AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwxxx
ok Amigaz,
  1. what hardware do you have?
  2. what source of OS have you used?
  3. does the SAFEMODE work for you all the time?
  4. if not, rename WBStartup drawer as well and try again.
  5. in normal startup-sequence, try to disable ShowAmiga96, so you can see what is happening behind the picture during the boot process. Like it is written in website, IPrefs might crash sometimes. In that case, try to increase the value of WAIT commands before and after the IPrefs in startup-sequence. (eg. C:Wait 3)
  6. ehm, no more ideas... try to use the AmiKit forum
1. Dual Xeon 2.66ghz, 1gig ram, Windows XP Pro
2. OS3.9
3. havent tried yet
4. will try
5. will check

thanks for your advice, will try these things out
I'm kinda against emulators since my religion is using real Amiga's but this package and others lika AmigaSys is really cool and I might use some bits of it on my real Amiga's, hope to see AmiKit also for real Amiga's

btw, how do you get those menu's and stuff transparent?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 November 2005, 20:14   #22
glwxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ
btw, how do you get those menu's and stuff transparent?
Maybe you mean MagicMenu and AmiStart...

Old 27 November 2005, 20:25   #23
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Maybe you mean MagicMenu and AmiStart...
yep
Old 27 November 2005, 21:19   #24
woody57

Exclamation Easy to install

I downloaded & installed the AMIKIT programme including the adding my own CD 3.9 version & both boing bags in under 20 minutes.
The only "wierd" bit was allthough the OS3.9 installed from the 1st PC cd device , I had to swop it to the second device before it was recognised by AMIKIT to install the boing bags.
Since this is typed in using the Ibrowse config from the programme , I can say its handling SEEMS exactly the same as my own 1200 setup.
However I have yet to stretch it with any real application yet
So I will be resrving judgement till then
Old 27 November 2005, 21:25   #25
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

hi glwxxx,

as you can see the AmiKit works fine in the "classic wb" mode with the png-icon patch. How about a nice png icon update script to replace the glow icons from Ken?

btw: I've noticed that the thumbnails from OS3.5 & png icons are not shown correctly in the icon information screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmiKit.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	9809   Click image for larger version

Name:	icon-information.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	9811  

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 28 November 2005 at 03:52.
Old 27 November 2005, 21:33   #26
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody57
The only "wierd" bit was allthough the OS3.9 installed from the 1st PC cd device , I had to swop it to the second device before it was recognised by AMIKIT to install the boing bags.
i noticed the same, only the CD0 driver is installed, amikit chooses my LG DVD burner and not my Toshiba DVD drive as the first drive. You need to install also the cachecdfs driver for CD1 and CD2 (the daemon-tools drive).

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 28 November 2005 at 00:18.
Old 28 November 2005, 01:44   #27
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Just had a test try before going to bed.

looks NICE!!!!!!!!! Except for one teeny little thing.....I think the author has been a teensy weensy bit around WinXP and WinVista beta's too much :P

EXTREME on eyecandy......I'm normally happy with just a very basic OS GUI, which allows me todo what I want. This one......I'll have a more indepth look, to try an get the feel of it.

loads pretty quickly on an Sempron2600+/1GB RAM nVidia Geforce 4MX/128RAM, at least in the bootpart you've done a decent job.

Like I said.....I'll have a more indepth look at it tomorrow.....

I'm not sure what use I have of all that eyecandy, though.....maybe I'm stuck in the 1993 "6MB should be enough for most games" world still :P
Old 28 November 2005, 15:22   #28
glwxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
i noticed the same, only the CD0 driver is installed, amikit chooses my LG DVD burner and not my Toshiba DVD drive as the first drive. You need to install also the cachecdfs driver for CD1 and CD2 (the daemon-tools drive).
taken from Tips&Tricks page, again

If you want to enable the support for more than one CD/DVD drive, simply move the CD1 (CD2, CD3, CD4) file from AmiKit:Storage/DosDrivers/ to AmiKit: Devs/DosDrivers/. For temporary activation of these drives simply click the boingball located on the taskbar -> Utilities -> System -> DOS Drivers -> and choose the drive you want to activate.

PS: I was afraid of getting "CD1 not found" message during the startup, that's why CD0 is installed only...

Quote:
btw: I've noticed that the thumbnails from OS3.5 & png icons are not shown correctly in the icon information screen.
nice Workbench-only setup Retro-Nerd! Since you're not using DOpus, put RAWBInfo back to WBStartup. You should find it in AmiKit:WBStartup/Disabled.

Last edited by glwxxx; 28 November 2005 at 15:29.

Old 28 November 2005, 15:26   #29
glwxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie
I think the author has been a teensy weensy bit around WinXP and WinVista beta's too much :P
I've never seen WinVista, really! I swear!

Old 28 November 2005, 15:45   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwxx
nice Workbench-only setup Retro-Nerd! Since you're not using DOpus, put RAWBInfo back to WBStartup. You should find it in AmiKit:WBStartup/Disabled.
Juchuu, now it works fine. Thanks again, i love this package so much.
Old 28 November 2005, 17:31   #31
Oryp

What the.....

OK, installed the package, went to run it, selected AF online for my source, and it now says "This is not a valid source for Amiga OS. Installation can not continue"

Is it perhaps looking for the files in the default Amiga Forever install directory, which I did not use?

To be more precise, it's the AF2005 Online edition, as I don't have my CD yet.

Last edited by Oryp; 28 November 2005 at 18:14.
Old 28 November 2005, 20:01   #32
glwxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryp
OK, installed the package, went to run it, selected AF online for my source, and it now says "This is not a valid source for Amiga OS. Installation can not continue"

Is it perhaps looking for the files in the default Amiga Forever install directory, which I did not use?

To be more precise, it's the AF2005 Online edition, as I don't have my CD yet.
I just replied in AmiKit's forum. I hope it helps.

Old 28 November 2005, 23:38   #33
Oryp

Fixed!

OK. Just in case someone else runs into this issue!

I had to name my C: drive. Doesn't matter what, but it can not be blank.

Basically there is a file called AFOnline in the \AmiKit\Prefs\Env-Archive folder which contains the location of the Amiga Forever system files (for AF2005 it is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Amiga Files\System...which I think is RETARDED! All program information should be saved within the program directory, not scattered about! Eh, just an old programmers state of mind I guess... /rant off)

It basically did not have a drive name, so it was confusing the install.
(:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Amiga Files\System instead of
XP:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Amiga Files\System, where XP is the name of the drive)
Old 29 November 2005, 00:56   #34
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
OK. Just in case someone else runs into this issue!
Basically there is a file called AFOnline in the \AmiKit\Prefs\Env-Archive folder which contains the location of the Amiga Forever system files (for AF2005 it is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Amiga Files\System...which I think is RETARDED! All program information should be saved within the program directory, not scattered about! Eh, just an old programmers state of mind I guess... /rant off)
The scattering about and hiding you most wanted stuff and displying things you don't want to see.....that's how MicroSoft believes how you want things :/

Good thing I have an ISO of Amithlon on me HD, my WB3.5 and 3.9 is in Norway still

And I'm in Mancland, Brittain
Old 29 November 2005, 18:26   #35
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

hi, glwxxx

i got some WinUAE crashes with AmiKit. XP reports a bug to the nt.dll. I'm using Xp with SP2. Any idea?

i also noticed that my coloursettings sometimes changes as shown in the screenshot, i mean the ughly yellow. After a reset all is fine again. I know this problem from other amiga packages like AIAB, mostly after changing some settings in the GUI prefs.

microgolded reports a "can't delete file Amikit:s/startup-sequence" when i want to save a changed startup-sequence. But the settings are still saved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmiKit-colourbug.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	9817  

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 29 November 2005 at 19:28.
Old 29 November 2005, 19:52   #36
woody57

Ok since I started my "serious " testing issues with Amikit today I have been running sound checks using original amiga MOD's of different types

My findings are the response of the two players eagle & hippo player
This area compared to a real even basic A600 running the same modules is VERY POOR

I will of course look at your forum for answers BUT for whats advertised as "ready to run" this is a major pitfall

Tomorrow I will be running its art & graphics to compare with REAL miggy I certainly hope it goes better than todays tested 100+ sound mods
Old 29 November 2005, 21:20   #37
glwxxx

Quote:
I had to name my C: drive. Doesn't matter what, but it can not be blank.
yes, I must confirm this bug. When you plan to install AmiKit using AF2005-Online Edition as a source of system files, please give a name to your Windows C: drive (eg. WinXP or whatever). Once the AmiKit is successfully installed, you can remove this name. I hope the fixed AmiKit.exe GUI will be ready soon...

Old 30 November 2005, 16:16   #38
glwxxx

Quote:
hi, glwxxx

i got some WinUAE crashes with AmiKit. XP reports a bug to the nt.dll. I'm using Xp with SP2. Any idea?
what source of system files have you used? When does the crash appear exactly? btw. maybe it's something WinUAE related and not AmiKit...

Quote:
i also noticed that my coloursettings sometimes changes as shown in the screenshot, i mean the ughly yellow. After a reset all is fine again. I know this problem from other amiga packages like AIAB, mostly after changing some settings in the GUI prefs.
generally, this is the problem of VisualPrefs and OS itself... Changing the settings on the fly is not so easy...

Quote:
microgolded reports a "can't delete file Amikit:s/startup-sequence" when i want to save a changed startup-sequence. But the settings are still saved.
yes, it happens to me as well. This is due to NTFS partition where your AmiKit is installed. This message doesn't appear under FAT32 or .hdf
Again, this behaviour is related to WinUAE and its amiga disk emulation and/or Windows NTFS...

Old 30 November 2005, 16:19   #39
glwxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody57
My findings are the response of the two players eagle & hippo player. This area compared to a real even basic A600 running the same modules is VERY POOR
what do you mean by VERY POOR? The quality of sound or the mods are not played correctly? Please be more specific.

In general, you need a fast PC for playing the mods, in addition enable 100% accurate emulation of sound in WinUAE settings...

Old 30 November 2005, 20:29   #40
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
what source of system files have you used? When does the crash appear exactly? btw. maybe it's something WinUAE related and not AmiKit...

generally, this is the problem of VisualPrefs and OS itself... Changing the settings on the fly is not so easy...

yes, it happens to me as well. This is due to NTFS partition where your AmiKit is installed. This message doesn't appear under FAT32 or .hdf
Again, this behaviour is related to WinUAE and its amiga disk emulation and/or Windows NTFS...
The crashes are randomly, most when i try to change & save settings. Or when i copy files with DirOpus 4. But it maybe crashed in other actions, i can't remember. I will try to copy my Amikit package to a .hdf, maybe it works more stable. Thanks for the hints.
AdSense AdSense