English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 September 2006, 01:56   #21
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Last week I watched a bidding war erupt on a commen garden a1200 with some odds n ends. It sold for 180+

The only thing that stood out was the fact the 1200 was still fairly white in colour... I just dont get how it sold for that much lol
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 September 2006, 05:32   #22
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Geeze I should sell my 1200 then.
Old 28 September 2006, 06:35   #23
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
A decent looking A1200 (stock) should sell for over $100 easy in the US. Will you miss the a1200 if you sell it?
Old 28 September 2006, 08:25   #24
Sluggs
Amiga Fan!

Meh! You're all looking in the wrong places! Nobody heard of Car Boot sales? I got an A1200 a while ago for a fiver!

Got a boxed ZX Spectrum 128K, with LightGun and stuff, from a Charity shop not long back - Only 4.00! I guess some folk have more money than sense!
Old 28 September 2006, 08:34   #25
Unknown_K

a1200's are a bit rare in the US (all of them were purchased in the UK aparently and can be found in mint condition hanging from most trees these days). Just like c64 are found in every house in the US hiding in closets.
Old 28 September 2006, 11:05   #26
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
a1200's are a bit rare in the US (all of them were purchased in the UK aparently and can be found in mint condition hanging from most trees these days). Just like c64 are found in every house in the US hiding in closets.
Lol, same situation here in Sweden....actually Amiga's were very common here back in the old days but they seem to have just "vanished" but when they end up for sale a typical price for a vanilla A1200 is around $80-90 and an A600 $40-50
Old 28 September 2006, 11:11   #27
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggs
Meh! You're all looking in the wrong places! Nobody heard of Car Boot sales? I got an A1200 a while ago for a fiver!

Got a boxed ZX Spectrum 128K, with LightGun and stuff, from a Charity shop not long back - Only 4.00! I guess some folk have more money than sense!
I really wish I had never left the UK sometimes.
Old 28 September 2006, 11:27   #28
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
After 11 years here in the States I haven't seen single C64 or any other retro computer except some color macs. What happened to all those computers? Same for consoles. I haven't seen one in Garage/Yard sales at all.

USA sucks for retrogaming scene...
Old 28 September 2006, 11:59   #29
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Sadly the USA is the ultimate throw away society. It has the highest waste poundage per head of population in the developed world. Our beloved Amigas are likely in some landfill now...
Old 28 September 2006, 12:33   #30
Sluggs
Amiga Fan!

They do the same here too! Once a local computer shop just threw away about 5 perfectly working A1200 accelerator cards! I know this because i used to fish things out of their rubbish! They used to throw away all kinds of good stuff!
Old 28 September 2006, 12:48   #31
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
Sadly the USA is the ultimate throw away society. It has the highest waste poundage per head of population in the developed world. Our beloved Amigas are likely in some landfill now...
I don't think they would throw computer.

They sell bunch of ol' PC crap (even 486) and there are couple of shops that you can get old PCs and one shop where you can get (overpriced) old consoles. But none of them has anything with Commodore logo on it.
Old 28 September 2006, 17:22   #32
4pLaY

There was around 5 million Amigas sold worldwide in total! now lets say 3 of those ended up dead/trash there is now 2 left! and a bunch of these are idling in some closet/basement/etc these days! then the wild prices aint that bad! besides ist mostly real rare/wanted stuff that gets high prices.

Old 28 September 2006, 17:48   #33
jmmijo

Actually many areas around the US now have mandated recycling efforts and this is because of things like batteries and computers ending up in the landfills and leaching their chemicals into the local ground water table.

So it's very possible that many of these retro machines ended up in a recycling center and were basically scrapped for its raw/base materials
Old 28 September 2006, 17:50   #34
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Hey Yo!

Quote:
Well thanks for sharing that laugh, That PSU is soo yellowed, plastic will probably crumble in transit.
Quote:
but he's going to throw in some disks....but he cant guarantee what they will have on them!! A total bargain then
Quote:
and what 13 postage all about!? whats he posting an elephant?
FUNNY AS FUCK! I need to get my notebook out and make a note of this!

Cheers
Old 28 September 2006, 17:57   #35
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo
Actually many areas around the US now have mandated recycling efforts and this is because of things like batteries and computers ending up in the landfills and leaching their chemicals into the local ground water table.

So it's very possible that many of these retro machines ended up in a recycling center and were basically scrapped for its raw/base materials
In school we learned about the water cycle and how ever glass of water today contains at least a molecule of water that was once drunk by Julius Caesar... Maybe just maybe at least a molecule of your US Amigas are now in every PC and Mac in the world today!!!!!!!
Old 28 September 2006, 18:05   #36
davidpc

Hey Anubis, don't lose hope. A guy told me recently about finding an A1200 in a thrift shop here (Ohio) for less than $10. It was hiding in a pile of keyboards.
Old 28 September 2006, 22:54   #37
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Visit my house then lol I have:

my sons closet - 3 x a1200 and a cd32

My storage cupboard - 1 x perfect boxed a1200 and two commodore monitors

My storage shed - 1 huge box full of dead, half dead, mainboards of a1200's, a500's a a few a600's, keyboards, disk drives etc

Those were the days, I used to fix amigas and then all of a sudden everyone I knew with an amiga dumped them in favour of pc's, the offshoot of fixing these amiga's ment I ended up with most of them, including floppy disks (dam bloody things lol) had close to 3000+ at one point
Old 28 September 2006, 22:58   #38
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
We have the highest waste per poundage because of the packaging (everything you buy is individualy wrapped, or seperated to keep it from spoiling or getting damaged).

As far as Amigas getting tossed in the trash, have you seen what the gear has been getting sold for for the last decade? If anything people here like to squeeze the last dollar out of an item before they trash it. There is a huge market for used goods in the US, visit the local freecycle mailing list and see just what people will snap up and reuse. Computers seem to be an item that gets handed down a long way before it ends up in the trash.
Old 28 September 2006, 23:02   #39
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpc
Hey Anubis, don't lose hope. A guy told me recently about finding an A1200 in a thrift shop here (Ohio) for less than $10. It was hiding in a pile of keyboards.
And where in Ohio would that be?
Old 29 September 2006, 04:06   #40
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I wonder the same thing. Ohio is not far away from me (Michigan), so I might take a look.
AdSense AdSense