English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 December 2001, 13:48   #1
Bloodwych

PC finally catching up to the Amiga way of thinking

Well, slowly but surely the PC has been trying to catch up to the Amiga and now they may be getting somewhere close.

They've tried to copy it's operating system, multitasking capabilities, plug and play ability and now they're going for the big one:

PC based on Amiga

Yes future PC's will look like the good old 'miggi.

The funny thing is they try and sell this as a new and innovative concept by calling it "Zero footprint PC". WTF?

How about old ideas rip off PC? Yep, thatís more like it...............
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 December 2001, 13:55   #2
Drake1009

And here I thought they were going to scrap the floppies. I know IBM were encouraging people to scrap them.
Old 08 December 2001, 14:10   #3
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Hehe, I love the replies at the bottom

Like someone said there, it's nothing new for PCs. I've already seen some other PCs like this.

BTW: Did you notice that also the 'skin'-function for various programs is a 'step back'? Nearly all copy-programs for the Amiga had their own look & feel (X-Copy). On the PC-side, everything was always Win-colour-like, but now people start to skin their whole windows.
Old 08 December 2001, 14:41   #4
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I always liked the "disk into the keyboard" concept, rather than having a big ugly tower in front of you.
Old 09 December 2001, 02:22   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

What was really annoying on that page is the idiots who replied to it. It seems not one of them bothered to read the other replies, they just blurted out "This is not new...the Commie 64 did it before...", completely oblivious to the previous 10 people who already said that. A page full of replies to make three different points!
Old 09 December 2001, 04:36   #6
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

This is going to be a massive flop. I correct myself. Its going to be so forgetful, so...ignored..that it will be a flop alright. It just won't register.
Old 09 December 2001, 06:55   #7
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Going for a "new-look" in PC's is nothing new.
Look at when Apple introduced the IMAC-all of a sudden, PC cases were sporting extra bits of multi-coloured plastic on them.

I'm not a Mac user, so don't take this as an attack on them, but I must ask, for all the hype on the IMAC's & their looks etc., they don't look terribly upgradeable in terms of PCI/AGP & other expansion slots?

I'm just curious-compared to your typical ATX case based full-sized PC M/B how does the average Mac compare for expansion options. (I mean in terms of spare bays/slots etc., not in terms of Firewire, USB etc.)
Old 09 December 2001, 10:36   #8
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin' Ghost
It seems not one of them bothered to read the other replies, they just blurted out "This is not new...the Commie 64 did it before...", completely oblivious to the previous 10 people who already said that. A page full of replies to make three different points!
I think it's only fair to hammer this fact into people's mind, when the author tells you that this is something completely new. I don't think a lot of people are interested in the user comments, probably only the headline/article.
Old 10 December 2001, 19:33   #9
Akira

This is barely new in the PC world! Amstrad did it in the 90s, with their PC10 and PC20 computers. Take a look:

Innovative, my arse. I'd liek to score one of these though, since they will be a flop, they are bound to be rare in a few years

With a P3 or celeron inside, they must heat up like hot bitches!

[edit] This machine is from 1986! Take that, zerofootprint my arse
Old 10 December 2001, 21:31   #10
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
With a P3 or celeron inside, they must heat up like hot bitches!

Don't forget there are 1GHz + Laptops available now, and they don't tend to heat up too much. I think the design of these *cough* new *cough* items will make them easier to cool.

There IS a USB keyboard available ATM with a Floppy drive or ZIP Drive available inside it, I'll try to dig up the link.
Old 07 May 2002, 13:55   #11
Bloodwych

Here is another review of the "novel" *cough cough* "zero footprint PC".

"Old School" PC more like.

Whatever happened to originality?

Old School PC finally released

I like this line in the conclusion:

Quote:
So now that you have seen this unique PC, do you have any ideas for what you could use it for? It is well suited to the workplace, but what else might it be used for?
Erm, I'm saying nothing . Get yourself over to via hardware and post your opinion on this "novel" concept!

Via hardware main page

Last edited by Bloodwych; 07 May 2002 at 14:02.
Old 07 May 2002, 14:10   #12
oldpx

That one seems prettier but it's just another x86 machine. There was another similar machine that is bundled with amithlon and called amiga x1200 or something. An amiga hardware site lists it in "amiga models" Now that really sucks. I cannot find the site or it's name right now.

Old 21 May 2002, 22:56   #13
Daishi

Im hoping that someone will do a USB "natural" style keyboard with intergrated USB CD/DVD & Floppy drive.

I love my 1200 but it needs a serious power up

I like the upgrade options afforded by a tower but dont want to look at it or for it to take up valuable space.

Old 22 May 2002, 07:17   #14
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs down

Do we really want the PC to head in this direction? It was different back in the days of the classic Amiga's with the A500 & to a lesser extent the A1200. The A500 in particular with its custom Video & Sound capabilities were literally years ahead of the competition at the time,which meant the Computer was designed to last a few years.
Compare this to the low-end PC solutions of low grade Celrons with Intel810/15 integrated graphics & sound with no AGP slot, or integrated Athlon Via M/B.
These low-grade options today are not adequate at handling anything other than old low grade games,or purely business applications. If you want an all-round quality PC you have to pay for the sufficient expansion options,(AGP,PCI,USB,firewire,RAID etc.).
The differences between these shoddy low-end M/B footprints & the Amiga's,(for their capabilities at the time),make them incomparable. Until someone comes up with a sufficient design,(& I understand Nvidia has made an attempt with their chipset for the Athlon),they shouldn't bother.
Old 22 May 2002, 23:15   #15
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
i think alot of us dreamed of having an A4000 because of the power and the upgrade-ablity of it.... and i think a few of us have or would consider putting our A1200 in a tower....

... so, i just don't know.... could be good, could be bad?!?!?!?

and it is been possible to put a PC in a keyboard style case for ages, infact advent i have put all the important bits in a case no bigger than a black & white gameboy, you just have to plug in a keyboard as the box has a touch pad on it....

one thing is for sure.... the PC will never be as good as an Amiga.
AdSense AdSense