English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 December 2005, 22:25   #1
SWOS

Why Do People Break Joysticks/Gamepads?

well to be honest , i've played on my old Amiga 500 a lot with my Zipstick, sometimes my friend used to get his Quickshot (i think it was the Phython 1)..so i tried both , i also connected the megadrive gamepad to my Amiga once , but i never broke or damaged any joysticks ! how do u break them????? do u bang them on the floor when u loose or what ? or do u twist the stick so hard that it snaps ?

please explaing how u broke ur joystick and what kind of joystick was it
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 December 2005, 22:31   #2
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
The only joystick that fell apart on me was the Quickjoy 4. One by one the micoroswitched fire buttons would break (springs snapped). Fortunalty all fire buttons did the same thing so was simply a case of replacing the springs from an unused button untill just the main triggor fire button was left
I then got a quickjoy mastersystem pad and thats been working fine as a two button pad to this day with just a crack across the front plastic as it didnt take well to some angry button bashing
Old 06 December 2005, 01:05   #3
Ebster

back in the days i sometimes used to byte in my joysticks when i was angry because of failing in a game... kind of weird i know
Old 06 December 2005, 01:17   #4
SWOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebster
back in the days i sometimes used to byte in my joysticks when i was angry because of failing in a game... kind of weird i know
my 6 yr old nephew does that on his xbox gamepad...

Old 06 December 2005, 02:34   #5
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I was going for a record in Arkanoid when the mouse kept sticking, so I whipped it across the room and smashed it.

My Slik Stik joystick snapped while playing Speedball 2 (no smashing, whipping or biting).
Old 06 December 2005, 03:10   #6
gizmomelb

I went through 3 TAC-2 joysticks in a month when I first started playing Paradroid on my C64.. the steel shafts snapped on each one.
Old 06 December 2005, 07:43   #7
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt
The only joystick that fell apart on me was the Quickjoy 4. One by one the micoroswitched fire buttons would break (springs snapped).
Same here. I broke 3 of those Quickjoy-III (i loved that kind of joystick) through the years playing, and always one of the little springs broke. Also fixed the joysticks with unbroken springs from old ones like you did.
Old 06 December 2005, 09:30   #8
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

'Waggle' games sounded the death knell for many a hardy joystick. My brother alone killed enough of them to keep an army of Chinese slave labourers in work for a decade. I should have sued the developers of Wrestlemania at the time... either that or clubbed my brother to death with a dead joystick.
Old 06 December 2005, 09:53   #9
StarEye
Zone Friend

The "waggle" games isn't to blame, I believe a good amount of people handle the joysticks with less-than-delicate force. Haven't you seen how many games almost rip their controller apart when they try to turn the car left/right in racing games for instance? Me, I just don't get it. It's a mechanical item, it should be handled with care, don't use full force to turn left or right, up or down. Don't slam the firebutton as if you're trying to beat it up. Press the buttons normally, like you'd push a on/off switch on the pc. You don't hit a button, you press it (when it says "hit the firebutton to exit" it's just a figure of speech, you're not supposed to hit it )

And when you pull the joystick in either direction... it doesn't go any further than what it's built for. You're not supposed to push or pull it beyond the limit.
Old 06 December 2005, 10:01   #10
manicx

My Joystick is unbrakeable. If you try to break it you will damage your hand and if you throw it on the floor, it will break the floor. It's a weapon of mass destruction. Besides, even when I had a crappy Quick Shot II, I was a calm player and I still have it 18 years after I first bought it, fully functional.
Old 06 December 2005, 15:44   #11
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Me, I just don't get it. It's a mechanical item, it should be handled with care, don't use full force to turn left or right, up or down.
It doesn't matter how careful you are, eventually all mechanical items break. The amount of time it takes to break depends on use and quality of construction.

I didn't snap the joystick in half by bending it like a moron, it broke at its weakest point (cheapo plastic pillar) after 12 years of use.

(the mouse is another story...damn Arkanoid!)
Old 06 December 2005, 16:49   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

StarEye, i have to ask the question..

Did you have a competative younger or older brother / sister?

If the answer is no, then i fear i may have a theory as to why you have not managed to break a joystick. truth be said in my house if you haddent broken a gaming device of some sort then your still a gaming virgin *as you would still have your cherry so to speak LOL*

okay, there isnt anything sacred in the gaming device world (with exteption to the atari joystick. nothing stoped that thing)

Truth is though cheap gaming devices had a life expectancy of 5-10 minutes while branded tended to last the better of a month, (the quickshot2 turbo lasted nearly 3. Since there was both myself and my younger brother both beating games and each other (more often than not with fists and ends of joysticks) these poor gaming devices didnt stand a chance.. school holidays were worst.. atleast another new joystick per month. well we did have both a spectrum and a CBM64

so how do i list this hmmm okay... broken by computer and game.

Retro Spectrum:

(Oldskool Beginings)

Daily tompsons decathalon. (otherwise known asscreaming joystick death)
Monty Mole (jump jump ju-clink...and there was no more jumping)
Manic minor (jump wiggle.. jump wiggle... jump.. wigg.. eh? feck dead damn penguin.... hmm no wiggle...)

C64:

(since most of these are left/right up/down fire based game the lil-joy got a good allround beating.)

Track and Field Winter Games (in all directions it would die)
SUmmer Games (The firebutton... oh how it was abused.....)
Autum Games (strange this game Always killed the down axis)
Winter Olimpiad (otherwise known as the graveyard of joysticks)

Amiga:

(heres where its at folks!)

Sensi-Soccer (watch my bannana goal ! click... clink* and no bannanas)
Double Dragon (the meanies deserverd the face smahing after breaking X number of fire buttons)
Mortal Kombat (a way of determining whom was right amongst us and whom had the better constructed gamedevice too!)
StreetFighter (the dirty way to kill a joystick, first togo. firebutton second togo was the joy-device through the window!)

I could sooooooooooo go on..... however.. if we side step a moment. If a game has our attention or focus so intent upon it, that makes us forget the failings of an interface (and or even the knowledge of using one) untill it breaks... one can say two things..

(a) that game was awsome to play *since it had taken you out of reality*
(b) the interface to the game was that good you had forgotten that you was using it.

I dont know to behonest if i consider gamedevices a consumable product (like printer food), i know i have gone through many many Keyboards only them bomb-proof dell keyboards last the distance.

Perhaps it does show the user in a light were they forget all abandon and totaly emerse themselfs in the game, you know like ya noob gran or cousin that moves left and right in the seat as the vehicle on the screen moves.. there are still some games that do that for me, and thank god they do as it takes me back to my childhood... such days..

Long time Joystick Hall of fame

Atari 2600 Joystick *i still have two of these.. and they work*
Quickshot Mk2 Turbo (indeed microswitched to hell and back)
The Zipstick (although good still went through 6 of these)
Sega Gamepad (there were more comftable but none lasted as long)
Sony playstation controller (indeed a revolution in gaming technology!)

Hall of Joystic Shame

Any 2.99 Kempston Joystick
The Bug (amiga: nasty colours and bad design)
Cheapo Sony PSX controllers (d-pad was poor and broke and tore in the finger)
Nintendo Game pad.. (ugly uncomfy and awkward!)
Master system pad ( please see above)

anyway i feel this post is huge enough....

Last edited by Zetr0; 06 December 2005 at 16:56.
Old 06 December 2005, 19:46   #13
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx
My Joystick is unbrakeable. If you try to break it you will damage your hand and if you throw it on the floor, it will break the floor. It's a weapon of mass destruction. Besides, even when I had a crappy Quick Shot II, I was a calm player and I still have it 18 years after I first bought it, fully functional.
I must have broken at least 3 Quick Shot's II within a couple of years, they looked kinda cool, but sucked as 'action' joysticks. Also, a couple of the infamous greek sticks didn't survive (Pac-man, SS Fighter or sth. etc) but that was probably due to their questionable 'quality control' at the... factory. Their were great though.
Mind you, I always treat my joysticks with respect, never bashing them like some moron who acts like he's never played a game before. Some people think they can handle joysticks the same way they handle the arcade sticks. Wrong.
Manicx, I think you should donate your joystick to an Amiga club, or even a museum before it breaks down when you least expect it.
No special moves or acrobatics, my Amiga joystics just seemed to fade away when their time came. It was sad, because I couldn't easily afford new joysticks at the time, and connecting the mouse to the joystick port trying to emulate a joystick with random, or even mystical hand/wrist motions didn't help. And the joysticks could get it from totally innocuous games, like E-motion or Powerstyx, not just Epyx-like titles...
Their time had come.
Old 06 December 2005, 20:00   #14
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
StarEye, i have to ask the question..

Did you have a competative younger or older brother / sister?

If the answer is no, then i fear i may have a theory as to why you have not managed to break a joystick. truth be said in my house if you haddent broken a gaming device of some sort then your still a gaming virgin *as you would still have your cherry so to speak LOL*
I played Lotus 2 constantly with my cousin, Kick Off 2 with my brother, Streetfighter 2 and Sensible Soccer with my friends. I played all the competative you can imagine. I also played a LOT of Summer Games and Winter Games, and the worst supposedly joystick-breaking game you can imagine, Decathlon, where just about every competition required you to "wiggle" the joystick.

I've also been playing games for nearly 20 years, and I never broke a joystick unintentionally. Does that make me a "virgin" in your eyes? Heh, I bet you'd lose to a lot of "virgins" if you played against them.
Old 06 December 2005, 21:12   #15
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

I agree StarEye; I've never personally broken a joystick either. I've always believed in treating my stuff with respect, especially a prized possession like the Amiga.

The problem was, in the early days my brother and I shared our Amiga 500 so if he broke a joystick I either had to do without or buy another one and wait for him to break that too. I eventually got my own Amiga 600. This stopped him trashing the computer itself, though because he held the misguided belief that if he broke his joystick and I had a working one he was perfectly entitled to take it and break that too. The handfisted oaf never learnt his lesson.

I think kids these days have got even worse where not looking after things is concerned. Look at these idiots who chuck their iPod Nano in their pocket amongst their keys, coins and all sorts of other sharp objects and then wonder why the screen gets scratched or cracked.

These spoilt brats get everything they want handed to them on a plate so don't have any respect for their toys, gadgets or whatever else. Whine, whine, moan, mindless throw-away society, yada, yada, yada etc etc.
Old 06 December 2005, 22:06   #16
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

I know it is crazy, but I really liked those original Atari 2600 joysticks. When you moved that stick, you knew you were playing a game. I went through quite a few of those. Most of the time the plastic ring would go, but on two occassions I found that the convex metal contact had cracked. I could fix that, but not the plastic ring. You can't replace it with a rigid material and I never found an epoxy or glue that could repair it so that it would last. I tried micro-switched joysticks but felt a bit 'detached' from the action. The Atari joysticks had a very satisfying feel to them, probably because they were quite stiff. I had one stick that lasted quite long: it was bought with the Atari 2600, used for many years on a C64 and then for a month or two on the Amiga. That thing was a legend. I didn't play any wagglers (although Combat School had a monkey-bar level where you had to waggle it) but I reckon the main reason I broke those sticks was plain wear while enjoying games like Demon Attack and Yar's Revenge on the 2600, then Cybernoid and Ghosts 'n Goblins on the C64 and then Rodland and Midnight Resistance on the Amiga.

Last edited by X-ray; 06 December 2005 at 22:12.
Old 06 December 2005, 22:14   #17
Photon

When I was tiny I used to get absolutely raged at the insane difficulty level of some of the shoot'em-ups on my MSX, so I grimaced hideously and repeatedly toggled the power on and off. Not good. Amazingly enough the computer survived my torture :P

I've worn out some joysticks and some just fell apart on me (someone mentioned microswitches ) but I've never smashed one.
Old 06 December 2005, 23:12   #18
spiff
Oh noes!

Well... the dog chewed on the cord.
Old 07 December 2005, 01:20   #19
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOS
..... but i never broke or damaged any joysticks ! how do u break them????? do u bang them on the floor when u loose or what ? or do u twist the stick so hard that it snaps ?
one word... well, not really a word, an acronymn... SWOS
Old 07 December 2005, 03:06   #20
SWOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace
one word... well, not really a word, an acronymn... SWOS
well that was the most thing i played on my amiga back then... spent hours n hours n hours..days ...months...

but i didnt break anything...

AdSense AdSense