English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 July 2006, 03:47   #21
ChrisNZ
Amiga Mp3 creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete
Sorry man, I'll have to pick you up with that one but 128kbps is WAAAAY below CD quality. 320kbps is closer but still not actually cd quality (which is actually around 1400kbps) but probably overkill for this project. A happy comprimise between quality and file size is probably around 192kbps (although if you have 'super high quality equiptment' 256kbps is generally preferable)
Ya, sorry. I guess it was becasue many programs when you select the bit rate put 128 as cd quality..... I think even windows media player states that.

128kb vbr I use. I still have my bandwidth and space to think of...

........ HQ sample for ya!

Well here is the best I can do, however its 1 track and over 7mb....
vbr 256-320kbs average is 286kbs..

Last edited by ChrisNZ; 02 July 2006 at 04:48.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 July 2006, 03:52   #22
ChrisNZ
Amiga Mp3 creator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycreator[mds]
Hope Chris will read this here )

I finished the importend maintunes of Battle Squadron today. I recorded them using Amiga Paula 8bit as source, Analog Mixer and some other Equipment for recording. Anything recorded without to extreme Stereo, I only freshen up the sound by adding some exiter, chorus, reverb and some Filters. I think it is better for hearing over Headphones and HiFi equipment. Leech it here:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/psycho_mood...lesquadron.zip

The archive includes 4 128kbit streams, and 4 short previews in 64kbit stereo. 11 MB total

Use them if you like for your homepage, no problem. Some coments welcomed, how do you like it this way? The other too, leech as long the file is up, sorry only Lycos linked... sucks but I have no other great webspace left at the moment )
Great stuff, If you don't mind I'll add it to the site when i have time. Right now a bit busy. Don't worry I will give you credit for this too on my site when its uploaded.
Old 01 July 2006, 11:24   #23
Psycreator[mds]
Amiga Musician

Send a message via ICQ to Psycreator[mds] Send a message via AIM to Psycreator[mds]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNZ
Great stuff, If you don't mind I'll add it to the site when i have time. Right now a bit busy. Don't worry I will give you credit for this too on my site when its uploaded.
No problem, when you like it, use it of course. When I`m at home again on my own Miggy, I think I got an idea for another recorded track... perhab The Killing Game Show Ingame Tune, course it rocks too :O)
Old 02 July 2006, 02:05   #24
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
For most MP3's, variable bit rates (VBR) have the best of both worlds - small size due to increasing/decreasing bitrates as required.

All my mp3's are in VBR (variable bit rate) "alt preset standard" setting using a recommended lame build from hydrogenaudio.org. They can go as high as the max 320kbps if necessary and right down to the min at silent parts.
Yeah, I totally agree with this. I've recently been re-encoding some of my CD collection and have been using the 32Kbps min -> 320Kbps max VBR setting with the LAME encoder. The file size of a full 74min album is only about 5mb bigger than a 192Kbps file but with the benefit of the full 320kbps sound quality.

ChrisNZ: Fantastic site by the way man. Excellent design and functionality.

Last edited by mcbpete; 02 July 2006 at 02:12.
Old 02 July 2006, 04:29   #25
ChrisNZ
Amiga Mp3 creator

Big grin

Thanks to you guys here, I have improved my quality of my recordings (I belive). Ignore that flashback track.. This is the best quality I can get.. I think and belivie its almost 95% correct to the AMiga. 192kbs fixed - Encoded directly to mp3.

Some examples - http://www4.upload2.net/download/SXO...LASHBACKHQ.zip

Flashback main tune.

http://www.upload2.net/page/download...tRest.zip.html

Midnight resistance main tune.

All future recordings I will aim for this quality. Pyscreator - Does Midnight resistance pass your test?

I still think with a few more recordings, tweaking it I could even get it better.

I'm looking to redo flashback and pinball dreams as 192kbs and this qty.

Just need more damn time !!!
Old 02 July 2006, 11:21   #26
Bloodwych

Great work Chris! Glad you used the criticism positively to improve your site. Those mp3s sound fine to my ears but I don't have super sound equipment in the first place, or any decent headphones.

Fact is mp3 is by nature a compressed “lossy” format so as you said you're never going to get 100% and it's all about a decent trade off. I think your site is a great convenient way for people to quickly catch up with some nostalgic tunes.
Old 02 July 2006, 15:38   #27
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Nice work man, yeah like Bloodwych said glad you used the criticism positively to improve your site. I've [constuctively] criticised peoples sites before and they've just gone off in a big huff. CBR 192kbps should be fine for this sort of work so that's excellent news.
Old 02 July 2006, 23:31   #28
Psycreator[mds]
Amiga Musician

Send a message via ICQ to Psycreator[mds] Send a message via AIM to Psycreator[mds]
Hi Chris,
Sorry I`m not at home at the moment, and here I got no Monitor Headphones and Speaker for checking, I let you know in 2 Days if the quality fits. But the others are right, when you only work on digital Level for Recording and encoding to mp3, the soundquality cannot be better as the source is, so VBR encoding is the best way if you want something between small filesize and better quality on heavy dynamical parts. So it makes sense when you got gamemusic with more silent parts and loud parts, so VBR decreases the quality everytime where the full bandwith is not needed for a good result. On a Chiptune like those from Battle Squadron, VBR might be not so good, course chiptunes are flat sounding and allways push the dynamic to the maximum, there CBR encoding is better. Normaly I would say something between 128kbit and 192kbit mp3 quality is ok. Course The Paulachip can only play 28khz resolution maximum depending on the sample playback rate, this is far under what 128kbit can handle. So better trust your own ears when hearing.
Some gametune sounds are very Lofi, no matter what you try to tweak. There It makes no sense to use a higher bitrate in my opinion. So use 128kbit minimum for all, and higher when needed, my opinion. Better spare some webspace instead whenever you can for more sounds :O)
Old 03 July 2006, 01:02   #29
ChrisNZ
Amiga Mp3 creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Great work Chris! Glad you used the criticism positively to improve your site. Those mp3s sound fine to my ears but I don't have super sound equipment in the first place, or any decent headphones.

Fact is mp3 is by nature a compressed “lossy” format so as you said you're never going to get 100% and it's all about a decent trade off. I think your site is a great convenient way for people to quickly catch up with some nostalgic tunes.

Thanks. exactly what I was after. Easy way to listen to your old fav tunes. Without searching for trackers etc.

The only real problem is time now I think i have master what is close to amiga qaulity now. Or as close as you can get using mp3.

Just need to find time to record, uploaded/post all the tunes Slowly but surely it will happen.
Old 03 July 2006, 15:12   #30
ChrisNZ
Amiga Mp3 creator

Big grin

Quote:
Hi Chris,
Sorry I`m not at home at the moment, and here I got no Monitor Headphones and Speaker for checking, I let you know in 2 Days if the quality fits. But the others are right, when you only work on digital Level for Recording and encoding to mp3, the soundquality cannot be better as the source is, so VBR encoding is the best way if you want something between small filesize and better quality on heavy dynamical parts. So it makes sense when you got gamemusic with more silent parts and loud parts, so VBR decreases the quality everytime where the full bandwith is not needed for a good result. On a Chiptune like those from Battle Squadron, VBR might be not so good, course chiptunes are flat sounding and allways push the dynamic to the maximum, there CBR encoding is better. Normaly I would say something between 128kbit and 192kbit mp3 quality is ok. Course The Paulachip can only play 28khz resolution maximum depending on the sample playback rate, this is far under what 128kbit can handle. So better trust your own ears when hearing.
Some gametune sounds are very Lofi, no matter what you try to tweak. There It makes no sense to use a higher bitrate in my opinion. So use 128kbit minimum for all, and higher when needed, my opinion. Better spare some webspace instead whenever you can for more sounds :O)

Your work has been uploaded to my site, thanks. However the previews ran too fast. No idea why. For the meantime the preview feature is not included.

http://chrisnz.com/battle-squadron-amiga-music-mp3/
Old 03 July 2006, 20:41   #31
Psycreator[mds]
Amiga Musician

Big grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNZ
Your work has been uploaded to my site, thanks. However the previews ran too fast. No idea why. For the meantime the preview feature is not included.

http://chrisnz.com/battle-squadron-amiga-music-mp3/
Sounds strange to me, they are 64kbit in 22,05khz Stereo as far I can remember now. Could be your mp3 player cannot handle those frequence, or it is an driver problem. Or you could re-encode again from the mp3 for the preview, should work too.

And I saw you have no time for doing some tunes again at the moment, I let you know when I made some more, but for that I must be in my Studio again, still beeing in vacation at the moment ;o)
Old 05 July 2006, 01:17   #32
ChrisNZ
Amiga Mp3 creator

Thanks Pyscreator, I will have some time later. But soon I will be in Tenerife on holiday too.

After that I will have more time of course to add many more tunes to the site.
Old 05 July 2006, 09:26   #33
komunita

I love your site.

Please excuse the ignornace, but how do you download the MP3's ??
Old 06 July 2006, 19:43   #34
ChrisNZ
Amiga Mp3 creator

Smile Flashback - Resampled 192/kbs and now 21 tracks - incld 2 bonus

I have re-released flashback, its now all sampled at 192k/bs and additional 12 tracks! Including 2 bonus tracks.

Get it here http://chrisnz.com/flashback-amiga-music-mp3s/

Pyscreator - Hope you like this qaulity ! Its the best i produce!
Old 06 July 2006, 19:44   #35
ChrisNZ
Amiga Mp3 creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by komunita
I love your site.

Please excuse the ignornace, but how do you download the MP3's ??
Sorry its not so clear on some of my older posts (working on it), the download link is below the preview.
Old 06 July 2006, 21:40   #36
Psycreator[mds]
Amiga Musician

Hi Chris,
yo I checked the quality and it fits. But on those Flashback tunes it sounds a little bit confusing, perhabs to much Stereo Spread on both channels, perhabs simple MONO would be better there or in general. I did some new tunes by the way... 2 Tracks of Bouble Bobble and alls tracks of Dune1.. but must encode it first, I let you know when I'm ready again ok?
Old 07 July 2006, 01:49   #37
ChrisNZ
Amiga Mp3 creator

Quote:
Hi Chris,
yo I checked the quality and it fits. But on those Flashback tunes it sounds a little bit confusing, perhabs to much Stereo Spread on both channels, perhabs simple MONO would be better there or in general. I did some new tunes by the way... 2 Tracks of Bouble Bobble and alls tracks of Dune1.. but must encode it first, I let you know when I'm ready again ok?
Great thanks. Let me know when your done, but after today Im away for till the 19th.

Yeah its a hard one, stereo mix. Its either not enough or too much etc. I spent a long time with flashbacks and i think its really the best i can get it for headphone & stereos etc.
Old 24 July 2006, 00:40   #38
ChrisNZ
Amiga Mp3 creator

Added a lot of new Mp3's now...Also redo Shadow of the Beast.
Old 24 July 2006, 02:22   #39
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
@ChrisNZ Love the site! should do something like your site with mine i live beside the sea so could get some nice pics like yours!

Also did u say you'd re-done all the tunes to higher quality cause i've just downloaded agony intro tune and it's still 128kbps?

you'll have to watch your bandwidth of your site cause it will get hammerd round here

keep adding those tunes m8!

unlike some people i love the tunes as mp3's sort of future proofs them
Old 24 July 2006, 02:31   #40
Avanze
Amiga User

Awesome site man.
AdSense AdSense