English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 November 2001, 06:12   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Stupid IE

I would just like to know if anyone can tell me why IE is too stupid to recognize the difference between a jpeg and a bmp file. This is an issue i have had with IE since day one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1296263185

the image on this page is a jpeg and the .jpg extension is on the filename. But when you try to save the picture, you get a bitmap with the name untitled. How can IE not know the name of the file or the filetype? You can see at the bottom of the window where it says it's downloading the image, it's url and the actual filename.

I just think IE is the most incompetent piece of shit on the browser market and I hate having to use it at work.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 November 2001, 06:16   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

And another thing. Whenever I save files or pics from web sites to my dir on the system here, if I quit IE and come back to the program later, it doesn't remember the last dir I saved in. Netscape does this automatically (for uploading, downloading, etc.) IE seems to have a different registry entry for downloading, save picture, and uploading. But it always reverts back to Desktop. Brilliant!
Old 16 November 2001, 06:41   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I remember my buddy saying M$ had its act together because the employees work on their own pace, wear flip flops and can arrive anytime they wish at work. The opposite of Steve Job's "extreme task -master hands" on technique that has argueably lead to the greatest OS yet. And was responsible for Next Step.
I looked at him increduolously, and as he started up my then new comp (A year ago), it crashed inexplicably. Did not get the new comp for a week after. I rest my case.
Old 16 November 2001, 11:22   #4
MethodGit

Exclamation @Twist

I have the exact same "untitled.bmp" problem here, Twistboy!
Old 16 November 2001, 15:06   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

No, I don't think so. Every image from that guy's auctions produced the exact same results. If IE can acknowledge that it is a jpeg to display it, it should acknowledge it as a jpeg to save it. These images are completely downloaded.
Old 16 November 2001, 16:10   #6
birdy-scc
Banned

The Reverend Twist

Twist, you're beginning to sound like one of those guys with a sandwich-board, proclaiming "The world is doomed - Netscape Saves!!" on street corners.

That problem with the BMPs happens to me once every couple of months, but is *so uncommon* that I haven't bothered to find out why.
Old 16 November 2001, 16:42   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Gimme a break. I compare to Netscape because it's the browser I use. I'm not campaigning for Netscape. I'm not mentioning any features of Netscape (I hardly consider saving a picture to be a feature!) You could substitute the word Netscape with Opera and the message would not change meaning.

The problem occurance depends on how often you save pictures from the web.
Old 16 November 2001, 20:48   #8
MethodGit

I kinda have mixed problems with the bug. Before, if I left an IE window with a loaded web page for too long, the app would screw-up its own picture cache (at least I think that's what it did) and regard all (yes, *all*) pictures on the site as a bitmap called "untitled".

Now it doesn't do that anymore and thankfully still regards the pictures as what they truly are. But I have still encountered the bug occasionally, although it only seems to be with certain ad animations of some pages (Some of these ads can be saved as they are, while some of them will insist on being copied to your hard disk as "untitled.bmp").

Although there's one question to ask, Twist: which version of IE are you using? Hope the bug still isn't there in v6.
Old 16 November 2001, 21:06   #9
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I am using v6.1 and same problem marz.
Old 17 November 2001, 01:33   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The version I was using was 5.5, but it has been in IE since day one because I have tried every version of this inferior piece of work that everyone adores so much.

You would think that after caching everything FOUR times on your hard drive, the program could make sense of it all, but consider the source.
Old 17 November 2001, 01:39   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I'm not one of he everyones, Twist
But it is much better on my Apple iBook. It is light years ahead of the PeeCee version.
Old 17 November 2001, 11:28   #12
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Eek IE Problems

Well I have NEVER encountred this Problem (untill I went to the link) LOL and what causes it ?? Well I don't have a clue I can tell you but that it Does it on EVERY version of IE inc IE 5.5/6.0/IE for XP.

I maybe thought that it was the Picture format and that it wasn't a true JPG file.

Well, Thats all I can say ..... Does it do it in Other Browsers Such as Netscape or Opera ?

CPC464
Old 17 November 2001, 12:15   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Nope. Works perfectly in Netscape. Again, you have to download pics from the net fairly often. It occurs maybe 10% of the time, but even that is ridiculous considering how long the bug has existed.
AdSense AdSense