English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 25 July 2012, 21:04   #401
MethodGit

Game: Tower of Babel
Cracker: M.A.D.
Trainer: -
Files & CRC/MD5:
Tower of Babel v1.0 (1990)(Rainbird)[cr MAD].adf (71793412)
Notes:
Not all checksum checks have been patched out. Try accessing the options during the game or quitting back to the main menu, for instance. The QTX release gets round the checksum issues by undoing all its crack modifications just as the manual check is passed. Another, more minor note about the MAD crack is that the mouse cursor is permanently stuck in "Zzz Cloud" mode after the initial loading process.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 August 2012, 06:22   #402
tygre
Returning fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Files & CRC/MD5:
Notes:
Not all checksum checks have been patched out. Try accessing the options during the game or quitting back to the main menu, for instance. The QTX release gets round the checksum issues by undoing all its crack modifications just as the manual check is passed. Another, more minor note about the MAD crack is that the mouse cursor is permanently stuck in "Zzz Cloud" mode after the initial loading process.
Hi there!

I am new in this thread so I am not sure what it is for but I have a working version of Tower of Babel, on a disk with two other games (Castle Master and Hammerfist) by Triangle. ToB works, I am even able to save games The only thing is that I cannot change the display because ToB asks for "Please put the Tower of Babel Game Disk in DF0:". I guess that the disk should have a specific name, any idea?

Cheers!
Tygre
Old 02 September 2012, 02:32   #403
MethodGit

Alas, I wouldn't really know, tygre. I'm not very good at the game at all!

On a different note, I decided to playtest the old Fairlight crack of Hook again despite the existing knowledge that it isn't cracked properly and therefore a few key items will disappear from the rooms they're supposed to be in.

Well, the first one to make a disappearing trick is one of the mugs in the Crossed Swords, but this is kind of made moot by the fact you can take advantage of the "inventory glitch" in the Bait and Tackle to get an extra mug regardless. What's even more worrying is that it always - and I do mean always - freezes before loading the Jolliest Roger's Place - i.e. the Tavern room - so you can't even put those mugs to good use. I can only assume that however Gaston cracked the first copylock on Disk 2, it tripped one of the game's hidden checksums, of which Galahad said there are "lots". (And another thing I noticed is that - if loading from Disk 1 - once the intro has finished, it freezes/goes into a permanent RTE loop. Another sneaky checksum, no doubt.)

Lord knows why no-one spotted all of this and complained in their hundreds back then - we could've had a fixed version a lot sooner than over a decade later!

(Curiously, the JST HD version can load the tavern just fine, but on the other hand it always quits back to WB after Peter walks the plank - evidently Jeff didn't nip another of the game's copylocks back then!)
Old 02 September 2012, 10:39   #404
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Files & CRC/MD5:
Notes:

Yaaaay Quartex
Old 02 September 2012, 11:53   #405
lesta_smsc

QTX does it again!
Old 02 September 2012, 14:24   #406
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Alas, I wouldn't really know, tygre. I'm not very good at the game at all!

On a different note, I decided to playtest the old Fairlight crack of Hook again despite the existing knowledge that it isn't cracked properly and therefore a few key items will disappear from the rooms they're supposed to be in.

Well, the first one to make a disappearing trick is one of the mugs in the Crossed Swords, but this is kind of made moot by the fact you can take advantage of the "inventory glitch" in the Bait and Tackle to get an extra mug regardless. What's even more worrying is that it always - and I do mean always - freezes before loading the Jolliest Roger's Place - i.e. the Tavern room - so you can't even put those mugs to good use. I can only assume that however Gaston cracked the first copylock on Disk 2, it tripped one of the game's hidden checksums, of which Galahad said there are "lots". (And another thing I noticed is that - if loading from Disk 1 - once the intro has finished, it freezes/goes into a permanent RTE loop. Another sneaky checksum, no doubt.)

Lord knows why no-one spotted all of this and complained in their hundreds back then - we could've had a fixed version a lot sooner than over a decade later!

(Curiously, the JST HD version can load the tavern just fine, but on the other hand it always quits back to WB after Peter walks the plank - evidently Jeff didn't nip another of the game's copylocks back then!)
Incorrect. The checksums only activate if you modify any of the main game code, which neither i nor gaston did.
Old 02 September 2012, 16:52   #407
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Incorrect. The checksums only activate if you modify any of the main game code, which neither i nor gaston did.
Does 'main game code' include any/all of the copylock routines themselves? I remember doing some hardwire testing with the game a while back and noticed that although a hardwire of Disk 2's first copylock would go swimmingly (and yes, said hardwire even included adding that hidden flag needed for objects to appear later on), it would cause the game to freeze after entering the Bait and Tackle.
Old 02 September 2012, 16:56   #408
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

There is a good deal more than 1 copylock. The freeze you refer to is either a damaged.disk or checksum fault.
Old 02 September 2012, 17:33   #409
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
There is a good deal more than 1 copylock.
This I know, hence why I said Disk 2's first copylock.

Quote:
The freeze you refer to is either a damaged.disk or checksum fault.
I reckon WinUAE's debugger and its read/write monitoring function might help confirm any checksum issues...
Old 02 September 2012, 18:12   #410
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Any of the bad cracks that get identified also need to be fed into TOSEC Dats... is someone doing that?
Old 02 September 2012, 23:54   #411
dirkies
Zone Friend

interesting thread
But I don't understand those trying to put Fairlight in a bad light here, these guys were a monument in the C64 and Amiga scene in Belgium and most likely everywhere else too! (on Amiga together with Defjam & The Band my 3 fave groups), and thanks to their hard work I spent many hours of unforgettable fun.
Nobody's perfect, and they never pretended to be, and if a crack was bad, nothing prevented you to go buy the original.
Some respect for these guys would not hurt.
My only bad crack pain I had was Lords of the Rising Sun (QTX) but then I got my hands on the originals for cheap to ease the pain, and since a while somebody did a correct crack here. So I have peace of mind on personal experiences with bad cracks
Old 03 September 2012, 02:39   #412
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
If my .DMS file of disk 2 of Leander was done by Melnok, the file size looks reasonable. I'll check it out and get back to ya.
I sadly can confirm that my disk 2 of Melnok's crack of Leander is also bad. When trying it on my A500, it guru's when trying to read from disk 2 and on my 3000, it does seem to read some from disk 2, but the graphics are corrupt and the game never actually plays. I've tried Kickstart 3.1 and 1.3, NTSC and PAL, had disk 2 in DF0: and DF1: but haven't found a working combination. I suspect that when I created the .DMS, either the disk was already corrupt or the DMS got corrupted. I did play it back in the day on a fairly stock A2000 and believe it did work then. Unfortunately, I am no longer in contact with Melnok, and have no idea where the disk went that I used, so this crack may be lost.

Last edited by brett71; 03 September 2012 at 16:48.
Old 03 September 2012, 08:41   #413
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
interesting thread
But I don't understand those trying to put Fairlight in a bad light here [SNIP}
No idea why you think anyone is trying to diss FLT here - EVERY group without exception has made the odd mistake. This is just about identifying and fixing them!
Old 08 November 2012, 19:13   #414
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Kick Off 2 German cracked by Starlight and Kick Off 2 - The Final Whistle German cracked by Tarkus Team (as uploaded by Mussahi 9 in this thread) are both non-working cracks since all checksum checks were left intact.
Old 08 November 2012, 19:16   #415
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Kick Off 2 German cracked by Starlight and Kick Off 2 - The Final Whistle German cracked by Tarkus Team (as uploaded by Mussahi 9 in this thread) are both non-working cracks since all checksum checks were left intact.
Is the german "Black Monks" version fully cracked?
Old 08 November 2012, 19:37   #416
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I don't have a Black Monks version of KO2, if you upload it I can check.
Old 08 November 2012, 19:57   #417
mai

Quote:
I don't have a Black Monks version of KO2, if you upload it I can check.
zoned.
Old 08 November 2012, 20:13   #418
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Thanks, this is yet another crappy non-working KO 2 crack, none of the checksum checks has been removed! But there was some hidden message in the binary:

"- cracked by GADLER T.G. for LISA B. -"
Old 08 November 2012, 20:20   #419
mai

Quote:
Thanks, this is yet another crappy non-working KO 2 crack, none of the checksum checks has been removed! But there was some hidden message in the binary:

"- cracked by GADLER T.G. for LISA B. -"
Thanks, are you aware of a working german version, except your upcoming 100% release?
Old 22 November 2012, 11:47   #420
Vollldo

Quote:
So the "ATX" trained, 1-disked version seems to be the good one.
Cyberzerk (1993)(boeder)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr ACS][t +10 ATX]
C51A1FAD
1-disked version ??? Why is the file named "Disk 1 of 2" then ???

Quote:
Oxyd
Game: Oxyd
Cracker: SKR
Trainer: n/a
Files & CRC/MD5:
Oxyd (1992)(dongleware)(m3)[cr skr].adf
Notes:
Because of the crack, who eliminates all magic tokens, lvl 39 can't be completed. There's a magic token in the upper part of the lvl, which blocks a laser. If the magic token is destroyed, the laser hits the button and the door is forever closed. No chance of completing this lvl.
Is there any other working cracked version so ? I see a "Oxyd (1992)(Dongleware)(M3)[f HD][h NA][WB]" in the TOSEC set, so what about this one ?

Finally, i also did read here (but without being sure) that Gem'X isn't correctly cracked ? Can someone can confirm this or the contrary please (yes i know i am late as always lol) ? I see cracks by GIN, SSP and Two Life Crew.

Last edited by Vollldo; 22 November 2012 at 12:19.

AdSense AdSense