amiga remakes

nice list
see ports of call in there great memorys of that game
im surprised that mdk isnt amiga remake as its been remade a few times
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 January 2010, 19:01   #22
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Thanks. That would be more of a demake on the Amiga platform wouldn't it seeing as it came quite a while after the Miggy's heyday? Maybe I read your post wrong.
Old 27 January 2010, 23:47   #23
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Just tested a DS homebrew remake of Deflektor obviously named Deflektor DS.

Truly an Amiga remake because (from the readme):
"Graphics were drawn based on the Amiga version, gremlin sprites are from Lufia II "

Two methods of control: one fully based on stylus (selecting and rotating) which is a bit too much sensitive to my liking) and one using the stylus to select and the pad (perhaps buttons to rotate).

There is also a remake of Archon, Archon DS (link from a news site with working download link). It was apparently abandoned and the author's site seems to be dead/down.

The version I linked to seems to be the last one released. It is playable but not really complete (for instance, there is an early IA for combat phases but not for the "board" phase).
I am not sure it deserves to be on the list but I'll let you decide and think it is still worth mentioning it here (let's dream that the author/somebody reads here and decides to resume the project ).

And yes, MDK?
Old 28 January 2010, 03:51   #24
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Is it me, or does this look something like Alien Breed ?

http://www.rocksolidarcade.com/games/robokill2/
Old 29 January 2010, 19:07   #25
Jonathan Drain
YARDS NEED MORE BYTANIUM

I went to suggest a Scorched Tanks remake, but found it was already there along with like nine others. Nice work!

Who are all the Amiga characters in the photo? I recognise one of the Super Methane Brothers, Superfrog, a blocker Lemming, Putty, Zool, the guy from Gobliins, and James Pond - who are the others?
Old 29 January 2010, 20:47   #26
lilalurl
T32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Drain View Post
Who are all the Amiga characters in the photo? I recognise one of the Super Methane Brothers, Superfrog, a blocker Lemming, Putty, Zool, the guy from Gobliins, and James Pond - who are the others?
Hehe, I did not think about playing It's guess ... with this one.
I'll add:
- Main character from Rodland (pink-haired female, elf I think?)
- Kiwi from New Zealand story
Old 29 January 2010, 23:34   #27
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Great stuff, more entries for the database, thanks. The way I see it, if someone out there gets a kick out of a half finished remake then it's worthy of inclusion. I don't feel entitled to play quality controller anyway seeing as I couldn't programme my way out of a paper bag if my life depended on it.

Looks like you've covered all the characters between you. You've gotta love that pic. I've wanted to blow it up and have it framed for ages, but never got round to it.
Old 08 February 2010, 15:30   #28
lilalurl
T32

- Puzzobomb:
More or less a remake of Puzznic.
Actually, from what the author (Jayenkai) says it is rather a remake of Puzznix, which, in turn, is a clone of Puzznic.
Anyway, I tried a few levels, it works well. It is rather focused on the puzzle solving part (no timer) from what I have tested.

The author is rather prolific (tries to create one game a week) so it might be worth it to check the site for his other creations (I think I have covered up all his DS releases).
This Windows game also looks strongly inspired by Puzznic too.
Although probably not a remake, this game bears some cosmetic resemblance to Alien Breed.

I will perhaps have a detailed look at the Windows releases list, sooner or more likely later.
But unless I get a compatible phone, I will probably not look at the J2ME (Mobile) releases.

Off-topic as it is not a remake (I think) but I highly recommend one of his other DS releases, JNKPlat DS 08

- Finally, there was this post here a few days ago about a port of Another World on mobile phones.
I will let you investigate this.

Edit: I should have checked your list, you had already StoneAgeDS listed. Anyway, you should update the entry:
- you credited the uploader/news reporter, rather than the author who is maRk2512
- there is a more recent version: http://filetrip.net/f8361-Stone-Age-...09-102509.html

Edit2: I have not tested it yet (just found about it), but there is a DS homebrew remake of Lode Runner (author: C_boy) that does not seem to be in your list. It seems to work fine from the forum posts I have read.
And he has made a "sequel" based on a hacked version of the original Lode Runner (not sure if the hacked version was released on Amiga).

Last edited by lilalurl; 08 February 2010 at 16:13.
Old 09 February 2010, 12:25   #29
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Cheers for that. All entries added/updated. I only wish I had the time to try out all these games so I could get more involved in the discussion.
Old 26 July 2011, 18:55   #30
lilalurl
T32

All DS:

- Another World DS
http://www.portabledev.com/pages/ds/...otherworld.php

According to the docs, it uses the New RAW interpreter:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/newraw/

So there is a chance that there are other ports or will be soon. Not sure how long it has been out, "last update" mentioned is 2011-06-06.

- Flashback DS
http://www.portabledev.com/pages/ds/.../flashback.php
based on the the Reminescence engine:
http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/

There is already a DS port of Reminescence (already in your list) but Reminescence has been updated since.

So this port seems to have more features (according to the docs), like the possibility to use the speech files from the Mega CD version.
There are perhaps also less issues (or perhaps more ) issues than the previous port of the engine (DS-side coding).

- I see you have already listed ant512 Super Fool Egg remake.
What about adding Earth Shaker DS?
https://bitbucket.org/ant512/earthshakerds

While it is a ZX Spectrum port, given it is a BoulderDash-ish game, I guess it would be a good addition to the list.
Listing it as a Rockford/Emerald Mine remake would not make much sense though, but perhaps there are some PD games that have a closer gameplay?
Old 26 July 2011, 20:34   #31
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
What about adding Earth Shaker DS?
https://bitbucket.org/ant512/earthshakerds
Not really relevant to the list. I notice that my old IK+ Flash remake is attributed to "Simian" - any chance that could be updated to match Really Bad Eggs?
Old 27 July 2011, 21:13   #32
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Thanks muchusly for your contributions. I've added the two DS games to the database. I believe the author has spoken re: Earth Shaker so I'm not going to argue.

Sorry for the goof-up ant512. I've fixed that now.
Old 28 July 2011, 00:24   #33
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Thanks muchusly for your contributions. I've added the two DS games to the database. I believe the author has spoken re: Earth Shaker so I'm not going to argue.

Sorry for the goof-up ant512. I've fixed that now.
Thanks!
Old 02 August 2011, 22:50   #34
lilalurl
T32

3 Puzznic "enhanced" clones for Windows, by the same author (Filippos, mentioned either in the readme or in the in-game About box) available at:
http://fisoft.bravehost.com/

Winbox
Christmas Puzznic
Christmas Puzznic 2

YT video for CP2 (that's how I have learnt about it):
[ Show youtube player ]

Compared to Puzznic, they keep the basic gameplay idea but add various elements affecting the blocks such as teleporters or anti-grav units.

Via the config. files or in-game settings you can replace/change the music used in-game (in case you get tired of Jingle Bells ).
You can also create custom levels and I believe you can then share them by sharing your custom.dat file.
Old 03 August 2011, 22:37   #35
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Brilliant, more for the collection, thanks. Never played Puzznic myself, but no doubt it had its devotees. I've added all three.
Old 04 September 2011, 22:56   #36
lilalurl
T32

Impossible Mission (well, since it is included in IM 2025 you can consider it is an Amiga game ) has been remade/enhanced for DS, PSP and Wii apparently (I can confirm DS and PSP versions):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_Mission

Pirates! has been remade for a lot of platforms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Mei...es!_%282004%29
(check the "platforms" box)

Starting with the Windows enhanced remake and then ports of it (I suppose). I can confirm the PSP port. Not sure if the XboX360 version is a simple port of the Xbox version or a full new port.
Old 05 September 2011, 21:00   #37
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Nice work as always, thanks! I've added them to the DB.

I found a couple of really polished remakes/retro throw-backs you might want to look into:-

A beat 'em up which harks back to the Double Dragon/Final Fight era, and an erm... Ghost 'n' Goblins 'em up.

Asskickers wouldn't install on my Mac and the devs can't explain why, and Maldita Castilla wouldn't run in CrossOver Games so hopefully someone here can check them out and say if they're any good.
Old 06 September 2011, 00:09   #38
lilalurl
T32

I will definitely try Asskickers and report.

Never really been into Ghost and Goblins so I would probably not be a good judge of the quality. I might give a try though since the homepage indicates there are other influences than G&G.
Old 13 September 2011, 20:36   #39
lilalurl
T32

Funnily, I cannot get the Asskickers to work either (WinXP). It starts a Dos box and then does nothing, although using some CPU and memory. Waiting more than one minute does not help.

I suspect it is a video driver/DirectX issue as I have read on their site that they have already fixed related issues. Also, after I close the dos box Windows feel as sluggish as it does when you only have the generic windows video adapter drivers (just after installing Windows for instance).

Maldita Castilla is pretty enjoyable. It is less arcade-difficult / frantic than Ghost'n'Goblins. Among the influences the author mentions Shinobi. Besides some obvious things, such as an enemy who behaves quite like the enemies in Shinobi who have a shield and throw their boomerang sword at you, I think it is the closest in terms of gameplay.

One thing useful to know, the "power up" for weapon cycles through several different weapons. So if you don't want the offered weapon, you can wait a few seconds to see the next one offered.

Now for the list:
- TAGAP: The Apocalyptic Game About Penguins and TAGAP 2:
http://www.tagap.net/tagap1.htm
http://www.tagap.net/tagap2.htm

are some enjoyable 2D jump and gun.

The Wikipedia article states:
"While the same control scheme has been used in games like Walker and Abuse, TAGAP has a bigger emphasis on shooting than "platforming""

So you can see it as a sort of Turrican (T3 since you have limited exploring to do in the levels. At least in those I played) with controls like in Abuse/Walker.

The 2nd opus (I played mostly this one) features some interesting weaponry. For instance the plasmagun secondary fire creates a temporary barrier blocking enemy fire (and even some enemies). A bit like the one you get when doing a small charge shot in Another World.

- Would you consider a game like Pictris (not really classic Amiga stuff since it dates from 1999) as in the scope of the list?
http://hol.abime.net/4583

As I quite like logical puzzles, such as nonograms/picross which Pictris is, I can compile a pretty large list of games featuring the same kind of puzzles
Old 14 September 2011, 09:58   #40
frikilokooo

@ dreamkatcha

Maldita Castilla is one level demo,the game is very polished and not as difficult as Ghouls'n Ghosts,I think the full game will be before year's end...

Remind that the creator (Locomalito) is the same of the great Hydorah.

I will definitely try Asskickers too!

Last edited by frikilokooo; 14 September 2011 at 10:05.
AdSense AdSense