English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 July 2006, 21:44   #1
galu

JAVA Module player for cell phones?

(Not sure what forum to post in...)

Is there any Java MODplayer for mobile phones? I can't find anything like that for Java-enabled phones, only for Symbian ones and smartphones (phones running PocketPC OS).
If there isn't - why?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 July 2006, 22:11   #2
keropi

maybe because the java virtual machine used in mobiles lacks the abillity to control the sound hardware, and uses just some predefined commands to play midi/wav-amr files...
also think of that: how would you be able to choose mod files? they should be inside the JAR , meaning u would have to make manually a jar for each mod or a couple of them...
symbian/smartphones use C++ as a programming language, that gives much more flexibillity to good programmers...
Old 03 July 2006, 22:13   #3
Dizzy
Pirate

You might like to visit this site http://www.12345.fi/?page_id=5 he has some mod (from demos) transformed into mp3
Old 03 July 2006, 22:34   #4
galu

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
maybe because the java virtual machine used in mobiles lacks the abillity to control the sound hardware, and uses just some predefined commands to play midi/wav-amr files...
But there are - for example - java mp3 players, so this should not be problem.
Quote:
also think of that: how would you be able to choose mod files? they should be inside the JAR , meaning u would have to make manually a jar for each mod or a couple of them...
There is a java Gameboy emulator that requires to create a JAR archive (including emulator + selection of games ROMs) on PC using a simple script or even simple frontend. When launching an emulator applet/midlet/whatever on your phone, you choose ROMs from a menu. So this is also not a problem.
Quote:
symbian/smartphones use C++ as a programming language, that gives much more flexibillity to good programmers...
Of course, but many modern, very powerful phones supoport only Java - for example Sony Ericsson models (W8xx, K7xx). Not without a reason.

Well... is there a desktop module player in JAVA? Or java/javascript thingy for use on a website? I suppose that there isn't ...
Old 03 July 2006, 23:29   #5
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by galu
Of course, but many modern, very powerful phones supoport only Java - for example Sony Ericsson models (W8xx, K7xx). Not without a reason.
The phones you describe are far away from being "powerfull" ... they are only powerfull in specific tasks, like camera/mp3 decoding/etc, hardcoded functions on their DSP's... they are not intended for general use and can never give the user/programmer the freedom to code whatever he likes, he must always make comprimises to use only the functions available to the phone...
nothing, _nothing_ can beat an OS driven device, be it Symbian, PocketWin, etc... java is just a cheap addon (by cheap I do not mean bad or lame) for phones and a simple way to create simple apps and good enough games for the masses without having to spend much money on development/tools...
some exotic and demanding apps will never get to OS-app quality, even this gameboy emu (is it vboy?) will never reach an OS-app quality (vboy.symbian... )
Old 03 July 2006, 23:30   #6
keropi

also there are some computer java/js to play mods on websites, but the phone java implementation (J2ME) is only part of the java concept...
Old 29 December 2006, 20:54   #7
galu

I'm digging out this thread because I'd like to clarify some things :P

Quote:
Quote:
I've tested a j2me mp3 player called LyricShow - it's not that great as I could imagine, but it a) really works and b) it reads "external" mp3 files from memory card. I'm using SE K750i, which is basically the same phone as W8xx, K7xx, K6xx etc. LyricShow also works on many other MIDP2.0 phones.

And I've found this: http://musound.muforge.org/muxm/ - but it's just a module playback library, not a midlet.

...So I won't believe that modern, j2me-only phones cannot play MOD files because of some hardware or software limitations. They can't play MOD files just because no-one attempted to write a working player
AdSense AdSense