English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 October 2009, 16:05   #121
Dan Locke

Probably Magicway. It looks, sounds, and plays like an alpha release.

Last edited by Dan Locke; 05 November 2009 at 17:08.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 October 2009, 16:43   #122
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Vixen

why?
Well .. try it and see
Old 22 October 2009, 17:06   #123
zygzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
Last Ninja
The controls are
Which version? Last ninja 2 was one of my first game and I think that it was very good game, although sometimes control of main hero sucks.
But I can't agree that it is crappy game.

Last ninja 3 and ninja remix wasn't enough good to 2.
Old 22 October 2009, 17:11   #124
zygzak

Tom & Jerry. The control of mouse was horrible. It wasn't amusable at all. I dunno what for this game has been made.

If Rise of the robots was crap for You cause controls were bad I must add Final Fight (I know that someone has sentiment to it).
This game had great potential but conversion was horrible broken. Enemies moves like totally freaks, with unnaturally speed, very often they running from left to right and reverse without noticing the player what makes this game a little funny in bad way.
It looks like very preliminary alpha version or like some few hours of competition demo. It shouldn't ever be published in this state.

Last edited by zygzak; 22 October 2009 at 17:21.
Old 22 October 2009, 17:31   #125
tero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygzak View Post
Which version? Last ninja 2 was one of my first game and I think that it was very good game, although sometimes control of main hero sucks.
But I can't agree that it is crappy game.

Last ninja 3 and ninja remix wasn't enough good to 2.
i don't remember which version but it was the same i played on the c64.

Controls can ruin a game quickly,
Sometimes it seems i have to stay between 2 pixels to pick items up
I've played with a Sega 2button joy(thrown against the wall), a competion Pro was a better control - but not that good too
Old 22 October 2009, 18:02   #126
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Last Ninja 2 is indeed a crappy Amiga port, compared with the fine C64 original. Last Ninja Remix on the Amiga is actually Last Ninja 1, a pretty decent but way too late 16-bit port.
Old 24 October 2009, 18:20   #127
Benighted
Amiga = Metal!

Quote:
If Rise of the robots was crap for You cause controls were bad I must add Final Fight (I know that someone has sentiment to it).
Final Fight owns! Not a bad port at all. I've finished it hundreds of times, and will continue to do so! You gotta love the Haggar move where he turns the enemy victim upside down and piledrive them into the asfalt!
Old 25 October 2009, 13:18   #128
dekarAF
Retired Scener

Terrorpods .. I shiver just when I think of it ..
Old 25 October 2009, 16:27   #129
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekarAF View Post
Terrorpods .. I shiver just when I think of it ..
Was it a bad game?! I wouldn't really know as I didn't have a clue what was going on or how to play it. I think I was a bit young to understand what was going on with this game. Think when I get PC sorted I'll have another go at this. Captain Blood was another game that I couldn't get my head around at the time.
Old 25 October 2009, 16:42   #130
dekarAF
Retired Scener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeewolf View Post
Was it a bad game?! I wouldn't really know as I didn't have a clue what was going on or how to play it. I think I was a bit young to understand what was going on with this game. Think when I get PC sorted I'll have another go at this. Captain Blood was another game that I couldn't get my head around at the time.
Haha I had the exact same problem when I was a kid. I didn't understand squat what I was supposed to do. I think you're only supposed to protect all those bases/oil fields etc. from aliens. The controls are so terrible and so are the graphics.. not to forget the sound which is even worse..
Old 26 October 2009, 18:51   #131
Jonathan Drain
YARDS NEED MORE BYTANIUM

Cool Spot was pretty bad.

Crystal Crusade (PD game) had what I think was a bug, that a certain corridor was endless. I got stuck at that point and just went around shooting and raising people.

Jonas Fulstrand / Son of Blagger (PD game) is quite bad. Enjoy clipping on the corner of spiky blocks. You can download it from textfiles.com.

I'm sure there are worse, but I've blocked them from my memory.

Last edited by Jonathan Drain; 26 October 2009 at 19:04. Reason: added link to Jonas Fulstrand so you can torture yourself
Old 26 October 2009, 19:05   #132
cybernoid
Bold as Love

ZX-Spectrum 128k version of Chase HQ is a lot better. Faster, addicted, good music, everything.

I like a lot Yolanda because it's horrible. Probably was made to be horrible. And they sure did that. Congratulations. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

But for me, The worst of them all is Turbo OutRun.
Old 30 October 2009, 00:28   #133
papa_november

The port of Final Fight is completely unplayable due to the 1-button-only controls.

It MIGHT be playable if someone hacks it to use a 2-button controller, but nobody's holding their breath.
Old 30 October 2009, 19:31   #134
zygzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_november View Post
The port of Final Fight is completely unplayable due to the 1-button-only controls.

It MIGHT be playable if someone hacks it to use a 2-button controller, but nobody's holding their breath.
I really didn't know, till now, why Amiga was sticked with this shitty nonsense that joysticks can only have one button. I had QuickShot which had 4 modes and, probably, when MSX mode was choosen and joystick was connected to mouse port I had 2 independent buttons. I didn't recalled any game which can use this feature, only MK2. In Mortal 2, with one button I could punching and second was for kicking - only when QuickShot was in that special mode.

I think that Final Fight was destined for failure cause it was made for plain A500. Big sprites, so much frames and free will to massacre opponent in different ways. They cut frames like they could. Look how Cody on Amiga held knife - frame is from normal pose, and knife looks like some alien object. On arcade pose with knife is different.
This game is really crappy, shitty piece of code, but someone could like it (next bad syntax eh...).
Old 30 October 2009, 20:20   #135
dekarAF
Retired Scener

Quote:
I really didn't know, till now, why Amiga was sticked with this shitty nonsense that joysticks can only have one button. I had QuickShot which had 4 modes and, probably, when MSX mode was choosen and joystick was connected to mouse port I had 2 independent buttons. I didn't recalled any game which can use this feature, only MK2. In Mortal 2, with one button I could punching and second was for kicking - only when QuickShot was in that special mode.

I think that Final Fight was destined for failure cause it was made for plain A500. Big sprites, so much frames and free will to massacre opponent in different ways. They cut frames like they could. Look how Cody on Amiga held knife - frame is from normal pose, and knife looks like some alien object. On arcade pose with knife is different.
This game is really crappy, shitty piece of code, but someone could like it (next bad syntax eh...).
It's weird that Final Fight don't support this, as there are some A500 games that lets you choose 1 or 2 button joystick in the setup. One example is Leander, where you can choose 2 button joystick (one for fire and the other one for jumping).
Old 30 October 2009, 23:43   #136
Jonathan Drain
YARDS NEED MORE BYTANIUM

The coder for the Amiga port of Final Fight wrote about it on everything2:

Quote:
Well, seeing as you asked (carries on without waiting to see if anyone did ask, which they clearly didn't), I did the conversions of CapCom's Final Fight for the Commodore Amiga and Atari ST.

This being the bad old days of 1990, when times were hard and Japanese arcade game manufacturers were happy to take your license fee but wouldn't give you anything in return, I had to pull all the ROM chips off the board, read them all, and work out how all the background graphics and sprites were stored.
After a good bit of hacking and playing about I got the sprites displaying on my Amiga, and they looked great! ..And 100 pixels high each! ..And in 256 colours! ..And there were about 2000 animation frames! (ulp)

So, sadly I must say that despite my best programming efforts (and I put quite a lot of work into Amiga Final Fight), and plenty of fancy loading-baddies-while-you-played-and-decompressing-them-sharpish-before-they-came-onscreen-to-hit-you type stuff, all the beautiful sprite graphics got converted down to a shared pallette of 16 colours and about half the animation frames had to go. Doh. They were still huge, which was nice, but they were a bit washed out. Sorry.
Full article here.
Old 17 November 2009, 21:33   #137
Retro1234

Quote:

Old 17 November 2009, 22:01   #138
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Karting Grand Prix

and a video to prove it

Karting Grand Prix Video
Old 03 July 2012, 14:04   #139
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx View Post
longplay of Tube Warriors: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 July 2012, 15:58   #140
mombasajoe

Quote:
I don think so. I've reached the final stage after some tries.
AdSense AdSense