English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 April 2006, 22:15   #1
Macca
Zone Friend

Question C64 Compilation

Hi All

After being inspired by DamienD's DVD I thought it was about time I got around to compiling all my C64 stuff.

It's not going to be complete for about a week yet but I wondered if anyone was interested in this?

It's going to include Gamebase64 v3, every Zzap 64 / Commodore Format + Megatapes ever made (all in PDF format with .tap files for the megatapes and D64's, etc) plus a few more CD's (Kerr Avon, etc.)

It will fit at least one DVD.

Anyway if you're interested please let me know otherwise I won't bother putting it on a .torrent or posting it, etc. also best means of distrubuting it (i.e. how would you like to get it).

Thanks for reading.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 April 2006, 22:39   #2
Bloodwych

I'm absolutely interested!

Everything what I said in DamienD's thread holds true here. I pretty much showed the same enthusiasm and offered the same comments about producing compact DVDs for all the popular EMU formats as yourself.

What I’m taking about is NOT complete HUGE TOSEC collections (although with the C64 it may all go on one DVD) with loads of games/alts that no one plays. These have a place in archives and historical preservation and I take my hat off to those dedicated to collecting and making safe all these sets. When it comes to actual practical use however, I’m no ROM whore - all I want is compact playable collections with great front ends and artwork. In other words hand picked projects by experienced people with a love of retrogaming and I'm willing to help as much as possible!

Damiens DVD is a great start. Syncro has a fantastic Amiga DVD project that looks really cool, especially if you've got an xbox. Bippy, as always, has produced some great DVDs and is giving a load to the community by helping out in various projects, being a mod, developing Amiga frontends/launch utils - all stuff that would work well in a DVD project.

I think having hand-picked/full DVD release projects is brilliant and as long as everyone is willing to help out then we can each work and contribute on particular format at a time.

SOOOO…..

Next this C64 DVD…..then Megadrive, then.......perhaps dare we say it………even an Atari ST DVD???? We have a great bunch of people here and I'm willing to spend time hand picking out games/front ends etc if need be.

Come on Macca, let's go for it! Next DVD, C64!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 18 April 2006 at 22:57.
Old 18 April 2006, 23:19   #3
Macca
Zone Friend

After this one it's Atari ST (and I was afraid to say it here) I have a crazy collection of Games, Demos, etc. and as you can write ST floppies on a PC drive it makes them even more viable.

C64 DVD has been started tonight and hopefully looking for a weekend release, having scanned through the ROM's there doesn't seem to be too many alts (thankfully) and the fact that you can play the SID's via the GUI, view screenshots and run the games in whatever emulator looks very promising.

Only issue I can see is the paths but that's something I'm working on tonight.

Thanks for the feedback Bloodwych - I'll make sure the C64 version of you is included!
Old 18 April 2006, 23:40   #4
Macca
Zone Friend

Ack actually told a lie - it's Spectrum next. Atari ST has to wait (basically I'm recompiling all the old CD's I have and updating emulators and the such like and then if there's enough call for them releasing them to everyone else).
Old 19 April 2006, 00:11   #5
Macca
Zone Friend

Right then a quick update before bed.

I've gone through Gamebase and setup nearly every emulator known to a C64 fan - checked for missing files and there are none (woohoo).

Just got to add the magazines tomorrow and we'll see how much space we have.

It'll probably take a couple of days to do the magazines and then somehow figure the best way to open them (it may be that I just have a link to open the folder - yet to decide on that as there are 107 issues and the later ones contain megatapes - hence they are all in folders).

Well in conclussion I've got more done than I thought - lol
Old 19 April 2006, 00:50   #6
Bloodwych

Sounds impressive already. Can't wait for a few screenshots.
Old 19 April 2006, 09:08   #7
Macca
Zone Friend

And pictures you shall have...

The below are pictures of Gamebase main menu and the legendry Zzap issue 1 front page (which won't upload so I'll fix when I get home)

Nothing special yet just in case you've never seen Gamebase.

All coming along nicely now - I'm sure I've got to hit a problem soon - lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MainMenu.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	10831  

Last edited by Macca; 19 April 2006 at 09:14.
Old 19 April 2006, 11:34   #8
StarEye
Zone Friend

I'll have sex with you if you send me a copy or I'll have sex with you if you don't. Your choice. Now I definately need to get a Competition Pro USB.
Old 19 April 2006, 11:57   #9
Macca
Zone Friend

Hi mate

Copies will be available from roughly this Saturday onwards (if I don't hit any problems and theres only two I have to overcome).

As with other projects if you PM me your addy I'll get some burnt and posted out.

Unfortunately it will be probably Tuesday before they arrive (again if all goes well and I'll keep this post up to date with progress).
Old 19 April 2006, 11:59   #10
Macca
Zone Friend

P.S. theres 17450 games with this so it should keep everyone busy and I don't think theres any duplicates either
Old 19 April 2006, 12:05   #11
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
I'll have sex with you if you send me a copy or I'll have sex with you if you don't. Your choice. Now I definately need to get a Competition Pro USB.

er .. can anybody else send you nothing and get sex in return?

Fred the Duck are you listening buddy .. free sex0r !!
Old 19 April 2006, 12:07   #12
Macca
Zone Friend

I live in a different country so hopefully I'm safe... I hope....
Old 19 April 2006, 21:51   #13
Bloodwych

You guys are mad. Well, I'm not willing to offer my physical body but my avatar and digital representation Bloodwych gladly accepts your kind offer of being included on the DVD.

I've never played the C64 version!

That pic looks sweeeeet.
Old 19 April 2006, 22:21   #14
StarEye
Zone Friend

Ghost'n'Goblins on the C64 was the version I grew up with.

And I see Ghostbusters on the list. Can't wait to try that again. Don't know why but I played that for hours, though I had no idea what to do.
Old 19 April 2006, 22:43   #15
Macca
Zone Friend

Just a couple more pictures and one specifically for Bloodwych..

Sorry for the resize of Zzap Issue 1 front cover - it does look a lot better than this in the PDF.

Now to convert the rest...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZzapP1.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	10834   Click image for larger version

Name:	BWych.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	10835  
Old 19 April 2006, 23:58   #16
Macca
Zone Friend

A quick update before snoozing...

50 Issues of Zzap 64 (with renamed Megatapes, inlays, etc.) have now been PDF'd.

Only another 57 to go after that I need to play around with the reg file for file saving and running from various drive letters then the only thing thats left is the autorun.

Sooo what does this all mean? It means the weekend release is realistic - lol

Take care y'all.
Old 20 April 2006, 00:18   #17
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
as mentioned in the DamienD's snes Dvd thread i'll mock up a front end menu for it
Old 20 April 2006, 01:49   #18
DamienD
Global Moderator

Skate or Die, Wonderboy, and Ghosts 'n Goblins all bring back fond memories for me
Old 20 April 2006, 09:15   #19
Macca
Zone Friend

Aye they are all there with the SID's and quite a few Extra tap's are in there (basically the full tape which you can run in CCS 64 and it does the proper load sequence with loading screen / music / etc.)

Also included are around 20 emulators - lol - so you can choose which one to use (defaults to CCS).

Write back to the PDF making..
Old 20 April 2006, 10:11   #20
gizmomelb

any hope of international fans getting a copy of the dvd please? though I realise throwing up a torrent may be the best bet for distribution.
AdSense AdSense