English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 04 December 2005, 18:48   #1
Jerry

Advanced audio capture

Hi,
first I have to praise the 4-channel record option which is so great for retracking old non-protracker songs. I was recently able to convert several of the dynablaster tracks to a handier format using that cool feature in conjunction with the sampleripper. Great.

Some things that would make my life even easier would be when the sampleripper could also rip the loopinformation and 2nd if winuae could output something like a list with timestamps and the corresponding sample numbers. I don't know how difficult it is, but this would rock for me...
AdSense AdSense  

Old 05 December 2005, 13:27   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Not possible. There are no hardware sample numbers, only memory (chip ram) addresses and length of samples (+volume and pitch and other misc stuff)
Old 05 December 2005, 19:35   #3
Jerry

Hmm,
I thought I remembered when banging the sound-hardware I could say mempos of sample, frequency and looppoint, but I might be mistaken there. It's been quite a while.

I know that there are no such things as hardware samples but as winuae can save the samples and don't generate double samples I thought of something like:
Winuae detects that a sample is played from memory x, frequency y with volume z and channel a. Then writes out sample adfname_#number.wav and to a different file (perhaps text): a,Timestamp,samplename,y,z.
I don't know if I'm clear here and it's probably not a feature you would use everyday...
Old 06 December 2005, 12:45   #4
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

I would use it! I have been wanting this feature for a long time!!
Old 06 December 2005, 13:10   #5
thomas

Quote:
I thought I remembered when banging the sound-hardware I could say mempos of sample, frequency and looppoint, but I might be mistaken there. It's been quite a while.
No. The hardware always loops the sample forever. Soundtracker used a trick to have one-time samples: after setting up the hardware it waited for DMA to start and then set the sample length to 1 (one word = two bytes). With this trick, the hardware played the entire sample once and then looped the first two bytes. This is the reason why all Soundtracker samples had to start with two zero bytes.

The same trick was used to loop only part of the sample. E.g. for strings: the first time the sample was played entirely and once it started playing, the hardware was set up to play only the loop.
Old 06 December 2005, 15:09   #6
Jerry

Hm, thanks for the info. Now I remember. But that means that I can assume if winuae outputs two samples, one with the whole sample and the second with only part of it, the second is the loopsample? As far as I understand samples are detected by writes of memory locations to aud0con (or whatever that register is called, again memory is fading) and for a looped sample there should be 2 of such writes!? Have to check it this evening when I'm at home again...

Edit: Yes, I checked it and the above is right. If there are 2 output files with the same sample, the shorter one is the looped part. Thanks for the hint thomas.

Last edited by Jerry; 09 December 2005 at 10:44.
Old 29 January 2006, 11:45   #7
Muerto

@Jerry
Dload DeliPlayer, it´s able to play the dynablaster music, and simpley record it with the Streamrecorder, that comes with the DeliPlayer pakage....
allmost every piece of music kan be found on Exotica og Modland..
AdSense AdSense