English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 December 2005, 10:10   #1
Maverick

How to play ...

Flashback?Tried it recently and it seems like I'm missing something about it's controls. I picked up the Holocube but I'm unable to get up again. There're two platforms above each other with the upper one set a bit to the side. Hence, I would have to jump up, to the side and grab it, but I don't know how to do it.SWOS?Well, how to say it? I, err ... how to start a game (blushing)?I know there's probably no Ph.D required to do so but every time I do it the computer plays by itself. My desperate joystick wiggling seems to be ignored, both teams are apparently controlled by the computer.To be continued ...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 December 2005, 10:13   #2
Maverick

Why the f**k does it ignore my line feeds? Looks terrible. Is it because Javascript has been disabled?
Old 13 December 2005, 11:23   #3
DamienD
Global Moderator

Hello Maverick,

Hope this helps...

Flashback:
Finished this game quite a few times (15+ years ago and recently too). Shouldn't be anything too difficult, it's not really until after level 5 that sometimes it can be a bit hard to work things out. Here are some basic control instructons that should help you get through it (note that this was taken from the SNES version):

"There are four different jumps. You can easily jump straight up by pressing up on the control pad. If you hold up on the pad you can climb to a ledge above. You can leap two steps forward by holding the A button and pressing up on the control pad. This is useful for jumping between ledges, or over dangerous mines. To perform a long jump you must run a few steps, then hold up on the control pad. The final jump is the least obvious: if you have at least four steps of space to run, you can run forward and leap to a ledge above. Do this by holding the A button and tapping the control pad in the direction you wish to run, then let go of the control pad and keep holding the A button. Once you grab the ledge you can hang as long as you hold the A button, climb up by pressing up on the control pad, or let go of the ledge by letting go of the A button.

To use an Item you must select it in your inventory (accessed by pressing START), then hold the B button until the item is used. You’ll receive a force field in the second stage. Leave the force field activated in your inventory when not using other items so you can use it with little effort. When shooting enemies you can rapidly press both the A and B buttons to activate the force field while shooting. The force field only appears for a moment, so try to time it when bullets are headed your way. Even more important than the force field is your shield. You have it when you begin the game, and retain it throughout the game. You can receive up to four hits before the shield is worthless and the next bullet claims your life. The shield will not protect you from high falls. Once your shield hits zero and you’re hit, you die. Then you must restart at the last password or Save Pump. Therefore, it’s important not to get hit, but even more important to recharge your shield whenever possible. You can recharge your shield at the Energy Generators, which are found throughout every stage. Remember where the Energy Generators are, because you’ll want to return to them whenever your shield is low."

SWOS:
I believe you may need to have the joystick plugged in the other port. Could be wrong though, haven't played in ages. Can check when I get home tonight...

Last edited by DamienD; 13 December 2005 at 11:28.
Old 13 December 2005, 12:14   #4
Maverick

OK, thanks. Concerning flashback I now have to find out what the buttons A and B are in the Amiga case. Due to the mapping of certain keys to joystick signals in UAE it can be quite tricky to use a joystick and a keyboard simultaneously, so may be I should try this with my real Amiga first and not with UAE. In SWOS it has to be something else since the amiga can not detect a joystick which is just connected but unused.
Old 13 December 2005, 12:46   #5
DamienD
Global Moderator

Hey Maverick,

For Flashback I use my Xbox controllers and it works fine. Also tried playing with Keyboard and this is also cool. From memory the buttons should be like this:

<Numeric Keypad 0> Fire

or whatever you've set your keyboard layout type as in WinUAE...

<Space Bar> Pull out/Put way Gun
<Enter> Use/Insert

SWOS, for example if you have your mouse in Port 0 and your joystick in Port 1, try pressing your mouse button. If it works then you need to have joysticks in both ports... I'll test for you in WinUAE when I get home tonight.

Last edited by DamienD; 13 December 2005 at 12:53.
Old 13 December 2005, 14:20   #6
Maverick

Just to make it more complicated: I have the PC in an arcade cabinet attached to a JPAC like circuit translating the joystick movements to the PCs keyboard signals. Then UAE is converting these keys back to joystick signals. But even though I pressed almost every button, the problem might have been that I didn't have the mentioned 'at least four steps of space to run' when I tried it. However, many thanks for your help and I will try it again soon. Flashback looks like a decent game and it would be a pity to skip it just because of some starting problems. On the other hand it seems like patience is not my biggest strength (any more).
Old 13 December 2005, 14:46   #7
DamienD
Global Moderator

Damn, you have a PC in an arcade cabinet attached to a JPAC Any pictures you can post?

Nice, I would love one of these for MAME32

I have a HotRodSE that I plug into my PC which is cool but it's alway been my dream to purchase a real arcade cabinet... One day maybe.
Old 13 December 2005, 16:49   #8
Maverick

Of course MAME is also present in my cab. I'm using Linux since it is very flexible when it comes to monitor frequencies and so on. Hence I can run E-UAE on my arcade monitor even though UAE doesn't support any fancy 15KHz modes. Windows would probably require an Advance VGA card or a card with a special 15KHz driver to do this. I'll try to make some pics.
Old 14 December 2005, 10:01   #9
Maverick

Now I have some pics but I cannot post them. Apparently Javascript is required to do it and our Admins disabled it a week ago due to some strange virus warning. Since then I'm not even able to have linefeeds in my posts.
However there's a pic of my cabinet in our german arcade community:
http://www.arcadeinfo.de/showthread.php?t=3992
I made this pic some months ago when my PC adapter was not ready yet and I had my old A500 in my cab. In the meanwhile it has been replaced by a 1GHz Duron which runs MAME and UAE quite well. Even though I'm more into pinballs I have a lot of fun with my arcade cabinet and I can only recommend to get one. I got it more by accident, a friend of mine had two of them with faulty monitors and after I repaired one for him, he gave me the other one for free. But you can get a working one in eBay for less than 100 at least here in germany. The PC is also from eBay, I payed 70 including shipping and just added the drives. The machine really revived my interest in Amiga games which was dead for almost 12 years and MAME is of course great also.
Old 15 December 2005, 13:49   #10
DamienD
Global Moderator

Cool, thanks for the pics

How did you go with Flashback and SWOS? Sorry, but I haven't had the chance to load it up in WinUAE yet and see how to start it...
Old 16 December 2005, 09:54   #11
Maverick

Hi Damien,

SWOS is clear now. When you choose the teams you have to klick them twice to make them player controlled. Now I just have to find out how to play this game properly. Are there any special controls like in Kick Off (keeping the button pressed while approaching the ball to make a pass afterwards) or is it just pushing the ball with your player and kicking it by pressing the button?
Flashback is still a mistery to me. I managed to do all the jumps described in your post but none of them helped me to get up on this platform so I'm probably missing something elemental here. What are you doing after picking up the Holocube? Do I have to use it? If yes, how do I use it? I found out that my player turns 90 degree when I press ENTER, what is this good for?
At least our Admins reactivated Javascript so I can post the promised pictures.
The cabinet itself is british made by Monarch automatics in Birmingham. Doesn't seem to be a common one since nobody knows it over here.
The third picture shows the adapter which is self-made. When I wanted to buy a J-PAC they were unavailable and since I anyway preferred having an audio amplifier on board also, I started my own project. Of course J-PACs were available again right after I bought all necessary parts . However, it took some time but now it works quite well and I have the advantage to know what's going on inside. Thus I can easily adapt it to my needs or fix it when something doesn't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arcade.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	9941   Click image for larger version

Name:	ArcadePC.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	9942   Click image for larger version

Name:	ArcadeFPAC.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	9943  
Old 16 December 2005, 12:13   #12
DamienD
Global Moderator

Hey Maverick,

Cool, thanks for the posting the images and the information about your cabinet

Hmmm, SWOS. To tell you the truth I'm not really that much of a fan. Only played it a handful of times and also found the controls a bit rubbish (sorry to all you die hard SWOS fans out there). Somebody else is probably best helping you with this query...

Flashback, pressing Enter will use whatever is selected. The whole turning 90 degrees is happening because your Shields are selected. Later in the game you will find a Recharger, this is when you should have your Shields selected and then press Enter... After picking up the Holocube you use it and are shown the plot/background. I believe using it is done by:

Pressing F1, select the Holocube (use the arrow keys to move along), press F1 again. You will now notice that the symbol in the top right is now the Holocube. Press Enter to use it.

Attached is the full SNES level codes and walkthrough (which I believe is the same as the Amiga version). Really you shouldn't need to use this walkthrough much at all though, once you know how all the controls work the game is pretty easy to work out. I remember I only got "really" stuck on the 6th or 7th stage. Handy to have anyway though...

Good luck

Another really cool Delphine game is Another World. You should try this out...
Attached Files
File Type: txt Flashback_LevelCodes+Walkthrough.txt (42.8 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by DamienD; 16 December 2005 at 12:39.
Old 16 December 2005, 14:43   #13
Maverick

Quote:
Pressing F1, select the Holocube (use the arrow keys to move along), press F1 again. You will now notice that the symbol in the top right is now the Holocube. Press Enter to use it.
Hmm, thought I did it this way, but I'll try again soon.
Old 16 December 2005, 14:45   #14
DamienD
Global Moderator

Strange, get back to me if you are still having issues and I'll take a quick video from WinUAE for ya showing the way
Old 19 December 2005, 14:26   #15
Maverick

I tried it again and it works like you said. Don't know what went wrong the last time, may be one beer too much or so.
But I didn't get very far - the first two robots were enough for me. Before I even managed to get the pistol in my hands I was halfway dead. Seems like it takes some time to get used to the controls.
Old 19 December 2005, 14:40   #16
DamienD
Global Moderator

Cool stuff.

Yup, it does take a bit to get used to the controls. Are you playing it on Normal level? Try Easy level, there's no difference in stages, just a few less guys and easier to kill
Old 19 December 2005, 18:14   #17
snarkhunter

Playing "Flashback" was one of the most pleasant (though frustrating too at times) gaming experiences I ever had with my Amiga. My brother and I used to sort of "team up" in order to improve the overall performance : I would do the adventure parts, and he would tackle all the "MDK" stuff ! Without the fighting sequences, this game would not have been such a challenge, though : pretty "straightforward" - or almost ! One you get used to the weird "gimmicks" used, and also the many moves, it becomes much easier...
AdSense AdSense