English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Do you own/use Amiga Forever? - Multiple Choice Poll
Yes I find it a very useful package 21 14.48%
Yes it is worth the money 15 10.34%
Yes but I thought it was too expensive 14 9.66%
Yes but there are better alternatives 8 5.52%
Yes but it was not of much use to me and was a waste of money 12 8.28%
No 86 59.31%
I would consider it if there was a Lite version 10 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 30 October 2006, 12:14   #201
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbot
I believe the people who bemoan Cloanto for making money off of this software are the same ones who refused to upgrade from their A500 to an A3000 because "It looks like a pc" or refused to buy an A1200 because "It's so expensive" This cheapness helped bury Commodore and all the software houses who had their games pirated a day after release. You tightwads killed the Amiga community so don't try to lay blame on everyone else.
I just downloaded 6.0 off newsgroups, tried it on WinUAe and can honestly say, it sucks balls. Tossed it.
Fred the Fop is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 October 2006, 15:22   #202
EmuChicken
Senior Member
EmuChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nagoya, Japan (moved!)
Age: 34
Posts: 719
Quote:
I believe the people who bemoan Cloanto for making money off of this software are the same ones who refused to upgrade from their A500 to an A3000 because "It looks like a pc" or refused to buy an A1200 because "It's so expensive" This cheapness helped bury Commodore and all the software houses who had their games pirated a day after release. You tightwads killed the Amiga community so don't try to lay blame on everyone else.
... ermn, no... I didnt upgrade to an A3000 or an A1200 because I was completely content with my 2mb A500+ which ran all the games and did everything I needed. The only thing that the A1200 did extra was have AGA and extra expansion ports. Oh, and I was also a poor secondary school kid- up until 98 I lived and loved (I still love) my 500+

edit: The reason why I moan about cloanto is that theyre a company trying to get cash with little (if any) work
EmuChicken is offline  
Old 30 October 2006, 15:25   #203
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 41
Posts: 5,185
i do not bemoan Cloanto, and i don't like Cased Amigas... :P
Marcuz is offline  
Old 30 October 2006, 22:45   #204
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch
fisken uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Age: 37
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
I just downloaded 6.0 off newsgroups, tried it on WinUAe and can honestly say, it sucks balls. Tossed it.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke *waves ClassicWB flag*
fisken uno is offline  
Old 31 October 2006, 02:18   #205
Ultron
Something

Ultron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Amigaland, Nostalgia
Age: 42
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
I just downloaded 6.0 off newsgroups, tried it on WinUAe and can honestly say, it sucks balls. Tossed it.
A recent study of prostitutes well learned in the craft of sucking balls showed that even that is preferable to using Amiga Forever.
Ultron is offline  
Old 31 October 2006, 13:20   #206
JonSick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 240
In all honesty, Cloanto bought the Amiga brand. Anything they have done with it has been minimal. They have to make some money back off of their investment, this is called business!

Would you buy something for a few million to just sit there and do not very much - better still give it away free? No, course not.

But that said, even if they sold a billion copies of AF, I doubt they would ever do anything constructive with the technology.
JonSick is offline  
Old 02 November 2006, 21:44   #207
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator
Graham Humphrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Age: 31
Posts: 10,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbot
I believe the people who bemoan Cloanto for making money off of this software are the same ones who refused to upgrade from their A500 to an A3000 because "It looks like a pc" or refused to buy an A1200 because "It's so expensive" This cheapness helped bury Commodore and all the software houses who had their games pirated a day after release. You tightwads killed the Amiga community so don't try to lay blame on everyone else.
So not Commodore or Escom then?

Piracy did not kill the Amiga. Every machine in history has suffered from piracy - certainly the PC hasn't suffered from it. 8-bit machines like the Spectrum and C64 had huge amounts of piracy but were still incredibly popular and loads of companies still supported them.
Graham Humphrey is offline  
Old 03 November 2006, 20:25   #208
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Age: 46
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
Every machine in history has suffered from piracy - certainly the PC hasn't suffered from it.
PC games make ~10x less money than console games because of increased piracy. How can you say that the PC hasn't suffered from piracy? Because of piracy, console games, which are traditionally harder to pirate, overtook computer games that were more popular in the 80s and early 90s.
adolescent is offline  
Old 04 November 2006, 07:14   #209
EmuChicken
Senior Member
EmuChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nagoya, Japan (moved!)
Age: 34
Posts: 719
EVERY game I bought for my snes was used before hand. - the games were far too expensive new!

I bought shedloads of new games for my amiga, - the boxes were troublesome to store though. . . But that aside I also copied a few games for the amiga. - I just wish I bought the good games!

Another thing to note- I bought all my games new for the amstrad cpc- and there were a LOT, maybe around 300.... jeezus! 3-5 quid a game- bargain!

So if you work it out, I paid more cash into the Amiga or CPC than the console market by far!
EmuChicken is offline  
Old 04 November 2006, 20:25   #210
Evore
SuperDude
Evore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: iN mY iPod
Age: 39
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolescent
PC games make ~10x less money than console games because of increased piracy. How can you say that the PC hasn't suffered from piracy? Because of piracy, console games, which are traditionally harder to pirate, overtook computer games that were more popular in the 80s and early 90s.
Dude, console is made only for one thing: playing games. With PC you can use linux and freeware / shareware games, that means i you're a politically correct geek you never have to pirate any games, and still can play and work with your PC. Just remember to delete any games that exeed the evaluation period and d/l new games with new periods of evaluation time...

There's no point to buy a console if you can't afford to buy the games.

A hard-core d/l freak once told me he never buys any games because he wants to support the cracker groups... , but I think buying games is better than pirating.
Evore is offline  
Old 05 November 2006, 00:00   #211
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: #Confefe
Age: 45
Posts: 2,284
Reason PC games suffer in sales is compatibility, not piracy.

Just last of couple games I bought I will not be able to play untill I upgrade my PC. (It's Athlon XP 2800 with Asus NVidia 64MB card) Most games don't even start, or they have huge perofrmance issues.

Consoles don't have this kind of problems...
Anubis is offline  
Old 05 November 2006, 09:52   #212
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Age: 46
Posts: 1,064
@Anubis

But, what about games that are never released for PC? Even your 2800+ with crap video card matches up with the PS2, GCN, and Xbox. There is no technical reason for not porting games, it's just not cost effective because people don't buy PC games.
adolescent is offline  
Old 05 November 2006, 09:54   #213
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Age: 46
Posts: 1,064
@EmuChicken

That's why I said 80s to early 90s. The home computer used to be king.
adolescent is offline  
Old 05 November 2006, 15:29   #214
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator
Graham Humphrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Age: 31
Posts: 10,974
Just realised that my post doesn't actually make any sense. What I meant to say is that the PC suffered/suffers from massive piracy, but it never killed the PC off. I don't deny that it affects sales of games, although I realise I could be seen as contradicting myself.

Anyway, the point is: it didn't kill the Amiga.
Graham Humphrey is offline  
Old 05 November 2006, 18:57   #215
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Age: 46
Posts: 1,064
@Graham Humphrey

Agreed.
adolescent is offline  
Old 05 November 2006, 22:52   #216
rockersuke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madrid / Spain
Age: 50
Posts: 253
I understand that Cloanto is legally entitled to do with their property as they please. And that's legal. Piracy is piracy, and it's ilegal. No way around that.

And then again, Cloanto sucks, and that, with or without the law on their side, is also an undisputable truth. Downloading copyrighted soft is ilegal, telling the truth is not.

Once that's clear, people around here could start making long term plans to achieve what other retro-soft user comunities have reached in the past: freely distributable operative systems as Spectrum and Amstrad emulation users, for example, are currently (and legally) downloading without restrictions. That will certainly require great amonts of diplomacy, non-agressive pressure actions, and , of course, a lot of patience and goodwill.

I, personally, can see the day when Cloanto (or whoever has the copyright thing then) will realize that freely distributable Kickstart and WB disk would only help to enlarge the emulation user base, wich will open the door to more innovative and, that's the key, profitable ways to do their bussiness than wasting their time and efforts in closing webs (wich is causing obvious damage but won't stop the stuff beeing available in the net at all)

And current Amiga users could begin to settle the way for this to happen better than waste their time crossing insults and hypocrisy accusations.

Of course, that's just the optimistic in me!
rockersuke is offline  
Old 06 November 2006, 05:46   #217
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: #Confefe
Age: 45
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolescent
@Anubis

But, what about games that are never released for PC? Even your 2800+ with crap video card matches up with the PS2, GCN, and Xbox. There is no technical reason for not porting games, it's just not cost effective because people don't buy PC games.
Just as I said, compatibility issues are problem.

Comparing consoles with my PC is funny. Try to compare Amiga and SNES / Genesis. Many games were ported, and amiga still died.

There are still couple genres that are easier to play on PC, and I don't think that piracy is killing it. Mostly people who download games are the same one that will not spend money on them anyway...
Anubis is offline  
Old 06 November 2006, 14:09   #218
Jope
-
Jope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Helsinki / Finland
Age: 37
Posts: 6,358
Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Rockersuke, Cloanto merely has a distribution license for the KS and WB.. They do not own it in any way.. It's still Amiga Inc's intellectual property and Cloanto can not do what they please with it.

A bit like your local store selling DVD movies.. They are allowed to retail the DVD but do not own the content that is pressed onto the discs..

Of course my analogy is not perfect - Cloanto has a license to manufacture and distribute the media containing the Amiga Inc IP, whereas your supermarket only gets to buy the product from somewhere and sell it for profit.
Jope is offline  
Old 06 November 2006, 17:26   #219
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
There are still couple genres that are easier to play on PC, and I don't think that piracy is killing it. Mostly people who download games are the same one that will not spend money on them anyway...

HERE HERE Anubis!!!!! HERE HERE!!!!!
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 06 November 2006, 17:35   #220
lopos2000
Zone Friend
lopos2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cider is best In The West
Posts: 1,238
Piracy doesn't kill the software industry. It's the money grabbing software companies that kill it. Why not release software everybody can afford.? If Micros.. sell WinXp for 10 everybody can afford it and buy's it. Then there won't be any piracy at all. Same goes for games etc. .
lopos2000 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm new to all this - struggling with Cloanto Jim support.WinUAE 228 17 November 2013 22:58
The great GBA vs GP32 debate Antiriad Retrogaming General Discussion 71 12 April 2004 02:34

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.40173 seconds with 12 queries