English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 April 2006, 23:47   #41
Macca
Zone Friend

@Damien

Definately going to need some help theres another ini file I've found which has absolute references to files rather than the \directory\ path - changed it as well and then get script errors.

Arrgh - lol
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 April 2006, 23:59   #42
DamienD
Global Moderator

Hey Macca,

Hmmm, does the .ini file related to the Front End or one of the emulators?

I need to get to grips with the Front End and all Emulators that you are using etc...

Can you please post links to all programs that are involved with your DVD?
Old 22 April 2006, 10:42   #43
Macca
Zone Friend

Hi Mate

The frontend 'checks' what emulators are available (with this one it's around 20) it then creates an emulator.ini file theres also a paths.ini file as well it maybe that I have to change everything before it will work which I'm looking at now.

It's a pain in the bottom at the moment - lol
Old 22 April 2006, 10:47   #44
Macca
Zone Friend

And nope it doesn't if I change everything it can't find the ROM's etc.

The only way around this would be to run the detect utility which I'm seeing if I can do from the command line.
Old 22 April 2006, 20:13   #45
Macca
Zone Friend

Sorted!!!

Just need to change all the unpacking and emulator settings then I'm done the copy routines about 60% finished.

It can now run off DVD / Hard-Drive.

Hopefully finish late tomorrow! Damn you ini files!
Old 22 April 2006, 20:23   #46
Macca
Zone Friend

Okay I told a slight lie there - the paths for the screenshots are working and extras but nothing more (thats what you get for not properly testing) anyway may have found a reason why but still looking into it as previous post - damn you ini files!
Old 22 April 2006, 20:31   #47
leroq

Or don't use drive letters use system default paths like %windir%. Old win3.1 method but so are .ini files.
Old 22 April 2006, 22:54   #48
Macca
Zone Friend

I wish it was that easy.

Unforutnately to run it off a DVD there is no variable I can use (a variable such as %currentdrive% would be excellent but unfortunately doesn't exist).

Basically Gamebase uses absolute paths:
i.e. z:\c64\gamebase\games

I want it to use:
.\gamebase\games (as the emulator is run from there it uses gamebase as it's home dir)

However gamebase doesn't like this.

I'm sure theres a way around it though and as soon as I find it the DVD is complete.
Old 22 April 2006, 23:28   #49
DamienD
Global Moderator

Stupid question but have you tried it without the . ?

I would usualluy use this too but with my SNES DVD the Front End + Emulators didn't like it
Old 22 April 2006, 23:31   #50
Macca
Zone Friend

Tried it without the . tried it without the \ tried it in "quotes" arrrrgghhhhhhh...
Old 22 April 2006, 23:32   #51
Macca
Zone Friend

The most annoying thing is that the damn screenshots and extras work - why do they work and not the rest - lol
Old 23 April 2006, 19:29   #52
Macca
Zone Friend

Just another update - sadly due to the ini file problem the completion has been moved back slightly - hopefully Damiens going to try and help me later with the ini's and if this doesn't work it's manually editing them.

This means that it will more than likely have to be installed to a local drive and that I will only be supporting (initially) a couple of drives (probably drives C / D / E and Z).

There is one alternative and that's using SUBST to force everyone to play off X: (or some other high letter) which I may try after DD has had a look
Old 26 April 2006, 23:15   #53
Macca
Zone Friend

Hi All

Sorry there hasn't been an update in a while.

Anyway to cut a long story short I now have the beginnings of my setup program (thanks to DamienD).

Basically I've left my job so this week I've got a couple of interviews to go to. Come the weekend I'll definately get it finished.

Sorry for those who've been waiting for this I'll post a few teaser pictures to keep you interested..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spellbound.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	10915   Click image for larger version

Name:	bloodwych.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	10916  
Old 27 April 2006, 01:55   #54
StarEye
Zone Friend

It's weird, but after the terrific SNES dvd I'm looking forward to this like a little child waiting for candy. SNES I have no relationship to, while I grew up with C64 and Amiga.

I can't wait for this!
Old 27 April 2006, 05:25   #55
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Hmmm thats a first i've done the graphics for this autorun already and i can't believe i havent posted em here like i did in the snes dvd section perhaps this is a good thing with recent events.

And @Macca if you think i'll be going to the lengths i went to on DamienD's snes dvd your very much mistaken Infact i doubt i'll ever work on a front end with him again and he knows it he said numerous times "you'll probably hate me for this but....." in the end tho we got the job done and he's gone home happy

@DamienD next time don't send the pictures to your photoshop friend it will save a whole load of hassle

Hope you guys are having as much fun sorting out the probs DD had on the snes dvd infact i think it will be worse glad to see it's not just the graphics guy getting a hard time
Old 27 April 2006, 09:35   #56
Macca
Zone Friend

@Sarek

Well mate - I'm very easy. As long as it has a few buttons on there that do stuff I'm easily pleased.

I'm just having to go through all the config files for the emulators (the primary ones are WinVICE (which is excellent in my opinion) and CCS (which is a lot harder to use and the sound is poorer - but it's there anyway) there are also around 20 other emulators on there so you can imagine the time it's taking.

I'm hoping to have the initial configs done by the end of today and then the install file by the end of tomorrow - unfortunately I'm away on Saturday but back Sunday night for completion - and hopefully a nice autorun - lol
Old 27 April 2006, 12:44   #57
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
It's weird, but after the terrific SNES dvd I'm looking forward to this like a little child waiting for candy. SNES I have no relationship to, while I grew up with C64 and Amiga.

I can't wait for this!

SNES DVD !????? Where ! Where !!???
The full SNES TOSEC set on one DVD ?????
Old 27 April 2006, 13:37   #58
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
And @Macca if you think i'll be going to the lengths i went to on DamienD's snes dvd your very much mistaken Infact i doubt i'll ever work on a front end with him again and he knows it he said numerous times "you'll probably hate me for this but....." in the end tho we got the job done and he's gone home happy

@DamienD next time don't send the pictures to your photoshop friend it will save a whole load of hassle
Yes, you did an excellent job my friend and I'm very grateful

I think it was a bit of a pain for you to make those changes as it wasn't set out in layers. Obviously I thought it was and didn't realise that it was that big a deal

Guess I just wanted it to be perfect considering I spend 1.5 months making the DVD perfect. Can't blame me really...
Old 27 April 2006, 13:40   #59
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatron
SNES DVD !????? Where ! Where !!???
The full SNES TOSEC set on one DVD ?????
Hey plasmatron,

Check out my thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22669

It doesn't have the full set of SNES TOSEC files though. It does however have 1219 hand picked ROMS (no duplicates and tried to always use verified 100% working ROMS).

Saying this, you can add in ROMS to it if you like
Old 27 April 2006, 13:41   #60
Macca
Zone Friend

@Damien

Just ran into another problem with this bloody GameBase - it basically changes the ini files - so I've made the emulators cfg files read only and then it errors.

Damn thing - I've posted on there forums to see if theres a fix / workaround for this - sadly I reckon this may be another delay.
AdSense AdSense