English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 03 September 2006, 18:29   #1
Wepl

WHDLoadCD32

I have uploaded a new beta of WHDLoad 16.7.
Contained is a special version for the CD³² which is free and doesn't require a keyfile.
It would be nice if someone could test it on a real CD³², cause I tested only under WinUAE.

here an excerpt from the docs:
Quote:
WHDLoadCD32
WHDLoadCD32 is a special WHDLoad version to be used on the CD³². It has been optimized for this hardware and will therefore only run on a plain not expanded CD³². It will not run on SX-32 or any other machine.

These are the differences to the normal WHDLoad:

* it does not require nor use a WHDLoad keyfile, therefore CD's with WHDLoadCD32 on it can be distributed freely
* only the 68020 CPU is supported, this means also no MMU support
* fast memory is not supported
* there is absolut no writing support, neither savegames, highscores nor coredumps (a CD is usually read-only)
* many options have been removed which are not useful on a CD³² to make the executable smaller and save memory, check Usage and Options for which options are affected
* the following resload functions are not implemented and using them will terminate WHDLoad with a return value TDREASON_ILLEGALARGS:
o resload_DiskLoadDev
o resload_ProtectRead
o resload_ProtectReadWrite
o resload_ProtectWrite
o resload_ProtectRemove
o resload_ProtectSMC
* the following resload functions are dummies, they will do nothing but return always success:
o resload_SaveFile
o resload_SaveFileOffset
o resload_DeleteFile
* there is no freezer/monitor support build in
* there is no internal check for sufficient stackspace as in the normal WHDLoad, to my tests the default of 4096 bytes should enough for WHDLoadCD32

Tips and Tricks for using WHDLoad on a CD³²
The main problem on the CD³² is the limited main memory. There are only 2 MB of chip memory. Therefore the aim must be to get as much free memory as possible for WHDLoad and especially for the PreLoad operation. Make sure that no other programs are running while starting an installed program using WHDLoadCD32.

* If install gives the choice between diskimages and files use files. Because many smaller files can be better cached than less big files.
* If a install provides the ability to compress files using ProPack/FImp use it and compress all files (RNC1 gives best compression ratio). Compressed files need less memory for PreLoad and cause nearly no delay in loading speed.
* Use AllocMemReverse before running WHDLoadCD32 (or an adequate replacement). AllocMemReverse is a small program included in the dev-package of WHDLoad. It patches the exec function AllocMem to always use the memory attribute MEM_REVERSE for the allocations. This will cause that memory is allocated from the top of the free memory to the bottom and not from bottom to top as normal. And this will hold the lower memory regions free. The background is, that WHDLoad needs memory starting at address 0, the start of chipmem. All memory which is used in this lower region needs to be swapped out. For this additional memory is needed to hold the saved ram. The more memory is used in the low memory regions the less is available for the installed program and for preloading data files.
* Always use the Data option. PreLoad does not know which files will be loaded by the installed program, therefore it loads all files it finds. To avoid that unnecessary files are loaded create a directory which only contains the required files. Delete all obsolete stuff like #?.info, #?.Slave, ReadMe, Manual, .... Then call WHDLoad with Slave and Data directory as argument, e.g. WHDLoadCD32 :Slaves/XYZ.Slave Data=:data/XYZ PreLoad. There is no need to change the current directory to anywhere.
* Don't use XPK compressed data files. XPK decompression needs much memory because XPK libraries must be in memory, decompression itself needs memory and decompression will cause memory fragmentation.
If there are problems with specific installs please test with normal WHDLoad. Report such bugs only if it works with normal WHDLoad but not with WHDLoadCD32.
Old 03 September 2006, 21:03   #2
DamienD
Global Moderator

This is great news

I'm sure quite a few members here will be very happy about this and it will enable them to start / continue CD32 projects

Many thanks Wepl
Old 03 September 2006, 21:31   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Bert, this sounds like a great start.

If we can encourage future slave writers to patch any keyboard requirements to unused CD32 joypad buttons that would be excellent.
Old 03 September 2006, 21:45   #4
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
I like what I read!
Old 03 September 2006, 23:54   #5
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

Brilliant!!
At last being a CD32 fan won't make you a criminal anymore
Old 04 September 2006, 03:35   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Yes, that's excellent Wepl!
Thumbs up for so much support of these nice devices!

Might encourage some people to make "plug-and-play" CDs, i. e. games pre-installed on CD32!
The only downer is the low memory, which will not work with some games that need at least 2 MB fast mem etc...
Old 04 September 2006, 12:50   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

It's perfect IMO, makes the whdload compilations legal at last, and it means it can't be used as a replacement by people who haven't registered.

I still say get registering, it's the best piece of Amiga software still in development!
Old 04 September 2006, 14:29   #8
ungi
Amiga Games Historian

Nice thing! I hope that I won´t slow the developement of other whdload improvements for users of "real" Amigas, though. And I hope that I won´t bring lots of more problems for the guys that write the patches or compatibility problems with older fixes.

At the moment, unfortunately only rather few new patches a released. I wish I could code and write some fixes myself. There are so many interesting games that still don´t run on a newer machine and from harddisk :-((.

Isn´t there a way to employ a programmer from a country with low wages to write some whdload fixes? I certainly would contribute to pay him.
Old 04 September 2006, 16:24   #9
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Nice idea Wepl.
Old 04 September 2006, 22:04   #10
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

It Rocks!!!!!

Wepl, you've done what you said, and that's great!!!!!
Nice to see that voices of CD32 fans have been heard
I hope that Whitesnake will be able to use this masterpiece for his next release....
Many thanks again, i will not be "pirate" anymore

PS: I'll test it on my own compilation and will tell you the results
Old 04 September 2006, 22:18   #11
DamienD
Global Moderator

Rochabian is back from the dead

Please remove the R.I.P from your name my friend
Old 04 September 2006, 22:39   #12
jotd
Cat freak

Bert, you could also add this feature:

If WHDLoad cannot allocate shadowmem to return to the OS, then it does not, and starts the game anyway. However, you cannot quit but by resetting the console.

I did it for JST and I was able to run games requiring 1MB with 1 disk image (example: Magic Pockets).

To other ppl: don't ask keyboard remapping to joypad in whdload. This cannot be done easily and each game must be patched individually.
The best thing to do now is to get an old A2000 or A4000 keyboard.
Old 04 September 2006, 22:51   #13
Marcuz
Wurk???

just out of curiosity, i understand the matter of the distribution of legal cds, but why not, instead make compilations isos to be slipstreamed with your own registered copy? like Bloodwych' Classic Workbench ask you for your copy of original WB, but on Windows?
this practice is used for instance for to make downloaded services packs be merged with your original windows copy for futures reinstallations
Old 04 September 2006, 23:02   #14
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

The CD32 compilations can't be made on windows IIRC, they need to be made using an amiga and the .tm files don't they?

I could be bang wrong so someone feel free to correct me.
Old 05 September 2006, 12:49   #15
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

Only did mine with MakeCD, I don t know if there is any compatible tool on PC to add the CD32 signature.
Old 05 September 2006, 15:49   #16
BippyM

http://www.total-emu.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1926
Old 05 September 2006, 16:05   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I've just noticed that the CD32 version of whdload doesn't support executing on startup/cleanup..

This is quite handy to have, you can reboot the menu when you quit out of the game...
Old 06 September 2006, 11:32   #18
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd
Bert, you could also add this feature:

If WHDLoad cannot allocate shadowmem to return to the OS, then it does not, and starts the game anyway. However, you cannot quit but by resetting the console.
I have thought about. Maybe will do that.
But how many games are there which will require this? I think not many.
Games which require 1 MB should work with normal WHDLoadCD32.
Old 06 September 2006, 11:42   #19
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
I've just noticed that the CD32 version of whdload doesn't support executing on startup/cleanup..
This is quite handy to have, you can reboot the menu when you quit out of the game...
Why do you want to reboot after? I dont see any sense for that.
You should be happy to not need to reboot .
And if a reboot is wished you could do that after whdload's return by an extra command.
Old 06 September 2006, 11:51   #20
BippyM

@wepl: KG didn't mean reboot the amiga, he meant that the menu can be restarted if one was to quit out of a game