English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 March 2006, 21:21   #61
MethodGit

Hey Bips, just downloaed the Fairlight 10 Years CD, and it appears to not have Championship Manager 2 on? This is in comparison to the downloadable catalogue available here.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 March 2006, 21:37   #62
BippyM
Global Moderator

Hey mate I just supploed the image as I received it.. Speak to fairlight
Old 15 March 2006, 21:37   #63
MethodGit

Additionally, I wonder if any BBSes still run to this day? A lot of rare stuff probably only ever got uploaded to those things....
Old 16 March 2006, 02:11   #64
ant512

Up and down again today. It managed to run through the night and most of the day, but crashed some time between 8 and 10PM. I've ruled out the OS, so it must be hardware.

Ran a memory check; no problems. Could be overheating. Could be the motherboard (hope not); could be the CPU (not likely); could be the wireless card (strong possibility). Don't think it's the hard drive (too obscure), and it's not the graphics card or CD-ROM drive (the former has worked in a variety of computers for several years without problems; the latter is crap, but can't cause a crash).

Think I'll pull the side off tonight and see how it fares. If it crashes again I'll just have to start pulling cards until it stays up.
Old 16 March 2006, 03:56   #65
gizmomelb

Ant512 - is the wireless card set to power saving mode? ie: if it's non operational for a while it goes into power saving mode, then loses connection with the wireless access point and maybe doesn't wake up again.. just theorising.
Old 16 March 2006, 10:46   #66
AndreasM

Must we close the ftp server or why think someone to spread illegal copies from our software?
Old 16 March 2006, 12:06   #67
kas1e

I think amiga is not in situation in which we can said too much about illegal. I agree, that maybe bad to do warez of 'still in stock' software (like act&tcp, or how it called?), but i hope we all agree that here is no too much users who used 100% legal software (or maybe if here is someone, hi have tons of money ?). I agree also with this fact, that amiga almost do not have any software for which i (and i think most part of users) want pay. IF programm will be 'really' good. I will pay to author after i was used it and test it in full work mode.
Old 16 March 2006, 13:53   #68
GuruMeditation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas1e
I think amiga is not in situation in which we can said too much about illegal. I agree, that maybe bad to do warez of 'still in stock' software (like act&tcp, or how it called?), but i hope we all agree that here is no too much users who used 100% legal software (or maybe if here is someone, hi have tons of money ?). I agree also with this fact, that amiga almost do not have any software for which i (and i think most part of users) want pay. IF programm will be 'really' good. I will pay to author after i was used it and test it in full work mode.
I personally don't care much for the abandonware titles that exist on these FTPs. But when I see items that are still actively developed, with people throwing in their hard-earned cash.. sweat, blood and tears.. to get products out to the Amiga community - well, it saddens me.

I hold the rights to Directory Opus, a title which was bought for no small sum of money from GP Software some time ago. I would appreciate it if you guys took the time to clean up *atleast* the titles which belongs to software houses still around today. Most of you enjoy the Amiga, most of the producers of software does it cause they like the Amiga. These are not companies that can afford piracy, people..
Old 16 March 2006, 14:02   #69
kas1e

Well, as i said programms which _still_ in development must be do not warezes. But what about old (2-3 years ago) games, and software for which author do not have page or bugtruck or somethink ? Stay on 'legal' way what this programm will do not need ? Where is page of cgxv4 ? (for example) ? here is not. So, authors do not care about it, why i am personally must be care about product which authors get to trash and do not want to fix/update/etc ?
Old 16 March 2006, 14:12   #70
kas1e

sorry, about 2-3 year old games, of course here is no games since 2001-2002 already 4-5 years.
Old 16 March 2006, 14:21   #71
GuruMeditation

As I said, I personally don't care about the abandonware titles. If the owners of those titles would like to do something about it, fine. I don't have any abandonware titles, the few that I own are all very much actively developed.

What I was objecting to was seeing titles that are actually still for sale, still in development and the owners are just an email away. Or in this case, a forum away.
Old 16 March 2006, 15:04   #72
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Yes. I think that AT LEAST take away AmigaBASIC, as MicroSoft is (apparently) still developing it, though under the name of "VisualBasic" nowadays.

Hey..... when I think about it...... do you guys think MS got the idea for QuickBASIC and later VisualBasic from the CBM-request of AmigaBASIC? Wouldn't surprise me if they did
Old 16 March 2006, 15:48   #73
GuruMeditation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie
Yes. I think that AT LEAST take away AmigaBASIC, as MicroSoft is (apparently) still developing it, though under the name of "VisualBasic" nowadays.

Hey..... when I think about it...... do you guys think MS got the idea for QuickBASIC and later VisualBasic from the CBM-request of AmigaBASIC? Wouldn't surprise me if they did
What's the point of that comment? AmigaBASIC isn't developed these days. Directory Opus is, and so is the APC-TCP titles. Do you think that I make an unreasonable request here or something?
Old 16 March 2006, 16:18   #74
BippyM
Global Moderator

FTP closed....

I can't be arsed with the hastle..
Old 16 March 2006, 16:28   #75
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Guru, I'm sorry... I thought to be funny, not to offend anyone.

Though I agree, DOpus is still developed, though the Winversion is far ahead of the Amigaversion On the other hand, DOpus for Windows is a trillion times better than Explorer
Old 16 March 2006, 16:51   #76
kas1e

But why care about amiga version of dopus, if it already not developed, but only windows version is it ?
Old 16 March 2006, 17:03   #77
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
FTP closed....

I can't be arsed with the hastle..

Why does every opportunity to offer FTPs or compilations always end in a stupid "legal copyright" discussion? I've noticed too many threads like this of late.
Old 16 March 2006, 17:04   #78
BippyM
Global Moderator

Yeah and they all have the same member involved!!!
Old 16 March 2006, 17:09   #79
GuruMeditation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas1e
But why care about amiga version of dopus, if it already not developed, but only windows version is it ?
The Amiga version is developed and has been for some time now, see here for a reference press release. We are not very far from doing a new release of Magellan for Amiga.
Old 16 March 2006, 17:11   #80
GuruMeditation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Yeah and they all have the same member involved!!!
This is the very first time I've posted here (I think) and I only asked you to do the right thing, remove the titles still actively produced today. Since you appear to be a moderator, I would have hoped for a tiny bit of understanding from your side.
AdSense AdSense