English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 December 2005, 12:21   #21
Rob Farley

Hey guys, thanks for the support... In January I'll upload the the demo again for a short period so you can download it. I might even do a bit more work on it to try and get it in slightly better shape...

The biggest problem I've got at moment is DIY... My wife keeps asking me to put new lights up or shelves or whatever! "We" must decorate the kitchen... Hmmmm...

Anyhoo...

My AB remake uses 3D models for the characters and weapons and particle fx and the underlying tileset is a 2D layer... and there's a 2D layer over the top of all the 3D too... It got quite complex... The upside of course is that the animation is great because it's all rigged mesh animation so you can go from one pose to another in x milliseconds and the computer fills in all the gaps. It also means you have unlimited angles of rotation and all the lighting is right.

Cheers, Rob.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 December 2005, 19:22   #22
DamienD
Global Moderator

Hey Rob,

Glad to see you made it onto EAB. Welcome.

Thanks for the info on your AB remake and good luck with finding time to update.
Old 31 December 2005, 01:42   #23
Rob Farley

Right because I'm a caring sharing kinda guy I've uploaded Alien Breed again, available from the downloads section of my site.

You can complete the level very quickly if you do what you're supposed to do, however, there's loads of pointless map to explore. And the big beasties blow themselves up quite often, this will be fixed! I recomend switching infinate ammo on in the setup file getting the machine gun and killing everything with that, because it's really satisfying!

And Methanoid, it pisses me right off when people who have no idea who I am comment on my 'attitude' I'm doing this for FREE in MY time, I am the only person coding this game and spending MY weekends and evenings doing it. I've received more abusive emails slagging me off for not getting Alien Breed finished than people saying keep up the good work. It will be complete eventually, however, I have many many other things I have to do, for example, work to pay the mortgage, work to keep the car running, spend time with my wife, decorate the house... real life stuff... oh... I have a social life too... Sorry for having such a bad attitude.
Old 03 January 2006, 09:57   #24
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farley
And Methanoid, it pisses me right off when people who have no idea who I am comment on my 'attitude' I'm doing this for FREE in MY time, I am the only person coding this game and spending MY weekends and evenings doing it. I've received more abusive emails slagging me off for not getting Alien Breed finished than people saying keep up the good work. It will be complete eventually, however, I have many many other things I have to do, for example, work to pay the mortgage, work to keep the car running, spend time with my wife, decorate the house... real life stuff... oh... I have a social life too... Sorry for having such a bad attitude.
Perhaps you should READ what I said..."guy's attitude "dont mail me asking when" kinda says "sod off not interested"... "

This is the impression your website gave. If you don't like people assuming thats what you mean then change it but dont complain when people get the "wrong" message. It reflects just as much on your communication skills. Also I never said I was unhappy with it just that it says "sod off not interested" to me. I've never mailed a single person asking when a FREE title is gonna be released... perhaps you should check your email client??
Old 03 January 2006, 21:32   #25
Rob Farley

Please understand I've recieved abusive emails from people telling me I'm an arsehole slacker scumbag motherfucker, although frequently less elequant than that, so it's very difficult to have a positive outlook on the internet public.

In order to fix the problem I've removed all Alien Breed stuff from my site apart from the download... speaking of which... no-one actually seems interested in the demo anyway.

Last edited by Rob Farley; 03 January 2006 at 22:26.
Old 04 January 2006, 17:53   #26
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I did... it was pretty good and I checked back periodically for updates and stopped after seeing your post. Yes, pity that people have no patience for free stuff.....
Old 12 April 2006, 19:02   #27
gifgit
Retarded and dribbling

Just discovered this while playing MAME32.This game is called Steel Force and was made in 1994,so our beloved amiga even influenced coin op games.It`s just a shame that the bosses were so crap,(check out the red dude in image 2)

Last edited by gifgit; 12 July 2009 at 13:48.
Old 23 April 2006, 06:58   #28
Dalai

I pumped credits all through that the other day just to see what the next Alien Breed copied thing would be.
Old 28 April 2006, 12:02   #29
StarEye
Zone Friend

A bit off-topic here, but I always found Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for the PS2/Xbox a bit like a fantasy version of Alien Breed.
Old 19 June 2012, 13:35   #30
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

@Part of my subscription review,prune and revival process@

Alien Breed for iOS coming later this year BTW

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multi...ws.asp?c=42024
Old 19 June 2012, 13:46   #31
BrooksterMax

Not forgetting that since 2006, we can now get Team 17's remake of Alien Breed (Evolution) on Xbox Live Arcade and PSN - I think they did a disc version too.

Look forward to checking out the IOS version.
Old 19 June 2012, 15:21   #32
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The Team17 'remakes' (they're just different games with the same name) are also on Steam for the PC. Certainly entertaining for a while, but to me it is too repetitive for it to stay interesting till the end. You're always doing the exact same thing, only with progressively more powerful weapons against more powerful breed. A little more in-depth story would have made a whole lot of difference in this case IMO.
Old 19 June 2012, 22:09   #33
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

The Alien Breed reboot trilogy didn't really capture the essence of the originals, I thought. Too much emphasis on fetch quests and running from point A to B C then to A again, then D, then B... etc. There were also too many scripted events and not enough random encounters.

One of the things I loved most about the originals was the element of exploration and discovery. It really sucked that those things didn't make it into the reboot.
Old 19 June 2012, 23:04   #34
lesta_smsc

This is available on XBOX LIVE Arcade!!
Old 20 June 2012, 00:29   #35
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

This is a close remake.....Basicly its all new 15 levels !!

http://www.pixelprospector.com/alien...-obliteration/
Old 20 June 2012, 06:24   #36
musashi9

Send a message via ICQ to musashi9
I started a Flash Remake a couple of years ago but I got stuck on the Enemy AI( I couldn't figure it out ).
Here is a link for anyone who wants to see how far I got.
http://www.flashtro.com/abreed.html
Instructions:
First click on the flash screen, then
Option1
Arrow keys to move + space to fire
Option2
Numerical Keypad 'Arrow keys' + numerical keypad '0' to fire
Old 20 June 2012, 17:42   #37
anglojojo

You all know there was a remake done for the PSN they had 3 games done witch is quiet nice just gets abit repetitive.

Old 21 June 2012, 12:11   #38
Christian
Zone Friend

Cool. The IOS version looks amazing! Shame about no co-op though.
Old 18 July 2012, 02:28   #39
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi9 View Post
I started a Flash Remake a couple of years ago but I got stuck on the Enemy AI( I couldn't figure it out ).
Here is a link for anyone who wants to see how far I got.
http://www.flashtro.com/abreed.html
Instructions:
First click on the flash screen, then
Option1
Arrow keys to move + space to fire
Option2
Numerical Keypad 'Arrow keys' + numerical keypad '0' to fire
This actually runs pretty well. Shame you weren't able to complete this as it would be very popular for people who wish to play online without access to emulators/consoles! Maybe someone can help with enemy AI to get a fully working version
Old 02 August 2012, 12:35   #40
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
IOS version out!
http://itunes.apple.com/app/alien-br...530474983?mt=8
AdSense AdSense