English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 November 2005, 22:11   #1
glwxxx

Arrow AmiKit has been released!

To be brief, AmiKit is all you need if you want to experience a high-end Classic Amiga system on your PC. AmiKit turns the default AmigaOS installation into a completely renewed and fresh environment. More than 20.000 files are included and pre-configured for immediate use!

AmiKit is available at http://amikit.amiga.sk

Exclusive features of AmiKit:

- Directory Opus Magellan II used a Workbench replacement!!!
- Special versions of AmiStart, GlobalTrash, ReqChange, ShowAmiga96 and FullPalette!

Major features:

- User-friendly interface that helps you to manage all your files in an easy way!
- Internet browsing, mailing, chatting and downloading using various programs like AWeb, IBrowse, YAM, SimpleMail, AmIRC, AmiTradeCenter, AmiGift...
- Reading PDF, M$Word, RTF and other document formats with the help of APDF, EvenMore, Antiword...
- Manage your time and account with the help of Daywatch and HomeBank.
- Music software, net streaming, MP3 creating and sample editing software like AmigaAMP, AmiNetRadio, EaglePlayer, SymphoniePlayer, LAME, TheMPegEncGUI, SampleEditor...
- Displaying (even in thumbnails) and editing pictures with the help of PicShow, Thumb, MysticView, FroggerNG, PerfectPaint... Or enjoy the fractal world through ZoneXplorer!
- Easy handling of archives. They are opened like every other drawer. Or some external programs could be used instead (VooDoo-X, MUIUnArc, XPKatana)...
- Massive FTP support through OpusFTP module. It has a full GUI for the Address Book and operational parameters.
- Software for burning and copying the CDs (MakeCD), for mounting virtual CDs (VirtualCD).
- You can make your AmiKit password protected. Just don't forget your password ;-)
- Pre-configured recognition and processing of many file formats (through the DOpus filetypes)...
- Various system tools like SysInspector, SnoopDos, Q-Device, ShowPatches...
- Antivirus software effectively checks the system files, memory and archives for viruses.
- Emulation software like ASp for retro ZX gaming...
- Great taskbar software: AmiStart (for those who do not like the taskbars on Amiga, simply remove AmiStart from WBStartup. Easy!)
- Most advanced Amiga "recycle bin" software: GlobalTrash.
- Visual enchancers and system enchancers like VisualPrefs, Birdie, TitleShadow, BoingBall, MagicMenu, MCP...
- Warp3D compatibility thanks to QuarkTex software...
- Yes, some games are included as well ;-)
...and much more!

AmiKit is available at http://amikit.amiga.sk

AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 November 2005, 22:36   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

That sounds interessting, but no PNG Icon support? So i have to wait for Amiga SYS 3.
Old 26 November 2005, 23:23   #3
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Just installed it, the install went smooth but the system hangs on bootup..just after the Amikit logo apears..the little ikon in the left corners spins aprox one turn and then...FREEZE!
Old 27 November 2005, 00:00   #4
PeterK

Hi AMIGAZ !

Two things you could try to fix it from Windows:

1.) Move AmiStart out of the WbStartup drawer,

2.) Edit the startup-sequence and comment the line with Birdie out with ";".
Old 27 November 2005, 06:54   #5
RetroMan

Nice try, but I keep it with AmigaSys ! It´s more advanced and as far as I can tell nearly bug-free
Old 27 November 2005, 15:36   #6
glwxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
That sounds interessting, but no PNG Icon support? So i have to wait for Amiga SYS 3.
simply comment out LoadDB in startup-sequence, enable LoadWB instead together with PowerIcons patch and that's it man, you have PNG icon support! Easy, isn't it?

Old 27 November 2005, 15:38   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwxxx
simply comment out LoadDB in startup-sequence, enable LoadWB instead together with PowerIcons patch and that's it man, you have PNG icon support! Easy, isn't it?
nice hint, i will try that.
Old 27 November 2005, 15:39   #8
glwxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
Nice try, but I keep it with AmigaSys !
That's what your nickname said already... just kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
Itīs more advanced and as far as I can tell nearly bug-free
I would really appreciate any bugreport regarding AmiKit, have you even tired it?

Old 27 November 2005, 15:42   #9
glwxxx

Quote:
nice hint, i will try that.
the only drawback is that classic Workbench is run instead of DirOpus. DirOpusMagellan is quite well integrated with AmiKit. To say the truth, I do not remember if I tried AmiKit without it...

Old 27 November 2005, 15:46   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
the only drawback is that classic Workbench is run instead of DirOpus. DirOpusMagellan is quite well integrated with AmiKit. To say the truth, I do not remember if I tried AmiKit without it...
Why you don't have integrated a upgrade option to Amiga OS 3.9?
Old 27 November 2005, 15:53   #11
glwxxx

Quote:
Why you don't have integrated a upgrade option to Amiga OS 3.9?
What you mean exactly? AmigaOS3.9 is the most suitable OS for AmiKit, WB3.1 is not supported, come on it's year of 2005! (however you can still use AmigaOS3.5 CD...)

Old 27 November 2005, 16:05   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
What you mean exactly? AmigaOS3.9 is the most suitable OS for AmiKit, WB3.1 is not supported, come on it's year of 2005! (however you can still use AmigaOS3.5 CD...)
uups sorry, of course. I missunderstood you for "Classic WB". I have no freezes at the booting, will try a deeper check. A compliment for the easy install, so the most people can use it without trouble.
Old 27 November 2005, 16:19   #13
Bloodwych

It looks gorgeous but unfortunately I don't have Workbench 3.9/3.5 to try it out and offer opinions.

I've never had the opportunity to try out a dopus workbench and it would be interesting to find out how it differs from the Scalos/Classic system I'm used to using in the ClassicWB packs.

You've spent a long time developing this before its official release so I expect it works as well as it looks. I've offered many opinions and advice towards AmigaSYS 3.1 and hope others will help you out with this exclusive 3.9 offering. Each package is so uniquely different and I think across the range there is something for everyone's tastes.

Well done and thanks for your hard work.
Old 27 November 2005, 19:23   #14
glwxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ
Just installed it, the install went smooth but the system hangs on bootup..just after the Amikit logo apears..the little ikon in the left corners spins aprox one turn and then...FREEZE!
Does the blue arrow freezes only or the whole AmiKit?
Try to reboot your AmiKit... does it freeze everytime you boot? If yes, try to use "AmiKit/S/Startup-Sequence.SAFEMODE" as a regular Startup-Sequence. Most of the patches will be disabled...

Old 27 November 2005, 19:34   #15
glwxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Well done and thanks for your hard work.
Thank you Bloodwych! Don't you want to buy some OS3.9 or AF2005? I would be really interested to hear your AmiKit related suggestions!

Old 27 November 2005, 19:43   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Thank you Bloodwych! Don't you want to buy some OS3.9 or AF2005? I would be really interested to hear your AmiKit related suggestions!
nice work glwxxx,

the bootup without Opus works fine. Now i'm testing the png-icon patch. btw: a tool like window to front would be comfortable.
Old 27 November 2005, 19:50   #17
glwxxx

Quote:
nice work glwxxx, a tool like window to front would be comfortable.
Try middle mouse button

btw. why not check the Tips&Tricks page?

Old 27 November 2005, 19:55   #18
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Try middle mouse button

btw. why not check the Tips&Tricks page?
maybe to lazy today, but the png icons patch work fine. Thanks a lot for this awesome package.
Old 27 November 2005, 19:57   #19
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Does the blue arrow freezes only or the whole AmiKit?
Try to reboot your AmiKit... does it freeze everytime you boot? If yes, try to use "AmiKit/S/Startup-Sequence.SAFEMODE" as a regular Startup-Sequence. Most of the patches will be disabled...
Whole Amikit freezes and sometimes a reboot helps and sometimes it doesn't want to boot at all
Old 27 November 2005, 20:06   #20
glwxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ
Whole Amikit freezes and sometimes a reboot helps and sometimes it doesn't want to boot at all
ok Amigaz,
  1. what hardware do you have?
  2. what source of OS have you used?
  3. does the SAFEMODE work for you all the time?
  4. if not, rename WBStartup drawer as well and try again.
  5. in normal startup-sequence, try to disable ShowAmiga96, so you can see what is happening behind the picture during the boot process. Like it is written in website, IPrefs might crash sometimes. In that case, try to increase the value of WAIT commands before and after the IPrefs in startup-sequence. (eg. C:Wait 3)
  6. ehm, no more ideas... try to use the AmiKit forum

AdSense AdSense