English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 April 2006, 03:56   #41
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
2d rules 3d games are a novelity but thats it get back to basics!
these days 90% of 3d games are shit and i am being generous!
yeah 90% of the 3D games are shit and 10% are crap but I do like Half life
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 April 2006, 01:03   #42
demoniac

I actually don't remember what the outside marketing names where. I saw 8 chipped cards for about 5 minutes once at this person's office. I never saw its performance and I believe it wasn't meant for production. I do remember talk that an older V2 card was overclocked something like 3 times the regular frequency which outperformed them.

Yeah, I agree I don't like 3d games as well.
Old 22 April 2006, 01:47   #43
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

You cant just brand all 3D games as crap, especially as the negative comments Ive seen on here more than a few times only seem to be directed at FPS games, Games like Command and Conquer Generals and Settlers V with an angled top down 3D view make excellent use of 3D, especially when zooming, I always hated in Settlers IV when you zoomed in and it just made everything pixely
Ok so I have played some 3D games that make my physically sick (try playing Incoming for a few hours) but for the most part, especially with games that were amongst the first 3D examples of their genre, the technology is used very effectively and achieves many things that would be impossible or emmensely difficult to achieve in 2D.
Its all a question of how effectively 3D is used within a game, and I do agree that in many games 3D has been chosen purely for novelty/show-off value.

As far as another monkey island goes I think pre-rendered 2D images (see donkey kong country) would be a really interesting way to go!
Old 22 April 2006, 01:53   #44
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Remember Lemmings 3D?? Bleeding trouble I had trying to play that game over the 2D versions..... But.... GTA: San Andreas on PS2 - What a game!!

Another one I've been looking at a remake for is Everyone's a Wally (spectrum/C64). Found an updated version, shame about the screen size though....

http://www.multiedge-net.co.uk/wally/

Anyone remember the single that came with the game on cassette?!
Old 22 April 2006, 02:05   #45
DamienD
Global Moderator

Very good points you've brought up there Mick AKA.

I especially like the idea of another Monkey Island in pre-rendered 2D images in Donkey Kong Country style

Loved all the 2D Monkey Island games, finished them all and would do it again. The 3D version came along i.e. Escape From Monkey Island and I believe I played it for half-an-hour maximum before loosing interest. Never touched it since

DKC, that game was so ground breaking IMHO. I remember when it first came out, I purchase this for my SNES and was absolutely blown away

In fact that's one of my main reasons for doing the SNES DVD
Old 22 April 2006, 11:55   #46
StarEye
Zone Friend

The only ground DKC really broke tough, was it's unbelievable technical achievement. Most games looked pretty bad compared to DKC. However, as a game it was pretty straight forward without too much substance.

It's been the way of RARE ever since. Style over substance. Well, most of the time.

On the 3D topic, I love 3D as much as I love 2D games. I can't imagine how games like Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell or even Pro Evolution Soccer would work in 2D. Also, I think consoles tend to have the amiga-spirit more than the PC does. Consoles are about simplicity in setup, deep compelling gameplay if you want that and simple gameplay if you want that. Consoles also have a wider range of genres. On the PC 80% of the games released are either FPS/strategy/(MMO)RPG, 15% racing/sports games and the last 5 percent are bad ports of console games - games that generally plays better on a big widescreen tv, surround sound and from a comfortable chair or couch.

Last edited by StarEye; 22 April 2006 at 12:03.
Old 22 April 2006, 14:32   #47
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
It's been the way of RARE ever since. Style over substance. Well, most of the time.
What do you expect, they are now owned by Microsoft who made them ditch most of the descent games they had in development and work on xbox 360 sequels to games that were shit in the first place!
Old 25 April 2006, 01:46   #48
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Another request to an addictive game... Juggernaut (Spectrum) - Picking up and delivering goods, parking the damn thing, watching your fuel and damage.... ahhh, playing the original speccy version right now online!

The only one I can think of that is ever-so-slightly like it the job-on-the-side lorry missions in GTA: San Andreas.

Anyone know of any others? or possible remake/update of this one?

Last edited by quahappy; 25 April 2006 at 16:56.
Old 16 May 2006, 17:00   #49
maxio

Giana sisters, Turrican, Superfrog, Project X

Old 16 May 2006, 18:27   #50
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Quote:
Originally posted by StarEye : On the 3D topic, I love 3D as much as I love 2D games. I can't imagine how games like Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell or even Pro Evolution Soccer would work in 2D.
Pro Ev ??? Sensible soccer, Kick off series nuff said!

@Mick Aka when i say FPS i don't mean Frames Per Second i mean First person shooter Yes i love the Command & Conquer games but i would call those isometric 3d infact i've just come off Cnc Zero hour with Reloaded mod great game I do look like the ODD 3d fps game like halo but thats only cause it was so different from the norm run of the mill boring shite they throw out! I am also playing and loving Oblivion.

Just installed Rise of Legends too i liked the last one but i am finding this new one very weird
Old 24 May 2006, 02:35   #51
Garth
Metal mutated Karnov

I'm not sure it was ever released on Amiga* but I would LOVE to see a remake of the 2D game Karnov.
Me and my brother used to play it on PC and it was such a difficult game that up till now I still haven't gotten any further than level 3. (And if I'm not mistaking it had 16 levels )

Screenshot
Information
Download

* Probably so, for in those days there were only a few decent normal "game computers", the Amiga and Atari to nam but two, besides the fenomenal (and priceless) Neo Geo.

*Edit* Damn 2 edits later and I still can't get the smiley for shock.... not , not :shock: not :s... I just don't know anymore

Last edited by Garth; 24 May 2006 at 02:43.
Old 24 May 2006, 04:45   #52
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
The Bards Tale IV!

advertized for Amiga 1992!

http://www.kultboy.com/testbericht-uebersicht/213/
http://www.thelegacy.de/Museum/3743/
Old 24 May 2006, 05:33   #53
fstarter

I would love to see a version of Magic Pockets and Stunt Car Racer converted to the Gameboy Advance.
Old 24 May 2006, 11:59   #54
Garth
Metal mutated Karnov

Magic pockets was perfect as it was, no upgrade necessary in my opinion.
Old 24 May 2006, 12:45   #55
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth
I'm not sure it was ever released on Amiga* but I would LOVE to see a remake of the 2D game Karnov.
Me and my brother used to play it on PC and it was such a difficult game that up till now I still haven't gotten any further than level 3. (And if I'm not mistaking it had 16 levels )
Cool old school game but as you've said it's quite difficult...

Not exactly a remake but you should check out the arcade version via MAME32 (see attached screenshots)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Karnov01.png
Views:	170
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	11133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Karnov02.png
Views:	167
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	11134  
Old 24 May 2006, 17:29   #56
Garth
Metal mutated Karnov

Another source for SOG (Studie Ontwijkend Gedrag), thanks you very much.
SOG loosely translates as Study Evasive Behaviour
Old 24 May 2006, 17:31   #57
DamienD
Global Moderator

ROFL
Old 24 May 2006, 21:15   #58
fstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth
Magic pockets was perfect as it was, no upgrade necessary in my opinion.
I din`t say it wasn`t perfect would just love to see a version ported to the GBA.
Tried the PC version graphics where ok but the sound was shite.
Old 25 May 2006, 13:50   #59
Garth
Metal mutated Karnov

Damn just tried the MAME version, and it's still way too hard.
Old 25 May 2006, 14:16   #60
DamienD
Global Moderator

He, he, he, this is the original Karnov...

Use cheats then:

... Pugsy's MAME cheats has just been updated to v0.106 (about time, the last one was for MAME v0.81 - 21 April 2004) http://cheat.retrogames.com/
... Extract this to the root of your MAME32 directory.
... Once the game has loaded, press <TAB> and then go down to the Cheats menu.
... Select your desired cheats.

PS. I hope that you are using MAME32 (Windows GUI) and not MAME (command line based). You can get the latest version of MAME32 from http://mame32qa.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

Although try to find v0.106 and not v0.106u1 (as MAME Devs are playing around with re-writing the video systems, bound to be issues)...

If you cannot find MAME32 v0.106 then let me know and I'll upload it to YouSendIt for you...

Last edited by DamienD; 25 May 2006 at 14:24.
AdSense AdSense