English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 May 2006, 16:49   #61
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farley
This looks cool, I had a go at doing a Xenon remake a while back using 3D models instead of sprites, started to look quite good. Like so many things though, it just ended up taking a back seat... keep up the good work though, looking promising.
I cant stand 3D modeling in 2D games. It always looks cheap and plain... nothing beats hand drawn graphics!... Just my opinion
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 July 2006, 15:32   #62
DrewPee

Any more news on Xenon III ?

Hello there,
Just a small note - is there any beta versions of Xenon III ready?
I would love to be a beta tester . . . loved Xenon II on the amiga! most of the bitmap games were ace though!
A 35 year old emulation / retro / old school nutter!!!
Andy

Old 08 July 2006, 15:51   #63
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewPee
Hello there,
Just a small note - is there any beta versions of Xenon III ready?
I would love to be a beta tester . . . loved Xenon II on the amiga! most of the bitmap games were ace though!
A 35 year old emulation / retro / old school nutter!!!
Andy
and you only just found your way to eab

Anyway welcome aboard hope to see you active and no there is no beta available as yet (unless daphyd has one we don't know about)
Old 08 July 2006, 21:26   #64
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker
Eep! Hope you get it sorted!

Speaking of the Bitmap Bros, what's happened to them?? It seems to me that after Eric Matthews became less involved (after Chaos Engine 1) they got pretty shit (never played Z though). Speedball 2000 was an AWFUL remake of the original.
After Chaos Engine, Dan Malone (gfx) left. After that Chaos Engine 2, without him, looked as good as Bitmap Brothers games before him - Xenon, Speedball (partly) - like crap. Dan wanted a carrer in comics, and ended up in computers, his style was akin to Simon Bisley and Glenn Fabry on the 2000ad UK mag - he says so much in an ol interview. If you notice both Simon and Glenn ended up doing covers for the Bitmap Brothers.

That guy was the responsible for the much legendary Bitmap Brother's metallic look. I even suspect a couple of games where the GFX credits were given to Mark Malone, are, well... hmm... not particularly reality based, let's call it that.

After Dan was gone the Bitmap Brothers games ended up looking as average as they did before his arrival (aldthough i'm pretty sure that wasn't the only reason for their meteoric downfall).

Quote:
On their site there hasn't been a news update since 2002 and they haven't responded to emails. What was this WWII: Frontline Command mentioned on their site? Was it any good?
All their projects were cancelled and to be fully honest, the Bitmap Brothers are dead. Even some GBA ports never got released. It's probably all over for some time now. It's probably for the better, since by continously releasing shite they were merely beschmirching their own legacy.
Old 10 July 2006, 00:25   #65
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
All their projects were cancelled and to be fully honest, the Bitmap Brothers are dead. Even some GBA ports never got released. It's probably all over for some time now. It's probably for the better, since by continously releasing shite they were merely beschmirching their own legacy.
Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure that that WWII game got released, though didn't it? Not sure who was involved in it though. Anyways, I actually got around to playing Z2 and it was actually pretty good!

I'd love to know where Eric Matthews went. His genius seemed to be apparent in all the best Bitmap games, namely, Speedball II, Gods and Chaos Engine. You're right that it's probably for the best that the Bitmaps stopped rehashing their old games though, I'm sure they were doing much more damage than good. Even their "far reaching" sequel to Speedball II, Speedball Arena, looked like shit!
Old 17 August 2006, 18:40   #66
Retro1234

It would be so cool if this was an Amiga Port

I can Dream
Old 31 May 2007, 11:43   #67
starlord
Zone Friend

Sorry to post in this old thread but is this project still on or has it been cancelled? (Let it still be on, please....)

cheers.
Old 31 May 2007, 16:15   #68
DamienD
Global Moderator

Another project that I forgot about to be added tonight
Old 09 September 2009, 19:26   #69
Marcuz
Wurk???

i stumbled on this thread i had forgot about... i was just wondering if there were ever any news
Old 12 April 2011, 01:53   #70
takis76

Hi , I just looked this and as I am good fun of Xenon and Tyrian like vertical shot em up games , I was working one this , and this will be my next project after I will finsish my Eye of the Beholder 4 engine.

If you are interesting I have a complete level 1 demo test in this shot em up game.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z2z1ab

I don't have a name of this game yet , I just name it as space or Xenon or Tyrian like shot em up game.

Tell me if you like it...

The game been created with Game Maker 8.

Last edited by takis76; 12 April 2011 at 02:44.
AdSense AdSense