English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 April 2006, 06:00   #21
Ultron
Something

Problem with all the people that pirated then, and don't today:

All the Amiga game producers are already bankrupt and the Amiga is dead.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 April 2006, 06:53   #22
Slayer
Amiga Member

ya probably don't have any right to state the obvious there Ultron...

leave that to old elitests like myself... heh...

I certainly did my bit to support the console... hell, I'm probably the only one left in the southern part of earth that still only uses an Amiga...

one of around 35 systems :P
Old 14 April 2006, 09:46   #23
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dangerous
We used "White Lightning" and later "X-Copy" to do this.
I haven't thought of White Lightning for a long time! Thanks for reminding me of that.

Quote:
I wouldn't steal from my friend Paul now, so why was it 'okay' to do so then?
It's probably just guilt from knowing that you took some revenue from someone you know. On the flip side, Paul probably would give you a copy since you are friends.

The last game that I bought was Might & Magic VI SE with all the prequels. I enjoyed them when I was younger, so I decided to get the box set and support the "artists". MM6 itself was disappointing. Also, New World Computing was bought out by 3DO, so the money most likely did not go to the original designers. In the end, did I really help out the situation? I gave money to a corporation, voted that I liked the new game with the purchase where the company will consider making another crappy sequel. If I had tried the game out beforehand, I won't not have bothered buying it. Also, the repacking of the older games wasn't not great. Since then, I haven't bought any modern PC games nor have I really played them.

Another scenario... Dreamcast was slashed to $50. It was announced that they would stop production of the console. So if you knew that your purchase would not go to the employee who was going be fired, would you still buy the games?
Old 17 April 2006, 01:16   #24
SilentBob

I did pirate software on the Amiga, yes. Mostly because my folks were stingy and I never had much of an allowance scheme. But that's a bad excuse, I know. So if the main cause of the downfall of the Amiga was piracy, of course I regret what I did. But when you're broke all the time and the games were at your friends next door, it was hard to resist. * Silentbob goes and stabs himself in the head for his stupidity *

Today I try to buy as many games (the ones I like mind you) as possible though. Too little too late maybe, but still.
Old 17 April 2006, 01:50   #25
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Like many on here, I pirated Amiga games without hesitation.
Recently I pulled my collection of 400 discs out of the loft. When I went through them I amazed myself that I had played so few through to completion.

I had very little feeling of attachment to any of them except the originals, all of which I remember saving for and buying with my Father.

With hindsight the fervent collecting and hoarding of hundreds of pirated games didnt allow me to enjoy the games at all. If anything it devalued the work that went into them.

Had I bought all of those games, would I have given each one more time? Would I have enjoyed them and appreciated them for the programmers skills? - Almost certainly

Did the Amiga suffer due to piracy? I dont think so. Amigas were sold because people had or could get software to use on them. Software was pirated on all platforms. Those platforms evolved into new consoles and PCs. The companies behind them, unlike Commodore, had strong forward looking leaders and clear development programmes. Sadly Commodore grew fat on the Amiga 500, they foolishly neglected their only fruit until it was too late for the compromised A1200 to rescue them...

Just my tuppence worth...
Old 17 April 2006, 02:21   #26
Ray Norrish

Send a message via ICQ to Ray Norrish
I only started buying games when that money was "disposable". Guess i didn't have any disposable income back in the 80's cos I was too busy trying to make a living... I think there's an argument that it's still parents that pay for the games?
Old 17 April 2006, 02:22   #27
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
I'm trying to play this SKR cracked pool of radiance at the moment. Not only they cracked the codewheel question, but they've also trained it, the game adds some money and jewelry into your inventory every a few turns. And guess what, the money+jewelery become too heavy in time, you have to drop them or suffer encumbrance penalty. Not to mention that having all that money kills all the joy that can be taken from the game. That's why now I'm hunting ebay for an original copy. (I always adored the art on the manuals anyway)
Old 17 April 2006, 16:23   #28
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

My dodgy copy of Monkey Island i brought had a photocopied remake of the codewheel
Old 18 April 2006, 13:21   #29
Strings
Settling in

Was fairly young when I got my first Amiga. But I do remember buying quite a few games. But I think the mischief belongs chiefly to my Dad... because copied games just started appearing and appearing until it made up about 80% of all my games.
Old 18 April 2006, 15:49   #30
BippyM
Global Moderator

I think pretty much everyone had pirated games for whatever reasons.. and it looks like most ppl had the same reasons back then

Little cash and it was too easy to get hold of!
Old 19 April 2006, 19:40   #31
bird
tRSi-iNNOVATiONs

IIRC i only bought ambermoon and beneath a steel sky for my amiga, buying all those empty disks for the weekly copysession was costly enough.
I dont feel bad about it as i didnt have the money, so from my point of view there was no real loss for the Game Studios. Play the crack or dont play at all. No profit for them either way.
Today i buy the Stuff i consider worth paying for, thank god there still are cracks to check things out.
Old 19 April 2006, 19:50   #32
NOB
Zone Friend

Good point!Piracy makes a computer great!
Old 19 April 2006, 19:52   #33
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Think the main problem was the jump in price from 8bit machines. Software companies were under the illusion that because 16bit machines were more expensive, then people must be able to afford to pay more for the games.

Most prestige 8 bit titles were £14.99 or less, Amiga traditionally was £25.99.

Once software companies had written their game engines, not a lot was needed to tweak them into becoming different games.

Piracy was always going to happen no matter what the price, but £25 for a game was a lot of money for me. And I bought what I liked to play, but how fucked off would you feel to buy a game, and then complete it the day after you got it?
Old 19 April 2006, 22:13   #34
astuermer

Send a message via ICQ to astuermer Send a message via MSN to astuermer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
It's quite ironic how 15 yrs ago nobody could afford 20-25 for a game (Because of pocket money).. Now my kids have a DS and PSP and GBA and they have loads of original games which they paid for themselves (and they currently only get 3 p/w each but can earn more cash by helping out around the house)....
I think the reason is/was the price of the gambling hardware...
If I think back to 1986, when my dad came home with his (later my) Amiga 500... he paid around 11.000 ATS for it (approx. 799 Euros). My current extended A3000 costs more then 800 Euros.

People (kids) couldn't afford such expensive games as long as they have spent all their saved money for a 512KB machine as the A500

You say your kids have GBA and co... here in Austria you can get the GBmicro (I think it's GBA compatible) for 99 Euros (during Xmas for 89 Euros). So the basic hardware for using games is much cheaper nowadays.

Answering the questions: yes, I got around 250 copies during the 90's and very few originals: Mr. Nutz, Syndicate, Quik and some others. Now - 6 years non using the disks, they're all full of read/write errors *gg* and I had to buy my favourites at eBay for a few (and sometimes many) bucks/Euros.

Best regards, Andi
Old 20 April 2006, 10:22   #35
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
Like many on here, I pirated Amiga games without hesitation.
Recently I pulled my collection of 400 discs out of the loft. When I went through them I amazed myself that I had played so few through to completion.

I had very little feeling of attachment to any of them except the originals, all of which I remember saving for and buying with my Father.

With hindsight the fervent collecting and hoarding of hundreds of pirated games didnt allow me to enjoy the games at all. If anything it devalued the work that went into them.
Agreed... The ones I cherish are the originals. TBH a lot of piracy could be used to test games. If it was good I usually bought it... (Dungeon Master) but if shite I chucked it. Recently tried a PC game called Ubersoldier... glad I didnt even burn the image to a disk... it was totally boring. Even the wife was laughing at how scripted it was. Now if I had paid 30 for it on the basis of reviews I would have felt totally cheated.
Old 20 April 2006, 11:29   #36
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
When I was a kid, I had a continuous supply of warez from my scene buddies, so I didn't really bother buying anything. Also I couldn't afford any, since I had pocket money of 10FIM a week, when games cost 350FIM..

I mainly played around with the Amiga, not the games.

When I got older, naturally my pocket money grew and I also got summer jobs etc, but at that time I was so much more interested in the inner workings of the machine (and BBS's and around 1993 the Internet) that I didn't really want to play too many games.

When I hear the statement "Piracy killed the Amiga" I just roll my eyes and shrug my shoulders. Piracy made the C-64 and it also made the Amiga. The Amiga died in 1994 when C= went bankrupt.. Nothing to do with piracy. Naturally after that the profit margins for everyone who stuck with the platform went down, so the community started to ban piracy so that there would still be sw for the machines in the future.. So this whole topic is really something that came much after the Amiga was already 1.8288 meters under.

Nowadays I try to buy as much of the productivity SW I use as I can, I mainly play old games on Amigas and C-64s and on my PS2.

The PS2 isn't modded, but it has a hdloader.. I have bought almost every game that is installed on the HD, except for a couple of us/jap only releases (katamari damacy .. ;-).

When I had a modded PSX in the 90s, I once noticed that the machine was covered in dust and beside it was a huge plastic bag full of burned CDs. Then I realised that if I intend to have a console and actually play games on it, I must buy the games.

Buying the games I play means I only buy good ones, and I also have more motivation to play them if I had to spend a fortune on them.. 60e for a new PS2 game is daylight robbery, but that's why I only have a handful. :-)

Gaming on the PC? Nah. I have a 1GHz Transmeta pocket computer (www.oqo.com) as my main PC.. That doesn't do games (Minesweeper?-). Thus I'm stuck with my Nokia phone (yes, I buy mobile games!), PS2 and old CBM hardware to keep me entertained. :-)

Last edited by Jope; 20 April 2006 at 11:35.
Old 20 April 2006, 14:52   #37
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope
Gaming on the PC? Nah. I have a 1GHz Transmeta pocket computer (www.oqo.com) as my main PC.. That doesn't do games (Minesweeper?-). Thus I'm stuck with my Nokia phone (yes, I buy mobile games!), PS2 and old CBM hardware to keep me entertained. :-)
That is ONE beautiful PC...... I'm sold on it... its VERY nice
Old 20 April 2006, 15:15   #38
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jope
Will it run WinUAE?
Old 20 April 2006, 19:24   #39
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
It will, WB runs ok-ish but demos and games are too much for the little Transmeta chip. :-)
Old 20 April 2006, 20:41   #40
astuermer

Send a message via ICQ to astuermer Send a message via MSN to astuermer
/offtopic/

Thought of buying an OQO too, but I never thought it's a real - looks like a fake for me *grin*
AdSense AdSense