English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 November 2006, 05:42   #41
HCF
Zone Friend

Project D V1.2 lists One on One as parameter. Have you tried to copy it yet? Not sure if Quick Nibble will be enough to deprotect the game, never played it so no idea. Try RawCopy and Project D and then report back to us in case you encountered any problems with either one of the games.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 November 2006, 06:04   #42
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCF
Project D V1.2 lists One on One as parameter. Have you tried to copy it yet? Not sure if Quick Nibble will be enough to deprotect the game, never played it so no idea. Try RawCopy and Project D and then report back to us in case you encountered any problems with either one of the games.
I don't remember seeing it in the version someone uploaded to the Zone for me. Odd...maybe I just casually missed it. That happens a lot with me. I'll be home this weekend so I'll take a look.
Old 15 November 2006, 23:13   #43
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Otherwise, use XCopy in nibble mode and try that. It doesnt de-protect, but will make working backups of 98% of software.
Old 15 November 2006, 23:18   #44
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

I thought I had. I left about 19 posso boxes of disks behind when I moved, taking only the most vital disks condensed into two boxes. Sorry mate.

I think your memory serves you right, I seem to remember said magazine with the idea of typing it in. Never got round to it...

I'll have a gander on the disks I do have and see if the 3 different versions are there. Maybe not, I think once Xcopy, Cyclone and SCA fell into place, I only kept the original original (intended) disk copiers, and trashed the disks that had the older copiers. Thinking about it, the 3 versions were different, at least in terms of UI and functions. I cant recall details, but do remember that aforementioned morning session seeing differences between the three versions. When you talk about TrueCopy and SpecialCopy being variants, that rings a bell, although I dont recall Special Copy right now.
Old 15 November 2006, 23:19   #45
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewis
Otherwise, use XCopy in nibble mode and try that. It doesnt de-protect, but will make working backups of 98% of software.

Xcopy in nibble mode will NOT make working backups of 98% of Amiga software.

PDOS MFM - No
Copylock - No
Factor 5 MFM Longtrack - No
Speedlock - No
HLS - No
Other Longtrack MFM - No
Arc developments MFM - No
Sensible SOS - No

And thats just a couple off the top of my head!
Old 15 November 2006, 23:25   #46
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Dont take the 98% as an exact figure but it did do most/majority of titles. And what it didn't.... hardware.
Old 16 November 2006, 01:34   #47
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

no offence like, but 98% isn't remotely close. All of the above protections, especially Copylock were numerous in their usage.

Just a thought
Old 16 November 2006, 01:36   #48
HCF
Zone Friend

The magazine was 68,000er, for SoloCopy that is.
TrueCopy and TrueCopy II were written by the same author and look somewhat similar so I thought that maybe you were thinking of those as being version of Mastercopier. They had these colored little boxes and copying a disk would take quite some time (did it even write simultaneously?), however, it was nice to get very detailed error messages. Special Copy, also from the same author, only uses external drives.

With regard to making backups of Amiga software without hardware, I'd say it went from maybe 90% (in the olden days) to 40% or less due to tougher protection.
Old 17 November 2006, 04:10   #49
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

My ProjectD version is 2.0. I'm still waiting for the SPS people to mail me back my disks that I had them dump, one of them being One on One. I completely forgot.
Old 17 November 2006, 14:20   #50
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
no offence like, but 98% isn't remotely close. All of the above protections, especially Copylock were numerous in their usage.

Just a thought
I must admit it was the first figure that flew out of my rectum :-)

<pedant mode on > But I was including the 4000 or so PD disks in that figure<pedant mode off><fills in hole behind him>
Old 17 November 2006, 14:28   #51
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Its probably been about 17 years since I used it, so honestly couldn't say, but I know I did have 3 'different' versions.

Hmm, can't say that 68'000er rings a bell. I don't have a copy lying around, but there have been 8 house moves since, then, No 6 having left an awful of stuff behind.

Dont have the disk from the book, only the disk from "Amiga DOS inside & out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCF
TrueCopy and TrueCopy II were written by the same author and look somewhat similar so I thought that maybe you were thinking of those as being version of Mastercopier. They had these colored little boxes and copying a disk would take quite some time (did it even write simultaneously?).
Old 05 January 2007, 19:32   #52
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
*bump*

About Rob Northern Protection. I have a tool written by Rebel which copies a Rob Northern disk to a similar format which the disk loader can still handle, but one which can be nibble copied. Never tried it mind.

There are tons of great little utils out there which can not be found easily (or at all) on the net. I keep meaning to make an archive of them. I should start uploading some stuff to the files area of the dev exotica site.
Old 05 January 2007, 19:39   #53
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz
*bump*

About Rob Northern Protection. I have a tool written by Rebel which copies a Rob Northern disk to a similar format which the disk loader can still handle, but one which can be nibble copied. Never tried it mind.

There are tons of great little utils out there which can not be found easily (or at all) on the net. I keep meaning to make an archive of them. I should start uploading some stuff to the files area of the dev exotica site.

thats quite an old util that only works on Series 1 Copylocks. There was also a tool by Slag/Quartex that would completely ignore the Copylock, and hunt for the original bootblock on the disk and copy it back over the original bootblock.
Old 05 January 2007, 22:00   #54
BuZz

Galahad. As you've been around a while, I can imagine you have a rather nice amount of old stuff (utils and the like). Fancy archiving some up for me (and others) to look through. Especially things like warpers / coders tools / rare audio software / and so on, as these are hard to find these days

that would be great anyway :-)
Old 05 January 2007, 22:06   #55
WayneK

I second that (not the Galahad being around a while bit, since I remember when he was in LSD...) - would be great to see some of the old crackers tools from the scene's most active period
Old 05 January 2007, 22:14   #56
BuZz

One thing ive been wondering about *going offtopic*. I had a beta of SIM (simbug the debugger) 2 at some point. I think I still have it, but does anyone know if it was finished ? there is a version 1.72 of sim(bug) on aminet. I can't find any signs of a newer release. that was an excellent monitor/debugger. I still use it infact (but the older 1.72 version)
Old 25 July 2008, 19:51   #57
GlennFuller

Reply to HCF - estate willing to release Ben's material?

Unfortunately the Amiga equipment and files never had anything on them, but I did resurrect code for Project D 1992 version in backup floppies. The roommates: Dan Sletten and Patrick Ellis didn't know about Amiga I suppose, and I presumed it would be in the boxes. When I finally got around to it the roommates were not talking with the family which was around Christmas 2002. I understand that Anthony Wood may have chosen some equipment, but you would have to check with Ben's former roommates. Patrick was enganged to a Tara McLarnon and before he joined her in Charlottesville, VA Ben died. Apparently since he is with Rokulabs.com he didn't make the trip.

"Wonder if the estate of Ben Fuller would be willing to release the Amiga material he worked on. "

"15 November 2006, 01:17 #37
HCF
Zone Friend
Oh no, I made a mistake. Deep Copy is also a parameter for the Mirror Copier, so yes, it was not just a parameter for Amiga Copy. By the way, the source code refers to it as Amiga Copy V1.2, the label is text4 (in my version of the source code, feel free to check, maybe there is more than one version).

Wonder if the estate of Ben Fuller would be willing to release the Amiga material he worked on. The programs, while not the best for copy protections, were very colorful and I liked the user interface (the Xerox machine comes to mind...). From what I heard from an Atari ST user, Project D was able to copy protected disks easily. But then again, why would we care...lol"

Old 26 July 2008, 02:09   #58
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

@boing_1000

So, did you ever manage to backup Arkanoid?

I have found a spare hardware copier.... (I have SCA, I bore everyone to death with that) and found in my toolkit a Cyclone adaptor, and a.n.other hardware copier 'dongle'...
Old 26 July 2008, 03:06   #59
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

I've got an internal Super Card AMI-II card that I'm not using. Would that be of any use in the quest to get a good backup?

P.S. If anyone is interested in buying this card, send me a PM. It's complete in box with manual and disk.

Last edited by gklinger; 26 July 2008 at 03:49.
Old 26 July 2008, 03:20   #60
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

YHPM :-) Gimme gimme gimme
AdSense AdSense