English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 June 2006, 21:41   #1
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

Found A Classic!

I strolled into my local GameStation store yesterday and lo and behold I purchased a mint copy of the classic Diablo for the
http://uk.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/diablo/index.html

The game has 16 randomly generated labyrinths which are different every time! O.K, I know what your thinking...This is an old PC game every serious gamer has already played, but I have never played the PC version and have been looking for the PSX version for over 8 years. The wait has been worth it! My only gripe is that the gfx could have been a little sharper.

Browsing through the manual I noticed that the lead programmers were: Gary Liddon & Tim Swann. Is this the same Gary Liddon of Zzap64! fame?

IMHO this game could have been ported to the Amiga. Oh, well there's always "Tower Of Souls" for the rest of us, huh?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 June 2006, 21:58   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Never played it, just because i've heard/read, it doesn't store all items in the save, mostly those precious unique ones.

Despite that, graphics look cool, really cool - much more colorful, with kinda light-sourced effects here and there.

Donno why i never got it, back-in-the-days... me and my bud, only had PSX's (Amy's ofcourse too ), we used to read much about it in some PC mags, then a bit in some PSX mags when it came out, and still...

A year back, i've downloaded it from some torrent site, and it was corrupted - just got to the first loading screen... re-downloaded a diffrent (methinks) version from another site, and still a broken image, sheeeeesh
Old 05 June 2006, 21:59   #3
keropi

Diablo eh???
I bought the 2nd when it was out, can't really say I like the 1st one...
good for you
Old 05 June 2006, 22:04   #4
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

Here's a preview of the tasty PSX version
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diablo.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	11260  
Old 05 June 2006, 22:35   #5
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Browsing through the manual I noticed that the lead programmers were: Gary Liddon & Tim Swann. Is this the same Gary Liddon of Zzap64! fame?
Yes it is.
Old 06 June 2006, 01:01   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If you like games like this I really enjoyed "Dungeon Keeper" by bullfrog. Dungeon Keeper 2 is the better having been programmed in Direct3D and so is accelerated even today and well worth a go.
Old 06 June 2006, 01:36   #7
DamienD
Global Moderator

I must say that I purchased and have finished Diablo and Diablo II (plus expansion packs) on the PC. Love 'em

Can't wait for Diablo III (if it ever gets released)

Never played the Playstation version though...
Old 06 June 2006, 08:38   #8
keropi

so, is it any good???
Old 06 June 2006, 10:11   #9
blade002
Zone Friend

Before Diablo came along there was an Amiga Game Tower of Souls that i thought was quite a nice game. Many think Diablo was the first of its kind, but in my opinion Tower of Souls was.

But a good pick up Solid Snake!.. Well done.
Old 06 June 2006, 12:16   #10
Marcuz
Wurk???

well i prefered the first one than the second simply because it was simplier and it did not required you to spend ages inside, it was like the game gave you nice things already in the earliest levels. but getting to it now that you are maybe used to the type of gameplay of later episodes and clones it's kinda frustrating. great audio still.
Old 06 June 2006, 16:11   #11
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

Having never played the original PC version, I can't really compare it. However, the PSX version is quite playable on my big T.V. The controls have been mapped to the controller to make it intuitive and easy to pick up and play. For a game released in 1998, I can't figure out why the developers forgot to include analog pad support! (doh). This means you can only control your character using the D-Pad. Still, it's an enjoyable experience with adequate sfx and atmospheric music. You can save your progress at any time (takes up a whopping 10 blocks on your memory card) and a useful Auto Map feature is provided so you don't get lost in the dungeons. On your quest you can utilise a variety of medieval weapons and use the gold you earn to upgrade your armour, weapons, and buy potions, spells, etc.

Once I complete this game I will check out Diablo 2 & Dungeon Keeper.
I think both of these are available on budget re-release label.
Old 06 June 2006, 21:16   #12
Captain_ Kal

Diablo is a classic because, IMHO it created a new genre, the action RPG: an RPG light in story and heavy in action. It very entertaining, and it is very good as an entry level RPG. The same applies to itís sequel. But if you want a traditional RPG, try the Baldurs Gate series, the Gothic series, the Elder Scrolls series, and some genre mixing games like System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and Thief.
Old 06 June 2006, 21:27   #13
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Once I complete this game I will check out Diablo 2 & Dungeon Keeper.
I think both of these are available on budget re-release label.
Dont forget Diablo: Hellfire

http://www.ladyofthecake.com/diablo/
Old 06 June 2006, 21:39   #14
Ironclaw
Banned

Ahh diablo..... Just reinstalled it again. Diablo2 Expansion.... time to create a new Amazon. Battlenet/ladder only.
Old 06 June 2006, 21:49   #15
keropi

any chance of putting that on epsxe and take a couple of screenshots?
Old 15 June 2006, 13:56   #16
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
Before Diablo came along there was an Amiga Game Tower of Souls that i thought was quite a nice game. Many think Diablo was the first of its kind, but in my opinion Tower of Souls was.
There was a Diablo clone that was being developed around 1997/98 for Amiga/PC called Fortress of Fear that German coders, Digital Reality SoftworX were hoping to be better than Diablo. Unfortunately (particularly with respect to the Amiga version), it never was finished despite some reasonable progress. I've knocked up a HOL entry for it with quite a few attractive Amiga screenshots from the game:

http://hol.abime.net/4289

In the entry you will find links to the developer website where you can d/l demos for both Amiga and PC. I'd especially like to know what people think of the Amiga demo version and how it compares to the PC version (and also Diablo if a comparison can indeed be made).
Old 28 June 2006, 21:22   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I played both Diablo and Diablo 2. Diablo 1 I played single player only simply because at the time having your own internet connection was kinda special. It was fun, always hunting around for better items and seeing entire legions of enemies fall to your lighting spells, but after playing it for a few weeks the endless dungeons start to make it all very boring. Hellfire had only one fun addition to make: the cow in the field. I quote:

"moo. moooo. Look, I'm a cow okay!"

Diablo 2 was a blast to play online up to and including the 1.09 patch. Then the 1.10 patch was released and the game basically went to hell. Farmers and people using exploits completely destroyed the gameplay. The need for uber gear (which was impossible to get, except on e-bay) made the hell difficulty impossible to survive.

Now I play Guild Wars. It has all the good things of Diablo 2 and none of the bad (except for farmers screwing up the economy). The only problem with Guild Wars is that the game itself is no fun to play unless you MAKE it fun to play it, it actually requires that you take on a role in a team and play it to the fullest! Too bad about 25% of the players are just to stupid or ignorant to realise that.
Old 28 June 2006, 21:34   #18
bird
tRSi-iNNOVATiONs

i second that, guild wars is prolly one of the best games out there atm.
great pvp balance, the hard to find items just give you better/rarer skins so there is no need to grind, but if you want to you still can do it.
ex blizzard ppl, go figure
Old 29 June 2006, 00:22   #19
DamienD
Global Moderator

Hmmm, I love Diablo / Diablo 2 / Expansion Packs but I must say I'm not really a fan of Guild Wars...

I mean I know it very stragetic in terms of what character you select + what spells you choose etc. but to me it's just boring. The graphics are nice though...

Saying that, my flatmate has been playing this (and the new one) day in day out for the past 6 months now and keeps trying to get me involved.

I want Diablo 3

Have you heard about Titan Quest http://www.titanquestgame.com/
Old 29 June 2006, 09:27   #20
Dizzy
Pirate

I just read a review of Titan Quest. Sounds cool
AdSense AdSense