English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 May 2006, 18:02   #21
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Quick question: how much did/does a brand new A1 cost?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 May 2006, 01:22   #22
RetroMan

Not very cheap

All those mainboards were sold between 600 to 800 Euro ... depending which CPU etc. ....
Old 02 May 2006, 12:59   #23
Flink

Thank you all for our replies!

You see, I'm a telecommunications engineer with a strong emphasis on programming and control systems; I own 3 Macs (MacOS X Tiger), 2 PCs (Win and Linux), 1 Amiga4000 Towerized + WarpEngine '040 33Mhz (Amiga Workbench), 2 Amiga CD32s, 1 Nintendo Gamecube.

I understand what you say about this AmigaONE platform not being suited to develop for seriously, but it's AmigaOS 4 that I would like to develop for.

And it's not "serious". I don't want to make any money on this. I develop on the Mac, PC and Linux for that. I want to develop on the Amiga to try to strengthen a bit the platform, to contribute, for fun. Just like the Amiga was in those glorious days... I just loved the simplicity of Workbench.

Thing is my Amiga4000 is stopped at the moment, and although I will try to make it run again on it's old self (Workbench 3.1, I guess), I want to develop for the new OS, no matter what hardware they will run it on in the future.

So, I would like to get hold of a developer board and install the Hyperion AmigaOS 4 developer kit. But as some people mentioned, it seems to have vanished from sight... I can't seem to find it anywhere, not even on eBay second hand.

I confess I've lost track of the Amiga headings lately (I mean, in the last 3 years), but I think they need to define a hardware base so that AmigaOS 4 can be a viable platform. And although it might never cause Jobs, Bill or the Linux community any kind of chills at night, I'm sure it would find a niche market. The Amiga had this spirit that kept us smart and active. The Mac is the next best thing on a much greater scale, but I'm not ready to give up on the Amiga if I can contribute to make that spirit endure.

I spent lots of years as an Amiga user (A500 - A4000T). I loved each hour and I learned a lot from the computer and community. I'll keep trying to get the developer system from somewhere and update myself on the Amiga situation.

Old 02 May 2006, 13:10   #24
RetroMan

@Flink

You could develop for OS4 even if you don´t have it

Have a look here -> http://amidevcpp.amiga-world.de/index.php
Old 02 May 2006, 13:11   #25
Flink

Hi all!

After reading a bit on IntuitionBase, I came across the MicroA1 board, wich is exactly what I wanted!

The board is Mini-ITX sized and fits in the great cases for the Epia Mini-ITX boards. It also has an on-board graphics card ATI Radeon 7000.

Anyone here has one of these babies? Where did you get it from? Thanks!

Old 02 May 2006, 13:13   #26
RetroMan

Yup

I own a µA1 in a MicroTower

I got it from amiga-news.de in the marketplace forum (used of course) ....
Old 02 May 2006, 13:17   #27
Slayer
Amiga Member

Flink,

I have to say, you'd have to be one of the only people in recent times to actually post anything of great substance on EAB related to the Amiga...

good luck on your endevours and I for one shall appreciate your work, hell, in some years to come we might even work on a joint project...

all the power to us, but don't look for too much support here... there are a couple and then there are, well... I'm sure you've seen...

like back in the day, enjoy yourself in peace...
Old 02 May 2006, 17:25   #28
Flink

I'll investigate a bit further. All places I've seen selling the MicroAmigaONE online state they have none for sale and are waiting for another batch...

Slayer,

To be really honest, I'm still amazed at the Amiga community considering the circumstances. Most people would have thought that, by now, the Amiga was a long forgotten article in Wikipedia. But alas, look at the response I had to my post! I've seen much worse elsewhere...

As for the joint project, who knows?

Retroman,

Thanks for the pointers. A cross-compiler is nice, but you can't run the code on the PC. You still need AmigaOS 4 running on something to debug and test. Plus, you don't seem to have access to the OS' libs, only basic shell I/O.
As for the board, let's hope I can get one soon. I don't speak german (only english, french and portuguese), but I have been to the amiga-news.de forum with the help of Babelfish. I found only a couple of uA1s already sold this year (and a few people asking for someone to sell an AmigaONE!).

Old 02 May 2006, 17:56   #29
Flink

Hi again!

I've just seen on http://www.pianetaamiga.it/ , an Amiga show in September, in Italy, that there is a possibility that there will be a new board/system to run AmigaOS 4 by then.

Maybe this is why uA1s are in so short/inexistant supply? Any news on this?

Thanks!

Old 10 May 2006, 23:15   #30
Murakami
Zone Friend

New AmigaOne XE will be available soon... Check this FLComputer annnouncement :
http://www.amigaimpact.org/modules/n...p?storyid=1267
http://www.flcomputer.com/
Old 27 May 2006, 19:36   #31
z00mba

http://www.flcomputer.com/ does not responde
Old 28 May 2006, 01:42   #32
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murakami
New AmigaOne XE will be available soon... Check this FLComputer annnouncement :
http://www.amigaimpact.org/modules/n...p?storyid=1267
http://www.flcomputer.com/
nobody produce aOne, u can buy troikaNG or ACK upgrade when becomes available for sale

FOR now (at least forever for me ) the only possibility to buy a newgeneration AMIGA is to buy a PEGASOS2
Old 28 May 2006, 16:33   #33
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Where are those new A1's??
Old 28 May 2006, 20:27   #34
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW
Where are those new A1's??
Old 19 June 2006, 17:34   #35
Outcast

New Hardware for Os4 ?

It would appear that Ego's ( internal squabbling) have delayed the development by a (lol) few months

There is a link to PPNUX site that describes the new hardware on the link below. But even I (Red AnkleGrabber) take it with a salt cellar of salt (not a pinch).

http://3cag.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58
Old 20 June 2006, 03:21   #36
spoUP

cross compilers for most systems are available at http://www.zerohero.se and yes for mac os x aswell. not on the site yet but they will be very soon.
i could zone them if someone needs them.
Old 20 June 2006, 16:35   #37
Ultron
Something

There are no AmigaOnes for sell, and there will be no boards from "Troika" or "ACK".

That project is dead and won't go anywhere.

Eyetech is not and will not produce anymore AmigaONE's and has given up, Troika never presented any proof it can even produce it and failed all schedules, and ACK looks like a complete hoax, it has only presented lies, missed schedules, and even complete and absolute failiure to produce even photographic evidence. At this point it's boderline comedy material.

There are zealots out there who'll straight out lie to you and tell you AmigaONEs are around the corner. They aren't, it's a lie, and it has been a lie for quite sometime now.

Why do they lie, then? Only a very small, in the dozens, or hundreds tops, users are left who believe in the AmigaONE and use one. It's a very small minority that clearly has no problem lying or being in serious psychological denial about the state of the AmigaONE project, which at this point you can consider dead.

And perhaps some people are just too proud to admit they were gullible dumbasses that got used and abused, again, and shoved hundreds of dollars in ovepriced hardware that is now totally outdated and useless.
Old 20 June 2006, 16:38   #38
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom
This is NOT true. AmigaONE machines ARE available. Look at the eyetech site for a list of dealers where to order them. OS4 is still in development but I think A1 get's shipped with a beta/developer version... not 100% sure on that though.
This statement is complety and absolutely false. Eyetech has dropped production of AmigaONE's a year ago and has completely given up on AmigaONE and abandon it.
Old 20 June 2006, 17:06   #39
Outcast

@ Ultron

A more correct way to describe it is that AmigaOne MoBo's have all sold out and future prodution is in a state of Limbo for the foreseeable future.

Os4 IS still in development though.

No matter what way you look at the lack of hardware ..

It Suxx

( I even agree with Seehund, but don't tell him. I have a ( Red Anklegrabber) reputation to uphold !!)

;-)
Old 20 June 2006, 17:19   #40
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
There are no AmigaOnes for sell, and there will be no boards from "Troika" or "ACK".

That project is dead and won't go anywhere.

Eyetech is not and will not produce anymore AmigaONE's and has given up, Troika never presented any proof it can even produce it and failed all schedules, and ACK looks like a complete hoax, it has only presented lies, missed schedules, and even complete and absolute failiure to produce even photographic evidence. At this point it's boderline comedy material.

There are zealots out there who'll straight out lie to you and tell you AmigaONEs are around the corner. They aren't, it's a lie, and it has been a lie for quite sometime now.

Why do they lie, then? Only a very small, in the dozens, or hundreds tops, users are left who believe in the AmigaONE and use one. It's a very small minority that clearly has no problem lying or being in serious psychological denial about the state of the AmigaONE project, which at this point you can consider dead.

And perhaps some people are just too proud to admit they were gullible dumbasses that got used and abused, again, and shoved hundreds of dollars in ovepriced hardware that is now totally outdated and useless.
I totally agree
AdSense AdSense