English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 30 November 2005, 20:40   #41
glwxxx

you might also enable the debug-mode in WinUAE config and then if WinUAE crashes again you can send the log to the author of WinUAE...

AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 November 2005, 20:44   #42
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Ok, i will have an eye on the next crash and will tell Toni about this.
Old 02 December 2005, 07:23   #43
woody57

Ok I will be specific I am running Amikit as a CLEAN installation on a 2.7ghz xp OS machine with 1.5gig ram & all soundout put via an X-Fi Elite Pro Sound card, which has not had any problems with any of the many sound apllications I have run on pc.

The issue of a POOR score is the miss-timing of the idividual tracks whether its running Eagle Player or Hippo. I was not looking for Amikit to "suddenly" make 8bit or higher samples sound like perfection but timing is a SERIOUS ISSUE.

Also I should mention the stutter & delay of sound while running a key file licenced version of the Frog player ..which currently runs well in small windows for picture but NOTat its default size & still with sound issues above

Perhaps this is occuring because your essentially running an emulator inside an emulator ?

I really don't know as I have not spent any real time using WINuae to compare it with.

I can positvely say thats its handling of the Amiga CD cover disks & Cd based programmes runs flawlessly..well at least so far I await the adding of real MUI files to add my drawstudio to really test it { I will be using my own registered versions of both}

So at least for now I hope you can answer the MOD player question, as I know it might require some adjustments to WINuae defaults it may be worth adding to the installation notes of Amikit hat some things DON'T run from a straight installation.

Last edited by woody57; 02 December 2005 at 07:29.
Old 02 December 2005, 09:40   #44
glwxxx

@woody57

thank you form the report! Someone other reported a timing problem as well. Even though I do not have much time I'll try to investigate this... btw. I assume this problem doesn't appear in AIAB or AmigaSYS, am I correct? In that case it must be something related to AmiKit config

Old 02 December 2005, 10:52   #45
woody57

These do NOT occur in AIAB or AmigaSYS this is why I raised it as question.

I like the AmiKit package it has many instantly useable features & I will continue to test it fairly, pointing to its good and bad points that way, you know if its just me being a "Cranky Old git" or it's a common problem for others as well
Old 02 December 2005, 13:06   #46
glwxxx

great, you can use AmiKit forum for that!

Old 03 December 2005, 15:53   #47
glwxxx

Sound problem fixed

@woody57

It seems I found the reason of the bad replaying of songs. The fix is easy, fortunatelly. It's enough to decrease the mixing frequency from 44100Hz to 27500Hz.

Start EaglePlayer and select AmplifierManager from right-click menu. Then select 8bit Amplifier and popup its GUI by pressing Show button. Enable the Global option from right-click menu of this amplifier and then decrease the sample mixing frequency from 44100 to about 27500 Hz. (If the global option is enabled, the frequency is changed for all the channels). Do the same for 14bit Amplifier. Do not forget to save the settings of both amplifiers.

These amplifiers are used to mix the sound across the channels in order to get some sourround. However I've just found out that you can get a better sound quality (IMHO) by using classic 4ch output in EaglePlayer (without any mixing) while the crosschannel mixing could be done by WinUAE itself (by Sound -> Stereo Separation option). To test it, move the "4ch FastRAM Amplifier" to the top of the amplifier list in AmplifierManager, so every song is played by this amplifier then. Save the settings of EaglePlayer.

With regards to HippoPlayer (or any other Paula replayers), decrease every 44100 value found in its config to 27500 (except AHI ofcourse).

I apologize for the problems, I did not realized 44100Hz is too much for WinUAE.

However with regards to Frogger, I am not sure why it's slowdowned. The sound problem cannot be of the same kind as in EaglePlayer just because Frogger uses AHI for replaying the sound. Try to play with Frogger tooltypes or AHI Prefs.

Old 06 December 2005, 13:27   #48
glwxxx

Happy AmiKit 1.01 UPDATE package available

Hello,
there is a small update package available at http://amikit.amiga.sk

AmiKit 1.01 update (06-Dec-2005):

- ADDED: new Magic bootpicture for 1024x768. Use AmiKit:Prefs/ShowAmiga96_Prefs to enable it.
- UPDATED: asyncio.library 40.6
- FIXED: bad replaying of sound modules due to incorrect frequency settings
- FIXED: ASp audio problems with AHI6
- FIXED: AF2005 Online Edition not recognized if Win C: partition has no additional name.

Old 06 December 2005, 23:05   #49
Stein

The bad replaying of sound (mods eagle player, hippo etc) is the same thing I was speaking to you about in PMs Glwxxx.

Except of course I'm not using AmiKit, just ShowAmiga96 (I discovered SA96 by way of AmiKit and I'm using it in my own wb3.9 uae install)

What I've found is all the problems go away when you remove or comment out SA96 from the startup-sequence. Furthermore, I can also get rid of the problem by using one of your bootpics

The freq changes you reccomend do not work for me.

Now I know this isn't exactly an AmiKit problem I'm having, but I would suspect the problems are related.

I'd be curious to know if all you people having sound problems might try removing SA96 and see what happens?

SA96 seems to be the 'ultimate' bootpic prg, I hate to give up on it.

(BTW I know how crazy this sounds, I'm not a noob to programming or the amiga, but this problem is making feel like it )

Matt
Old 06 December 2005, 23:17   #50
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwxxx
you might also enable the debug-mode in WinUAE config and then if WinUAE crashes again you can send the log to the author of WinUAE...
i had no crashes in the last six days. Using the AmiKit package as an .hdf is more stable than the folder version.
Old 07 December 2005, 06:09   #51
woody57

Well running the Amikit as the clean installation & making the suguested changes HAS sorted out the sound problem.
My only question now is sorting out the MUI classes so I can attempt to run a fully registered version of DRAWSTUDIO.

I had left this to be sorted UNTIL the sound question was cleared up as by applyiing fixes in order it determines whether the problems are NEW or the same, prior to a fix being applied.

I personally have NOT had any crashes during the 10 days i have had this programme installed and having tested it's online Ibrowse net funtions, including downloads also its Amirc abilities {both with keyfiles} can say its performs as stable as a real 1200.

The Frog player issue is a minor one as AVI handling by real Amiga's without dedicated graphics cards has allways been poor.

So an emulator , inside an emulator can hardly be expected to resolve issues that pre-existed its creation. without insult an ordinary win98 600hz PC can handle this type of media better ...so its NOT a Amikit problem
Old 07 December 2005, 22:41   #52
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

I've not tested very hard, I had to admit. my PC was going so slowly and eraticly whan I installed AmiKit the first time, I had to trash it and reinstall, which I did saturday. I reinstalled Amikit yesterday (Thanks to the guy that came over with a copy of 3.9 for me to borrow for a couple of weeks) and as far as I can tell, it works perfectly. Not that I've tested around alot, but....

Ibrowse and AWeb seems to work without any major flaws, (haven't tried with any Flash-y things or Java-heavy stuff yet) AmIRC is (as always) a dream to use, especially when compared to mIRC. I didn't really like running Magllan on startup, so I chnged the lines in the Startup-sequence to loadwb -debug instead, and I'm using Opus 4. Might be I'm still stuck in 1991, but I happen to LIKE Dopus4

Extracting archives couldn't really be easier......just use the downloads drawer

I've not tried any games yet.

I've configured WinUAE to my personal prefs, which is (in random order as I remember them) 4 diskdrives, 68040 instead of 020/FPU, fullscreen when starting emulation, soundbuffer set to one (I've always had problems with soundbuffer at default value) Frequnce 22050Hz, and priority set to "Above Normal" "Pause Emu" and "Pause Emu"

This config (I just change to OCS/ECS, ROM and RAM as needed for "exact" A500 emu) is very stable for me. What I've not listed so far, is set to just their default values.

What I've been doing with AmiKit, it has proven as stable as.....hmmm....well.....Linux
Old 12 December 2005, 09:54   #53
glwxxx

AmiKit 1.02 UPDATE package available

AmiKit 1.02 update (12-Dec-2005) - contains v1.01 update as well:

- ADDED: excellent DirOpus4 configuration created for AmiKit by Pavel Pok
- ADDED: GMPlay 1.3 + GMPlayMUI 1.2 + gmtones + MidiFiles
- ADDED: XPK packing options to DirOpus5 User Menu
- UPDATED: FlashPlayer 1.2
- UPDATED: MCC_TextEditor 15.17
- UPDATED: MMKeyboard enabled by default. Adjust your PC keyboard to your needs by AmiKit:Utilities/EXPANSION/MMKeyboard/MMKeyboard configuration program.
- UPDATED: AmiKit.exe warns you if the name of your Win partition is in conflict with AmiKit
- UPDATED: handling of DirOpus5 XPK and XFD filetypes
- FIXED: bad recognizing of DirOpus5 Sound Module filetype

AmiKit 1.01 update (06-Dec-2005):

- ADDED: new Magic bootpicture for 1024x768. Use AmiKit:Prefs/ShowAmiga96_Prefs to enable it.
- UPDATED: asyncio.library 40.6
- FIXED: bad replaying of sound modules due to incorrect frequency settings
- FIXED: ASp audio problems with AHI6
- FIXED: AF2005 Online Edition not recognized if Win C: partition has no additional name.

TROUBLESHOOTING: It might happen that IPrefs crashes during the boot process (behind the bootpicture so this picture never disappears). In that case just reset AmiKit and try to boot again.

Old 24 December 2005, 01:11   #54
glwxxx

Thumbs up AmiKit 1.03 UPDATE package available

AmiKit has been updated. Merry Christmas!

AmiKit 1.03 update (24-Dec-2005)
- note that v1.02 update is required.

- ADDED: AmiKit Polish documentation, translated by Tomek!
- ADDED: AmigaAMP-External68k engine, set as default engine now.
- UPDATED: AmigaAMP 2.16
- UPDATED: IBrowse Preferences 23.3
- UPDATED: Jabberwocky 1.6
- UPDATED: MakeCD 3.2d beta 11
- UPDATED: WHDLoad 16.5 build 4021
- UPDATED: WookieChat 1.9.2
- UPDATED: YAM 2.4p1 + locale files

Old 24 December 2005, 02:40   #55
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

AmiKit is wicked mate .. 1 happy customer
Old 24 December 2005, 02:49   #56
woody57

Same here Mr Orgasm I keep looking for faults but allowing for how young it is I am very impressed with its updates
Old 25 December 2005, 08:39   #57
Steve James

Hi

I'm using Amikit and have found it to be great!
Had a look through a few AA CD's last night, found one of the newer sysinfo type things.
Found out I have something like a 1200mhz 020 !
Laughed my bollocks off
BTW I also have the latest Amiga forever (which is where I got the roms etc) and find this much better "out of the box"

Cheers
Steve
Old 25 January 2006, 11:26   #58
glwxxx

AmiKit 1.04 UPDATE package available

AmiKit has been updated to v1.04, ENJOY!
For more information please visit http://amikit.amiga.sk

AmiKit 1.04 update (24-Jan-2006) - note that at least v1.02 update is required.

- ADDED: DigiConverter 1.2 (AmiKit:Tools/)
- ADDED: GuardAmy 1.2 (AmiKit:Internet/GuardAmy/)
- ADDED: STFax 4.0 (AmiKit:Internet/STFax4/)
- ADDED: Tree 1.785 (AmiKit:C/)
- UPDATED: akGIF.datatype 45.30
- UPDATED: akJFIF.datatype 45.30
- UPDATED: akPNG.datatype 45.30
- UPDATED: akTIFF.datatype 45.30
- UPDATED: console.device 44.10 patch (run "Install Patches" to install it)
- UPDATED: KingCON 1.7
- UPDATED: LimpidClock 1.16 beta
- UPDATED: MultiView 45.10 patch (run "Install Patches" to install it)
- UPDATED: NewString.mcc 16.17 beta
- UPDATED: rexxsyslib.library 44.2
- UPDTAED: PicShow 31.301 and Thumb 7.223
- UPDATED: SimpleMail 0.28
- UPDATED: TTEngine 7.2
- UPDATED: WookieChat 1.9.3
- FIXED: AmiKit Polish offline documentation links refered to internet
- FIXED: AmiKit/Configurations moved to AmiKit/WinUAE/Configurations so the "Configure WinUAE" button shows the config entries now
- FIXED: Double AmiKit install entries in "Add or Remove Programs"

Old 07 February 2006, 22:23   #59
glwxxx

Lightbulb AfA_OS cooperates with AmiKit!

I am happy to announce an exclusive cooperation between AfA_OS and AmiKit! AfA_OS project (created by Bernd Roesch) is a way how to use the AROS sources in AmigaOS compatible systems and thus enabling a lot of magic features for AmiKit as well. For example, AmiKit will acquire a brand new truetype font look and the loading speed of icons will be increased 5 to 10 times! The AfA_OS is now being tested and adapted to AmiKit enviroment and should be ready in next AmiKit update. Stay tuned!

Old 07 February 2006, 22:37   #60
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Good news glwxxx, the icon loading speed sounds interesting. Can't wait to see this in action.
AdSense AdSense