English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 October 2006, 20:52   #41
rsn8887

I disagree, for the amiga/atari/c64/cpc the competition pro always was and still is the best and most precise joystick. And you hold it down on the table with the hand that pushes the firebutton anyways.

Concerning speed-link, I want to say it again: The competition pro usb from speed link has lag. It's almost unnoticeable at first but try to win r-type with it and you'll notice.

The 9-pin old school version from speed-link will most probably not have this lag, as it directly connects the microswitches to the 9 pin cable, without electronics in between (unless they seriously overcomplicate things and even mess that one up, e.g. by using crappy autofire circuitry or something!!!).

The Speed-link handling however feels fine to me and should honestly be compared to the full microswitched silver/blue competition pro edition from back in the day. That one had microswitched fire buttons, just like the speed-link. Feels the same to me. The black/red sticks from back then had less travel, I agree. But the blue/silver ones were pretty darn similar to speed-link.

However, that c-clamp that holds the stick in place vertically comes off way to easy in the speed-link version. That means you are required to open it up and re-attach the clamp, a LOT.

If you do a search for vintage gaming stores in usa, you will probably be able to find some cheap original used competition pros. I found mine from an online store in washington. However, they are truly old school, in the sense that I got the ones with no microswitches at all but heck they still work great. And if those break, you just bend those little metal contacts a bit, no need to replace any microswitches. And microswitches _do_ go bad eventually. Usually faster than one might thing, especially when man-handling the stick. I broke soo many microswitches....
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 October 2006, 20:54   #42
rsn8887

edit: oh yeah and they tend to super expensive on e-bay for no reason!
Old 26 October 2006, 21:53   #43
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887
I disagree, for the amiga/atari/c64/cpc the competition pro always was and still is the best and most precise joystick. And you hold it down on the table with the hand that pushes the firebutton anyways.

Concerning speed-link, I want to say it again: The competition pro usb from speed link has lag. It's almost unnoticeable at first but try to win r-type with it and you'll notice.

The 9-pin old school version from speed-link will most probably not have this lag, as it directly connects the microswitches to the 9 pin cable, without electronics in between (unless they seriously overcomplicate things and even mess that one up, e.g. by using crappy autofire circuitry or something!!!).

The Speed-link handling however feels fine to me and should honestly be compared to the full microswitched silver/blue competition pro edition from back in the day. That one had microswitched fire buttons, just like the speed-link. Feels the same to me. The black/red sticks from back then had less travel, I agree. But the blue/silver ones were pretty darn similar to speed-link.

However, that c-clamp that holds the stick in place vertically comes off way to easy in the speed-link version. That means you are required to open it up and re-attach the clamp, a LOT.

If you do a search for vintage gaming stores in usa, you will probably be able to find some cheap original used competition pros. I found mine from an online store in washington. However, they are truly old school, in the sense that I got the ones with no microswitches at all but heck they still work great. And if those break, you just bend those little metal contacts a bit, no need to replace any microswitches. And microswitches _do_ go bad eventually. Usually faster than one might thing, especially when man-handling the stick. I broke soo many microswitches....
Oh ok ! i know more who had back in the day Quickshots than what you call "competition pro" ! you can't do precise moves with a competition pro.
i have tested mine on many games and you can't achieve precision playing.
when i do have to jump fast and accurate at a pixel's distance, this is not
the pad to use. Just take a look at recordedamigagames, Ironclaw's site,
how i have killed Jim power straight to the end, i have done it with a Professional quickshot model ! the feeling when you play is 20 times better,
it's slick, smooth, you are the master of the game !

Did you check the XE-1sg i presented ? try to find this one if you can win it
over ebay and come here talk about how it feels. My pants that you'll marry it !
Old 26 October 2006, 23:54   #44
demoniac

I had Quickshot II Turbo. It was pretty good until one of the springs would break. I ended up breaking 3 of them.

http://www.atariguide.com/10/1019.htm

I still have a Terminator Grenade Joystick. It has industry sized switches that can be found in home improvement hardware stores. I removed the lead weight as it would cause the grenade to drop to the floor and split open. Other than that, I don't see it breaking down.
Old 26 October 2006, 23:55   #45
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
LOL

Each to their own and all that...
I can only agree with Ironclaw. Coming from a sega background it didn't take long before I plugged in my master system pads. Never looked back after that.
  • Two or three buttons
  • Only need to move the thumb, not your whole wrist
  • Can easily press two buttons at the same time

These day's I'm a bit spoiled and prefer joysticks though (image)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69PK0004.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	12360  
Old 27 October 2006, 00:05   #46
rsn8887

Ok I will not say any more before I try some more other sticks.

@spiff:
Ah Magical Drop. So fast. So good. Especially in 2 ply vs.!
Only played it with a psx joypad on neoragex, but damn what a great game!
Old 27 October 2006, 08:02   #47
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Bought some new Competition sticks from new batch.
They dont have any lag, and feelin from play is really like original.

some interestin pics here (sorry, comments are only in czech)

http://amiga.probers.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90
Old 27 October 2006, 18:17   #48
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
I can only agree with Ironclaw. Coming from a sega background it didn't take long before I plugged in my master system pads.
I have to agree with Killergorilla on this, joysticks give you much more control and accuracy

I've had may consoles in my time; Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive, SNES, Playstation, Xbox etc... But Arcades are my true love

With consoles though, I always used to try and purchase joysticks if available...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
These day's I'm a bit spoiled and prefer joysticks though (image)
Nice joystick

I'm also a bit spoilt, I have one of these:

http://www.hanaho.com/Products/HotRodJoystick.php
Old 24 November 2006, 05:41   #49
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I just got my Competition Pro (Amiga version) joysticks from AmigaKit. They are much more solid and professionally done than I had expected - especially for the price.

Comparing them to my previous joysticks (Suncom Slik Stik), the Competition Pro stick needs to travel further and is much louder because of the microswitches (the Slik Stik is pretty quiet). The stick is longer too, so I have to get used to the different hand position and balance. The fire button must be pushed down further to fire and this seems to slow down quick firing a bit in games. Occasionally the fire button seems a bit "crunchy", but maybe this is because it is new. "Jumping accuracy" in some games seems a bit off, but I probably just have to get used to it. At least the jumps work properly, unlike my dying Slik Stik (which is why I needed a replacement in the first place).

Overall, I'm very happy with it and I'd recommend these joysticks to anybody who's not a psycho-perfectionist. Amigakit service is great too.
Old 24 November 2006, 12:54   #50
Photon

Why isn't Tac-II mentioned? It was great, and a hallmark in joystick history! Super tight and responsive, quiet, great buttons (but not for shooters), perfect for platformers! Pic here: http://www.ntrautanen.fi/computers/o...ac2_normal.jpg

For shooters I'd use a (digital) joypad, but the ultimate, all-round joystick is an arcade panel box with a Superjoy (something like http://www.quarterarcade.com/img/vol2/1271_0_pf.jpg) and blade switch buttons. I have a panel for it, just need time to make a box and paint it and connect a joystick plug.
Old 24 November 2006, 16:33   #51
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Send a message via MSN to P-J
I always used to swear by these. Perfect joystick.
Old 24 November 2006, 19:33   #52
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Eh folk how do you do t use this joystick ? when i use mine it's like playing with my D**k in hard mode LMAOOO ahahah ^^ !

very good for unprecise games like cars games like CC3, lotus turbo 1,2,3, etc...

arffff lool ^^
Old 24 November 2006, 21:44   #53
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
Eh folk how do you do t use this joystick ? when i use mine it's like playing with my D**k in hard mode LMAOOO ahahah ^^ !

very good for unprecise games like cars games like CC3, lotus turbo 1,2,3, etc...

arffff lool ^^
Don't play with your Penis, Denis. Not on a friday. It's the day of the Lord in some religion I think

But seriously, Tac-2. Tac-2 with an autofire switch would be a dream come true. Shouldn't be too hard to put a 555 timer, a resistor and some stuff on one of the buttons. (There's two with the same function, so it works for both left- and righthanded players, you see.)
Old 24 November 2006, 23:20   #54
StarEye
Zone Friend

You know, this topic isn't about which joystick you prefer (we know now which dlfrsilver prefers).
AdSense AdSense