English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 March 2006, 14:08   #1
Francois

The Faery Tale Adventure vector format maps

Maybe here is another interesting map (besides the one made by Carcharias that is available on HOL) of The Faery Tale Adventure
(ZIP file containing 2 pdf files in English and 2 pdf files for the translation in French).

It features the hidden parts that are not visible using the bird totem, as well as the maps of all underground mazes (not visible using the bird totems, too).

The maps were hand-drawn on paper during the years 1986 to 1988 or so, and then ported to vector format in February 2004.

If for some reason you would like to have the files without the silly copyrights, you may try this ZIP link.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 March 2006, 15:37   #2
Carcharias

It's really a nice Document for Faery Tale Adventure !

I hope it will be soon accessible in the Faery Tale page of Hall of Light !

Great Work Francois
Old 11 March 2006, 18:27   #3
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Thanks for the link Francois - very nice detailed documents.

I was very impressed with your map, Carcharias. That's like the equivalent of something like 250 "bird totems".

If I had all this stuff when I completed the game back in 1990, it would have taken me 2 hours instead of 2 weeks!
Old 11 March 2006, 21:17   #4
Slayer
Amiga Member

I haven't viewed them yet but I'm willing to bet they are a great resource...

I too finished FTA many years ago... I could never find the 5th statue though...

perhaps the whdload version of FTA has fixed the bugs associated with the desert city etc?

might have to play it again one day
Old 11 March 2006, 23:21   #5
demoniac

The maps from both Carcharias and Francois will come in handy when in attempt to restart this game sometime this year. I stopped many years ago as I thought it was awkward to switch between the different input devices.
Old 12 March 2006, 04:16   #6
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
Thanks for the link Francois - very nice detailed documents.

I was very impressed with your map, Carcharias. That's like the equivalent of something like 250 "bird totems".

If I had all this stuff when I completed the game back in 1990, it would have taken me 2 hours instead of 2 weeks!
Cool!

I had the Genesis version and have yet to complete it
Old 12 March 2006, 07:05   #7
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

What? There's a Genesis version? I thought there were only Amiga and C64 versions. The C64 version is so pathetic, it's not worth playing.
Old 12 March 2006, 09:34   #8
Francois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer

I too finished FTA many years ago... I could never find the 5th statue though...
How could you finish FTA without the 5th statue?

IMO the most difficult part in the game was to figure out you had to find the hidden city of Azal (in the Burning Waste), which doesn't appear until you have all 5 statues (so you can find there the Rose which alows you to walk on the lava in front of the entrance of the Citadel of Doom).

The location of the city is shown on the vector format map (but doesn't appear using the Bird Totems iirc).

Old 12 March 2006, 10:00   #9
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
What? There's a Genesis version? I thought there were only Amiga and C64 versions. The C64 version is so pathetic, it's not worth playing.
There is a MS DOS version as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Faery Tale Adventure.gif
Views:	1956
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	10528  
Old 12 March 2006, 18:45   #10
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
I finished without the 5th statue too. I searched forever for that damn thing.

To get past the lava in front of the entrance of the Citadel of Doom, I just crept along the left ledge, then made a run for it. I think I died a few times before I made it. At that point I had lots of health.
Old 19 April 2006, 00:35   #11
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

It took me 12 hours to finish FTA back in 1990. My mom said, eat something!
I started 11:00 in the morning and reached the "Citadel Of Doom" about 23:00 in the evening.

My favourite game!

Rick
Old 19 April 2006, 07:47   #12
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois

IMO the most difficult part in the game was to figure out you had to find the hidden city of Azal (in the Burning Waste), which doesn't appear until you have all 5 statues (so you can find there the Rose which alows you to walk on the lava in front of the entrance of the Citadel of Doom).

The location of the city is shown on the vector format map (but doesn't appear using the Bird Totems iirc).
I'm not sure how I missed this but like mr_a500 also stated sometimes you don't need an item (even a supposed neccessary one) to accomplish a set task...

wasn't there some shard or something too... I don't think you actually needed that either...

like you could acually kill the witch without the sunstone...

anyway

I don't recall how I got past the lava as such but I did... I still have 3 saved games from it, C being the moment before I defeated the bad person

When I mentioned bugs in my initial post I also mean how the city would appear but I couldn't really interact with it properly...

ya know, I've just finished Oblivion for the 360 and I was thinking wouldn't it be cool to play faery tale adv in that style... keep it all the same, deeper stories perhaps, I'm sure it would be a winner all over again

Old 19 April 2006, 09:11   #13
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Nice link here for FTA2! and the news that the old company ( that went bust ) are up again! the remade and released one of their old games... hopefully
FTA2 might get fixed up or even better a follow up

Faery Tale Adv 2
Old 19 April 2006, 17:11   #14
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
wasn't there some shard or something too... I don't think you actually needed that either...
You do need the crystal shard to get past the barrier inside the Citadel of Doom - otherwise you can't go on. But you don't need the wand to kill the wizard. Surprisingly, you can kill him with the bow. I tried it a couple weeks ago.
Old 19 April 2006, 19:04   #15
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

I used the Swan in the citadel to pass the barrier.
Old 19 April 2006, 19:51   #16
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
I used the Swan in the citadel to pass the barrier.
How in the hell could you do that? You're saying you got the swan inside the Citadel of Doom? If you could land the swan inside buildings, you must have had a seriously screwed up copy of the game. (no wonder you finished the game in one day )

There's no way to even land the swan near the Citadel of Doom.
Old 20 April 2006, 01:09   #17
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

Quote:
How in the hell could you do that? You're saying you got the swan inside the Citadel of Doom? If you could land the swan inside buildings, you must have had a seriously screwed up copy of the game. (no wonder you finished the game in one day )

There's no way to even land the swan near the Citadel of Doom.
You're right!
But back in the late 80ies I had two versions of the FTA, both pirated. The one I played was the one where you can summon the swan by pressing the 'B' key. One mischief was, that you can't save the game.
Another point is, that before you 'tamed the golden beast', there weren't any cheats available.

The other copy was the 'Trainer'-Version, where you could jump from screen to screen with the cursor-keys.

Where do I get this 'Crystal Shard' ? Never heard about it...

Cheers,

Rick

EDIT: I did finish the game without cheating until reaching the 'Citadel Of Doom'. What was after, I can't remember.
I was stumbling through Mirkwood, visited Hemsath's Tombs...
Everything without cheating!

Last edited by Rick Dangerous; 20 April 2006 at 01:17.
Old 20 April 2006, 02:56   #18
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Where do I get this 'Crystal Shard' ? Never heard about it... I did finish the game without cheating until reaching the 'Citadel Of Doom'. What was after, I can't remember.
If you don't know what the Crystal Shard is then you didn't "finish the game without cheating until the 'Citadel Of Doom'". That's a major part of the game. Getting to the Citadel of Doom is easy (no cheating required). Getting to it with everything completed is hard.

To get the Crystal Shard, you need to meet the wraith (or whatever the guy's name is) at the crypt at midnight and give him the bones from the huge underground maze. Finding the bones is a major pain in the ass. The wraith gives you the shard to get past the barrier in the Citadel of Doom.
Old 20 April 2006, 06:11   #19
Francois

Note that there is a complete walkthrough in the files linked to my first post.

Old 20 April 2006, 12:52   #20
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

Quote:
To get the Crystal Shard, you need to meet the wraith (or whatever the guy's name is) at the crypt at midnight and give him the bones from the huge underground maze. Finding the bones is a major pain in the ass. The wraith gives you the shard to get past the barrier in the Citadel of Doom.
Ah! I remember it now. Thanks.
The wraith in the crypt at the graveyard!
I forgot that. Yeah, the bones are located in Hemsath's tombs.
All I remember is that I wasn't cheating. (believe me or not).
The thing with the bird was then in the trainer-version.
To solve the game I drawed a map using the trainer (that took me more than weeks) and trained every situation. In the trainer-version it was possible to jump from building to building.
I still have the game-disk and I wrote on it: 'solved: 20.Nov 1988, 12:30-23:30' (That is now almost 18 years ago...)
In the beginning, I spent a lot of time at the graveyard fighting ghosts to gain bravery points. And I remember to well my 2 hours in grimwood.
My strategy was to get hold of the swan as fast as possible so that I could
travel quickly and to get rid of the enemies.

Cheers,
Rick
AdSense AdSense