English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 September 2006, 01:17   #21
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

The Mini Pro feels nice, but the switches are rubbish.
They use the same type of microswitch used in computer mice, which aren't up to the job and break rapidly. Diagional movement is poor also.
Go for the original 'big one' if you have the choice.
Cheers
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 September 2006, 07:55   #22
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
http://www.jschoenfeld.com/news/news117_e.htm

It's not quite the Suzo Competition Pro, but close enough.. And you don't have to be ass-raped on ebay to get one. :-D
Old 29 September 2006, 10:53   #23
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Greek sticks

I`m pretty sure these Greek sticks are still sold... or at least available!

here they are
Old 29 September 2006, 13:48   #24
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
They are available, but they don't ship abroad. And don't even bother contacting them by e-mail, they never check it as only one member of the family speaks English and he doesn't get involved with CMS any more.

I guess I'm lucky I live in Athens.
Old 29 September 2006, 16:01   #25
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
Thanks amigakit ...but two of those are "flight/grip-type", one is joypad and the other is the awful Quickshot (the worst joystick I ever owned).
Quickshot was one of the best joysticks I had on amiga. Great for arcade and fighting games.
Old 29 September 2006, 18:52   #26
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21
They are available, but they don't ship abroad. And don't even bother contacting them by e-mail, they never check it as only one member of the family speaks English and he doesn't get involved with CMS any more.

I guess I'm lucky I live in Athens.
Maybe a certain eab memebr could hook us up
Old 29 September 2006, 20:09   #27
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

As said Jens Schoenfeld of Individual Computers is remaking the Competition Pro for the Amiga that man has his fingers in every pie.
Old 29 September 2006, 20:16   #28
Ironclaw
Banned

Never been a fan of joysticks.... gamepads is the best and most comfortable controller imo...

Used a sega gamepad with my miggy... 2 buttons... good in MK.. kick with one and punch with the other...
Old 29 September 2006, 21:11   #29
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
Never been a fan of joysticks.... gamepads is the best and most comfortable controller imo...

Used a sega gamepad with my miggy... 2 buttons... good in MK.. kick with one and punch with the other...
JOYSTICKS ROCK!

MK on the Amiga was bad. too few buttons goddamn!

With most amiga games using up as jump using a pad is burning evil!
Old 29 September 2006, 21:15   #30
Ironclaw
Banned

Could never jump straight up with a joystick .... always became up/forward or back/forward, rarely up.. with a gamepad it is easy to press the exact direction... have always thought that... therefore gamepad rules in my book .
Old 29 September 2006, 21:16   #31
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

What bloody joystick you been using?
Old 29 September 2006, 21:22   #32
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
What bloody joystick you been using?
Then, what bloody gamepad have YOU been using? ... cuz they rule, baby!
Old 29 September 2006, 21:25   #33
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Then, what bloody gamepad have YOU been using? ... cuz they rule, baby!
My point being that any decent microswitched stick is impossible to confuse up and up/right with...

As for gamepads, they're great for md, snes stuff but anything designed for a stick (mainly arcade and amiga games) is terrible due to up being jump. EVIL.
Old 29 September 2006, 21:32   #34
Ironclaw
Banned

Ye ye .... me love pad, you stick, ugh!

Also, it's a bit gay to play with a stick, don't you think? ... a pad is more manlier ...

Enough... you keep playing with your stick, and your friends sticks if they allow it .. I play with my gamepad of total ruleness.
Old 30 September 2006, 16:24   #35
dirkies
Zone Friend

the USB variant of the original CompPro is NOT identical in feel, it is more clicky and requires slightly more distance to cover, the original has a more solid feel and does not require extra millimeters to move from L to R etc.

Same remark for buttons, the original ones are silent and do not need to travel more than 1 or 2mm to make contact, the new ones feel like you got to push it real deep and the dreaded click again can be heard.

I would really like to have a perfect feel CompPro model for USB and 9pin Dsub for retrogamers... makes me feel melancholic remembering in a store back in the mid 80s seeing a whole cubic meter of original Suzo CompPro joysticks for sale, not zipsticks or other copycats!

I was quite honestly a bit disappointed, and already opened up one to see if I could tighten the stick a bit to make it feel like the compPro, but no luck

At least I am lucky still to have 2 original CompPro sticks I had since 1985 from my C64!!! One with a red handle and one with a black handle. They still work perfect (once I had to open one up back in 1988 I believe since the dipswitch was jammed, but it popped out instantly and still works 18 years later as it always did)

I never got used to gamepads, I prefer to have something fixed on a table and play like that, not waving with the gamepad in my hands like a moron in virtual space... the WII gamepad may make me look less stupid when I will touch it!!
Old 30 September 2006, 17:22   #36
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:

LOL

Each to their own and all that... but I'm a bit surprised that you like gamepads over joysticks, especially as I'm sure I've read somewhere that you consider yourself to be the master of fighting games...

Personally I love joysticks much more than gamepads, hence the reason for me having a wicked HotRod SE for arcade use instead of just using my Xbox pads. You get much more control / precision, it's in a totally different league

Tell me how the hell can you pull off maneuvers in Street Fighter II (e.g. Zangief's pole driver i.e. 360 degrees spin) or in The King of Fighters series (e.g. "special" moves i.e. half circle from back to forward then half circle forward to back) on a gamepad???
Old 30 September 2006, 19:36   #37
Ironclaw
Banned

As I started out playing some fighting games on arcade (which only have sticks), I play best in some games with a stick.. but if it's a new game, I do best with a gamepad.. I have no problem doing all those hcf (half circle forward, 380 degrees and stuff. ,, it's just as easy as with a stick imo.. but a gamepad is much more comfortable... then for those games, like MK where you have to press like b,b,cb, f, hfc... I also prefere gamepad... much more accurate... it's easier for me to press a direction with a pad than a joystick.... and the pad has smaller control area which gives faster stearing movement, if you get what I mean...

I kick as in Killer Instinct with both joystick and gamepad... played it like crazy on arcade, and then on snes with a KI fan buddy.....
Old 26 October 2006, 11:35   #38
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Is the Comp Pro (non USB) actually on sale anywhere yet?
Old 26 October 2006, 12:30   #39
shillard

For my money, you can't beat the old Quickshot II design, an absolute classic and perfect for use with Elite, Frontier, F/A-18, etc.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:41   #40
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
ohhhh my god !!!! i have a standard pro competion joystick, man it's
utter piece of shit ! there are many joysticks better than this one !

the quickshot 138-F was used by videogames editors for testing, is very
smooth when playing. But the best are quickshot 185-S, fully programmable,
2 buttons, and as good as a coin op stick.

the best amiga joystick is the XE1-Sega made in japan. The joystick is 2 buttons, has a stick solid and working exactly like coin-op sticks.

the competition pro has nothing to be stable on a table or a desk, and in hands it's painfull to use, just try twinworld or Jimpower, or even turrican,
impossible to do millimetered actions on screen. too imprecise to me as a player.

i have posted a thread of all my joysticks here on eab, have a look !

the link : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=25950

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 26 October 2006 at 12:49.
AdSense AdSense