English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01 December 2005, 12:31   #21
nikemoto2511
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IE
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
??

Now I'm lost.. what does any of this have to do with Amiga.. face it the Amiga is pretty much a dead platform, and if you think it can replace the current pc.. forget it.!
i do not believe it is dead. on windows pc: it makes sense to store things on floppy disks: long filenames scramble cd-roms, little gifs consume USB memory quickly and confuse hdd directories. especially saved websites (news): do not need them each day, if any. one disk (50 cent) can hold ten or twenty stories... and MIDI of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
You are right there aren't as many screensavers and you don't get bugged to install this and that.. but then I don't have any screensavers on my PC and I don't get asked to install this or that unless i'm trying to open a specific file for a specific piece of software!
some people have to work on arrays of different machines, including environment where they can't change settings/install things permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
As for an Amiga game.. good luck and I hope it pans out well for you.. you seem to know what you want, but right now you are not communicating effectively to others!
ineffective communication=better than no communication? mini-game (two levels), spiders, rats, cemtery, coffin and haunted house: however, i found such a demo game yesterday on the aminet (it has rats and spiders). great fun: the controls are slightly delayed (0.15 seconds). the name: "bubgun" (bubble gun), not a shame for the amiga...

Last edited by nikemoto2511; 01 December 2005 at 12:38.
nikemoto2511 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 December 2005, 12:37   #22
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 8,621
Well I don't have a floppy drive in my PC (Though each of my Amigas do).

The Amiga is a dead platform.. there is some development but nothing that will shake the computing world or make anyone outside of the current amiga community take notice..

I applaud you for what you are doing.. I just don't completely understand what the heck it is!

What sort of game? Platform, RPG???

Here is what I have gotten so-far..


You want to mkae a game that has rats, spiders, a cemetary, coffins and a haunted house..

How would the user interact? How will it be different to what is currently out there?

Play Addams Family
BippyM is offline  
Old 01 December 2005, 12:51   #23
nikemoto2511
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IE
Posts: 11
amiga workbench: hold "shift" and click icons --> sort of evidence windows actually represents a workbench implementation.

GNU=reverse acronym for GNU is NOT UNIX.
however i believe amiga os 1.3/3.1=UNIX.

years ago i read in an amiga magazine: (hdd installation guide) "red is black and plus is minus".

amiga *is* NOT a "multimedia pc". it's a "UNIX based television game console".

people say "multimedia pc" and do not fully know the meaings of the terms. and don't wanna probably: not "compulsory required" for "multimedia playback" and "professional word processing".

the quotations "" --> suggestion to look up these words in a dictionary and "get entertained" by their "self-contained hilarity".

guess "you" won't say "UNIX *is* dead"...
nikemoto2511 is offline  
Old 01 December 2005, 13:08   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 8,621
You've gone completely off in a different direction!

I KNOW what the Amiga is (I've been an Amiga user since 1991).

I KNOW what a PC is

I know there are aspects of Windows that are taken from WB and MACOS, other things that you think are taken from WB are simply common sense things that all gui based operating systems would at some point have been included simply because it's common sense.

Organising Icons on a desktop is an example of something that is common sense.. Amiga just did it first!

Also the Amiga was NOT initially developed as a games console/machine.. it was originally developed for more serious work. It just so happens that Commodore repackaged and slimmed down the a1000 and released the a500 at a much more affordable price.. the result is well known!
BippyM is offline  
Old 01 December 2005, 15:47   #25
nikemoto2511
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IE
Posts: 11
bippym, i agree what you say. except amiga=game console: if we burry the term "home computer" (because abberative), there are

consoles (television based)
personal computers (screen terminal based)
mobile devices (integrated screen)

commodore advertising has kept people away actually, dont know if that's good or bad.

because people take words literally, "television game console" does not say management people do not watch television. connect a600 to a b/w CRT mini tv=very efficient and easily portable. well somehow orwell-1984-like, secretary woman would probably refuse to work in such a company. result: the manager itself has to type reports "containing assumptions about future fortunes".

professional business people have not seen it as state-of-the-art for their offices. nowadays, a500 do not have web-browers, but allow staff to play games (on small b/w screen) if they can provide it on floppy disk?

actually, back then they not even wanted "personal computers" in the office, and demanded "multimedia machines". i just mean, the assumption people would download mp3 freely all the time (if available) = actually wrong. working class people do not have the time to create custom cd's, and serious workers do not carry i-pods, they are just a consume option for girlies (have seen them in this environment). actually i have the address of two legal mp3 sites, however buying real cd's time by time. i mean the copy protection efforts do not make too much sense, see SONY...

just saying it was a good machine, which even deserves attention these days, virtually no unsolicicted email...

don't we play games all the time

nikemoto2511 is offline  
Old 01 December 2005, 16:04   #26
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 41
Posts: 5,185
i don't understand. what's the point of this whole thread?
1) to produce new software for old machines? that's something that people does in free time with little to zero marketable scope, just for fun
2) to prodoce old software for new machines? same as first point; moreover the drive to do something should be the drive to do it good.
3) a generic rant on how the amiga should be alive and well? well it shouldn't as the users evidently have express their preferences in a different way. of course that it is largely not their choice as probably a different Commodore (or another company for the matter) during the years could as well be still delivering new smart Amiga-like hardware today. with the accent on "smart". as the things are not so and presume they could be changed on a whim, without substantials transformations is kinda nonsense.
4) a generic rant on how much Amiga is/was alike other new/old hardware and OS? well and so what? you could as well check the differences. point is that the interfaces, all of them, have at the two extremes diverse stuff on one side, with diverse meaning, and people, with common traits on the other side, so structurally they have similitudes.

please can you articulate more clearly what's your point? thanks
Marcuz is offline  
Old 01 December 2005, 16:06   #27
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 41
Posts: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemoto2511
bippym, i agree what you say. except amiga=game console: if we burry the term "home computer" (because abberative), there are

consoles (television based)
personal computers (screen terminal based)
mobile devices (integrated screen)

commodore advertising has kept people away actually, dont know if that's good or bad.

because people take words literally, "television game console" does not say management people do not watch television. connect a600 to a b/w CRT mini tv=very efficient and easily portable. well somehow orwell-1984-like, secretary woman would probably refuse to work in such a company. result: the manager itself has to type reports "containing assumptions about future fortunes".

professional business people have not seen it as state-of-the-art for their offices. nowadays, a500 do not have web-browers, but allow staff to play games (on small b/w screen) if they can provide it on floppy disk?

actually, back then they not even wanted "personal computers" in the office, and demanded "multimedia machines". i just mean, the assumption people would download mp3 freely all the time (if available) = actually wrong. working class people do not have the time to create custom cd's, and serious workers do not carry i-pods, they are just a consume option for girlies (have seen them in this environment). actually i have the address of two legal mp3 sites, however buying real cd's time by time. i mean the copy protection efforts do not make too much sense, see SONY...

just saying it was a good machine, which even deserves attention these days, virtually no unsolicicted email...

don't we play games all the time
oh, ok. more or less
Marcuz is offline  
Old 01 December 2005, 17:00   #28
Chuckles
The Ancient One
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kansas City/USA
Age: 62
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemoto2511
however i believe amiga os 1.3/3.1=UNIX.
The Amiga OS is very Unix-like in many respects, but it is most certainly NOT Unix. It might be more accurate to describe it as being "Unix inspired" in some ways. There was a Unix variant (Amix as I recall) produced that would run on some of the higher-end Amigas, but it wasn't something that wound up in the hands of very many Amiga users at all.
Chuckles is offline  
Old 01 December 2005, 17:00   #29
nikemoto2511
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IE
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
i don't understand. what's the point of this whole thread?
1) to produce new software for old machines? that's something that people does in free time with little to zero marketable scope, just for fun
2) to prodoce old software for new machines? same as first point; moreover the drive to do something should be the drive to do it good.
3) a generic rant on how the amiga should be alive and well? well it shouldn't as the users evidently have express their preferences in a different way. of course that it is largely not their choice as probably a different Commodore (or another company for the matter) during the years could as well be still delivering new smart Amiga-like hardware today. with the accent on "smart". as the things are not so and presume they could be changed on a whim, without substantials transformations is kinda nonsense.
4) a generic rant on how much Amiga is/was alike other new/old hardware and OS? well and so what? you could as well check the differences. point is that the interfaces, all of them, have at the two extremes diverse stuff on one side, with diverse meaning, and people, with common traits on the other side, so structurally they have similitudes.

please can you articulate more clearly what's your point? thanks
new, old software for old, new machines. long sentence: new software made with old-fashioned tools in plain old style, for newly produced replica of old machine.

3) this means to outsource: no keyboard, mouse, no psu, no parallel/serial port, usb ports and built in operatings system. clearly no extension slots (or a bus junction like the A500 zorro).

to do advances graphics: this does not require an amiga, x86 pc's are the better choice for multimedia. people do not have to produce advanced graphics in their spare time, but should have the right to reproduce media like cd/dvd. it takes hours to make custom compilations, i wonder who does it except students or poor communities.

microsoft puts light editions of windows on the market (thailand) because of piracy. it looks they are stooping it by making it ineffective, "pirate copiers pointed at" in the near future. reading the news about and from microsoft, the commodore empire looks different, they just were without the experience about people (computer users) "we" have gathered in the last twenty years. even todays assumption are still ineffective, like overly increased security means (which produce strong hacking attempts and also "social engineering").

if people read what microsoft writes, they may understand that's not just an evil empire (though a cash machinery) but producing a stream of software, technical documentation and generating news about itself. it is clearly an improvent compared to old commodore advertising (and ideas), however, this evolution has not yet stopped, windows itself has not come to a status where it withstands hacking attempts by structure. because based on ms-dos (win95/98), they had and still have to update the kernel, system dll's and so on. one time, they might not need further update anymore for a long time, and this makes hacking ineffective then.

do not read these things: no gurantee it contains any information.

just saying the amiga is a television game console with the same processor like the sega megadrive. this machine requires licensing for software programming. the amiga does not.
nikemoto2511 is offline  
Old 01 December 2005, 17:07   #30
nikemoto2511
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IE
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
The Amiga OS is very Unix-like in many respects, but it is most certainly NOT Unix. It might be more accurate to describe it as being "Unix inspired" in some ways. There was a Unix variant (Amix as I recall) produced that would run on some of the higher-end Amigas, but it wasn't something that wound up in the hands of very many Amiga users at all.
on ms-dos machines i generate .bat scripts with qbasic-
in example it allows to do a specific backup labelled by datestamp.
(or generate dynamic html with javascript)
though both not very useful alone, together they make a good team.
nikemoto2511 is offline  
Old 01 December 2005, 18:13   #31
Charlie
. . Mouse . .
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nowhere
Age: 49
Posts: 1,792
Have I got this right?
nikemoto2511 sees the AOS platform ( with emulator? ) as a stable virtual machine to which small apps/tools of all sorts can be written?
-access to 'modern hardware' - proper multimedia can be done.
-stable/basic system - easy to write, no compatability problems.
-small executable size - easily portable between boxes. ( floppy? cd? )
-understandable to joe public - "this disc has my"... music / address book / favorite game(s) / etc... "on it & I just shove it into any convenient computer to use."

Kind of like JAVA should be.

If I'm confused too how about adding an explanation of this thread to the FAQ?

Last edited by Charlie; 01 December 2005 at 18:36.
Charlie is offline  
Old 01 December 2005, 19:10   #32
Chuckles
The Ancient One
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kansas City/USA
Age: 62
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemoto2511
on ms-dos machines i generate .bat scripts with qbasic-
in example it allows to do a specific backup labelled by datestamp.
(or generate dynamic html with javascript)
though both not very useful alone, together they make a good team.
I'm a big fan of barbecue. I also enjoy an occasional jalapeno pepper.

(I usually only quote a portion of a post in order to respond to it, but I thought this post was in keeping with the spirit of this thread)
Chuckles is offline  
Old 02 December 2005, 00:04   #33
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 41
Posts: 5,185
with all respect, one could as well reply to your point with a sequence of "so what".
you make very (at least to me) unrelated statements out of the blue, and i would like to know, so what? let's skip the case you ranting, but if you are instead talking businnes, please be more organic and ordered. have you a project? at least an idea?
if i'm wrong and simply i'm dumb, i apologize in advance
Marcuz is offline  
Old 02 December 2005, 01:35   #34
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, Made in Norway
Age: 45
Posts: 827
Nikemoto, I'm really sorry....I'm utterly confused by your posts. I guess I've been using Windows too long...... :look
Doc Mindie is offline  
Old 02 December 2005, 03:56   #35
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 8,621
nikemoto you talk some shite!!
BippyM is offline  
Old 02 December 2005, 05:53   #36
woody57
Registered User
woody57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Manchester
Age: 95
Posts: 801
Lightbulb The Truth is out there

nikemoto2511 REAL NAME = alex finn, dublin, ireland.

Favorite things

Mad magazine , retro games & news speak

These details found from open links on his website homepage

After reading through various entries on Alex's site it seems quite clear he is just trolling on this board by " pretending to be interesting"

This why his sentences make little or no sense at all as he merely adds phrases out of context in order to appear as though there is grain of truth in the "Bucket of Shite" that the rest of his entries contain.

Consequently I am locking this thread & unless you Alex decide to stop playing games in thread & wasting peoples time you will find yourself banned.

This is an international board where English is the common language, consequently we make allowances for those whoose sentence structure & spelling are not perfect.

So far you have abused mebership by playing Techno Troll games

Writting thngs just to get a reaction,cryptic clues & blarney aside do us one favour


PLEASE GROW UP
woody57 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What systems have you slept with DrF Nostalgia & memories 35 22 September 2007 14:17
What systems would you like to expand? BinoX Amiga scene 9 03 July 2007 09:58
New Commodore systems Oscar Castillo Amiga scene 10 31 March 2007 17:10
Filesystems for other systems dir_marillion support.Apps 1 02 March 2006 17:44
Where to buy systems UK? Baseley09 Retrogaming General Discussion 2 13 December 2004 18:21

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.23849 seconds with 12 queries