Megadrive/Genesis 10 18.87%
Neo Geo 4 7.55%
PC Engine/TurboGrafix-16 1 1.89%
Saturn 5 9.43%
Playstation 12 22.64%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 December 2001, 02:21   #41
Shadowfire

*ALL* *arcade* shootemups are cheap. Some are cheaper than others. BTW I wasn't implying that Blazing Star wasn't cheap.

I was saying that Magician Lord was VERY cheap once you break the 150,000 point barrier. Your game is over VERY soon, even if you're only on the 3rd level & have all your men. It gets a little tougher at 50,000 points, but it really might as well just say "GAME OVER" once you break that 150,000 point barrier. You get an almost continuous onslaught of the sine-wave flying/shooting bird things, as well as having to deal with whatever else is normally in the level (even during mini-boss fights! - but I dont know if it happens during boss battles cause I never survived thru the minibosses when my score was that high).

Like we didn't all know this, but the point of making the games kill you off like that was so that you'd put another quarter in. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but its retarded difficulty level absolutely does NOT make it the cream of the crop.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 December 2001, 02:37   #42
Jim

PlayStation.

Even ignoring the impressive hardware/game quality at the time, in my book it deserves to win purely for being the console that changed all consoles ! By that I mean the way it appealed to all audiences, and removed the stigma of consoles being just for kids.

Old 19 December 2001, 18:54   #43
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfire
[...]but the point of making the games kill you off like that was so that you'd put another quarter in. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but its retarded difficulty level absolutely does NOT make it the cream of the crop.
Two words:

DIP SWITCHING

It was customizable, arcade owners set it depending their cash needs. You can set it at your neo home system too, provided you got a dipswitch modboard

Besides, how comes people finish tehse games and thrash them with one hand tied to their backs and blindfolded? Something is wrong with US poor gamesplayers, not with the game Arcade games need mastering, this is oh so very true specially in shmups like R-Type.

The rewards of mastering such games are GREAT I'm a shitty gamesplayer but I like to master games and with lots of perseverance sometimes I acomplish the feat.

I think that after 8 years of playing R-Type 2, I only managed to get to level 4 or something. But I keep on coming back, I love what you call "cheap"... Tehse games are EVIL and I like that
Old 20 December 2001, 04:38   #44
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Akira , I see your point about mastering hard games, I love to do that too

but in Blazing Stars, well.. there are SEVERAL points that no matter what you do, there's NO WAY to avoid the bullets. If I am not mistaken, from level 5 on, the game throws you an absurd amount of bullets, and usually there's no blank space to pass through them.

And NO, it's not like Dodonpachi or other CAVE games, those games throw you a lot of bullets too, but you can avoid them ALL the time, and that's not the case with Blazing Star.

The only way you can finish Blazing Star is using tons of credits...

And I am not exactly a bad shmups player (have finished Armed Police Batrider in NORMAL level with only 1 credit says something for me )
Old 20 December 2001, 18:43   #45
Akira

Dodonpachi is for weaklings. The hit area of the ship is GIGANTIC. Try playing Feveron

If you lok at our Blazing Star review, you'll see The Postman has had no problem at level 5... you could ask him for advice (he he he he heeeee)
Old 21 December 2001, 04:41   #46
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Bah, feveron runs like shit on my PC .. strangely, Dodonpachi runs much better

one I really would kill to be able to play is Guwange ... man, that game is BRILLIANT, I played it on my mate's AMD Duron 850 Mhz, (And yet couldn't reach 60 fps, it runned at 40 fps), that game is just fantastic, probably the best cave shmup so far.

And it makes Feveron or Dodonpachi looks like River Raid ..

When I was playing, there was like 3 or 4 friends watching me, and in a certain point a HUGE amount of bullets came in my direction, and I dodged them all, then someone yelled "Damn, did you pass UNDER the bullets?"

When the level finished, he said "Now I saw it's a little guy running, I thought it was a ship... well, with all those bullets I can't see a thing"
Old 21 December 2001, 13:02   #47
RetroMan

@Shatterhand

Are we speaking of this game :

If so, itīs one of the BEST oneīs I ever played and itīs DAMN HARD
Old 22 December 2001, 05:26   #48
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yeah Retroman, that's the game

I know it's hard, I didn't manage to finish it with a single credit (I only say I finished an arcade game when I do it with a single credit) , but I didn't play it too much (it runs at 0.5 FPS in my PC).
But the game ISN'T cheap (no CAVE game is) , even when there are zillions of bullets in the screen,you always now there's at least one safe spot in the screen, and there's always a way to get there (even if it requires an absurd amount of dodge skills)

Look at your screenshot, there's an absurd (Actually, not THAT absurd, if you consider some other sections of the game) amount of bullets, and yet I can see many different ways to dodge them.

If anyone here has a fast computer, get Raine and this game (And other Cave games too ), that's a damn good shmup.
Old 22 December 2001, 11:59   #49
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
If anyone here has a fast computer, get Raine and this game (And other Cave games too ), that's a damn good shmup.
The game is also supported by MAME
Old 22 December 2001, 13:58   #50
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan

The game is also supported by MAME
If your playing it in MAME, you'll need an even faster computer

Luckily for me I have one
Old 22 December 2001, 14:27   #51
Akira

Use Raine. Nobody who really enjoys shmups would use MAME to play tehse gems.
Old 22 December 2001, 15:56   #52
RetroMan

Sorry, but I really donīt know what you guys are talking about This game runs fullspeed on my PIII 600MHz.
Old 22 December 2001, 15:59   #53
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Therefore, it would run fullspeed on a PII 400 mhz using RAINE
Old 22 December 2001, 16:02   #54
oldpx

Raine is DOS based isn't it?

Old 22 December 2001, 16:08   #55
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Yes, but the windows port used to run fine on my crappy old 366 mhz pc, most games ran full speed with that pile of crap.

MAME is good, but RAINE is better for games it supports.
Old 22 December 2001, 20:06   #56
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

If a game is supported by Mame and any other emulator, the other emulator usually is faster

The windows port of Raine runs FASTER than the DOS version in my computer, it has better sound options, and it runs big games that needs more memory.

and Raine is THE shmups emulator
Old 22 December 2001, 20:53   #57
oldpx

I tried it now. Looks really fast, but eagle display mode doesn't work for me and I get no sound at all and whatever I do I can't seem to enable scanlines.

Well It's fast after all

AdSense AdSense