English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 April 2006, 13:46   #61
DamienD
Global Moderator

@Macca

... that's no good my friend. I'm obviously at work currently so can't really help you at the moment

Later on tonight when I get home I'll try to help / come up with a solution
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 April 2006, 14:00   #62
Macca
Zone Friend

Cool mate.

I've looked into the blooming horrid documentation and theres a variable called:

%gbgamedir%

The only file it mentions in the documentation to modify is the gemus.dat unfortunately it isn't refrenced in there.

Damn why can't they make it easy - lol
Old 27 April 2006, 14:03   #63
DamienD
Global Moderator

Cool... That's nice that they create / give you a variable %gbgamedir%

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll work out a way to get everything running as desired.
Old 27 April 2006, 15:07   #64
Macca
Zone Friend

Yeah it's just finding where the blooming thing is setup.

If I can just change %gbgamedir% to = %temp% then that sorts a whole load of problems out and means I don't have to edit the emulators configs.

If I can't work it out then it means it'll only be playable off a hard-drive and not the DVD so not really much to worry about - well.. lol
Old 27 April 2006, 15:16   #65
DamienD
Global Moderator

Well if it's not working from the DVD as Gamebase is unable to modify the .ini / .cfg files, then storing these in %temp% or some other location on the C: drive should get around this
Old 27 April 2006, 15:28   #66
dirkies
Zone Friend

let us know when the final version comes out, gamebase patched or not, not a worry for me. I can pay or swap with some of my personal Amiga compils on DVD.
Old 27 April 2006, 18:08   #67
Macca
Zone Friend

Hi Mate

The service is going to be free (on a condition if someone else wants a copy then you don't charge for it).

There will be something released this weekend - it may be that it has to be copied to your hard-drive (approximately 2GB space) and the magazines run from the DVD - this may be the best option at the moment unless Damien comes up with something.

By the way Damien - if I change the CFG files and point them to %temp% the emulator overwrites them if I make the CFG file read-only then Gamebase errors.
Old 27 April 2006, 18:19   #68
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca
There will be something released this weekend - it may be that it has to be copied to your hard-drive (approximately 2GB space) and the magazines run from the DVD - this may be the best option at the moment unless Damien comes up with something.

By the way Damien - if I change the CFG files and point them to %temp% the emulator overwrites them if I make the CFG file read-only then Gamebase errors.
So you don't want the .cfg files to ever be changed?

This is just a quick thought, probably not great but...

With your desktop shortcuts, I believe that you now do the same as what I do i.e. call a batch file? You could have it also copy across the "standard" .cfg files everytime it's launched...

A pain I know but this will get around this issue and insure that the settings are always kept as you've configured them. Of course the downside is that the user can / will think they've made changes to the config but of course they get overwritten every time GB is launched...

Let me think about it some more

Last edited by DamienD; 27 April 2006 at 18:34.
Old 27 April 2006, 18:31   #69
dirkies
Zone Friend

my colleagues here at work, old C64 users too, are already drooling over this DVD!
if it is avail for download, let me know, or if not, you can up it to our ftp site too (PM for details in that case)
Old 27 April 2006, 19:41   #70
Macca
Zone Friend

Hi Dirkies

The DVD will be released hopefully on Sunday (if I can get this problem fixed). I will then upload it for you - on my connection it may take a day though to do it.

@Damien
The CFG files are changed by Gamebase - this means they are changed all the time - I can't let this happen if it's being played off a DVD (for obvious reasons). And if Gamebase can not change the files then it errors.
Old 27 April 2006, 20:08   #71
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca
@Damien
The CFG files are changed by Gamebase - this means they are changed all the time - I can't let this happen if it's being played off a DVD (for obvious reasons). And if Gamebase can not change the files then it errors.
Yes, understood that.

There is a way around this, bit complex. It involves what I mentioned above but we can make it so that:

... If you are running it from the HDD the .cfg files do not get copied over.
... If you are running it from the DVD then the "default" .cfg files do get copied across.

I'll try to think of a better way and will speak to you when I get home @ 7:30pm
Old 27 April 2006, 21:26   #72
Macca
Zone Friend

Good luck on that mate.

It's a nightmare as you can't choose where it gets the CFG files from either.

*Sigh*
Old 27 April 2006, 21:30   #73
DamienD
Global Moderator

Jumping on messenger
Old 28 April 2006, 11:34   #74
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Hey plasmatron,

Check out my thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22669

It doesn't have the full set of SNES TOSEC files though. It does however have 1219 hand picked ROMS (no duplicates and tried to always use verified 100% working ROMS).

Saying this, you can add in ROMS to it if you like

Thanxx for letting me know.
Old 30 April 2006, 01:02   #75
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

Mate i would just about give my left nut to get a nice c64 comp disk When i bought my Amiga i gave away all my c64 floppies What a silly thing to do...
Old 30 April 2006, 22:00   #76
Macca
Zone Friend

Simply PM me your address and I'll add you to the list.

I'm just doing the routines to get the Gamebase part copied across then mounting the drive on the Z: drive letter.

It should all be finished verrrry soon!
Old 01 May 2006, 16:55   #77
Bloodwych

I'm getting so excited!

The closer this gets to completion the more I want it bad!

The extras you've crammed onto the DVD are simply mouth watering. I'm pm'ing you now!

PS - love the bloodwych teaser!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 01 May 2006 at 17:07.
Old 01 May 2006, 22:00   #78
Macca
Zone Friend

Another update...

Sadly due to the way Gamebase works there is no other way to get it working other than having a manual installation of it.

The best I can do is provide documentation on getting it all up and running - the client side installation is around 15MB so shouldn't be too problematic even on the most basic of systems. Everything else can then be run from the DVD.

I really am sorry about this and if there was another way around it then I would use it - the Gamebase forums are sadly very lacking when it comes to support as well.

Anyway this means now that all I'm waiting on is a frontend from Sarek2K and then job done.

As soon as the frontend is done it's going out in the post. I'll post the PDF here later of what you have to do and if anyone has any problems with this then please let me know.
Old 02 May 2006, 00:14   #79
MrX_Cuci

Hello why don't you use offlinelist. Great programm...just try it out: http://offlinelist.free.fr
No-Intro DATS for the programm can be found here: http://nointro.free.fr/ (also goodset dats and tosec dats can be found here)
Old 02 May 2006, 12:06   #80
Macca
Zone Friend

Hi Mate

I've just had a look at offlineset and the dat's however it doesn't seem to support the majority of the C64 games.

The way the project is moving now it's going to be very easy to install everything and to get everything running from the DVD again will be quite easy just not as easy as originally planned - the guide will be complete later today and I'll post it here to see if you guys can understand it.
AdSense AdSense