English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 October 2001, 03:22   #1
DPainter

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Do you also have the sickness?

Here are the symptoms of a disease I am sure afflicts many of us here:

1) Bloating: Your hard drives contain several gigabytes of DMS and ADF files, 99.9% of which you will never unpack and load, much less play! You are especially keen on thinking about those disks not recognized by the latest TOSEC dats.

2) Thirst: You still want more and more. You don't care that the ones you might not have are surely crap (Chronicles of Omega) but that doesn't stop you: YOU MUST HAVE THEM ALL.

3) Fevers and hallucinations: You think strange thoughts. Somehow you really believe there is a connection between your Amiga, Gary Coleman and the Brady kids. In other words, you find nothing odd about the images posted by Frederic (Fredthegreat).

Feel free to tell me your story. When did you realize you had the disease? Was it when you found yourself giddy to discover that Skyfox now works under the latest WinUAE? I realized it when I physically removed the hard drive from my machine at work, took it home, and installed it on my home computer so I could copy all the 1000's of ADFs I downloaded.

Dpainter
AdSense AdSense  
Old 31 October 2001, 03:45   #2
Amigaboy

I don't have the sickness as much as I used to

Once upon a time, I experienced bloating but not anymore

There was once a time when I experienced thirst. Not anymore

btw - There IS a connection between Amiga, Gary Coleman and the Brady's! I'll just leave it up to you to figure it out (and once you do, tell me what it is )

Old 31 October 2001, 07:55   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I'm down with the sickness...
Old 31 October 2001, 08:35   #4
Drake1009

I think I have it too I'm afraid. Is there a cure? (Buy a bigger harddisk only seems to postpone the problem)
Old 31 October 2001, 09:46   #5
RetroMan

The Problem gets even bigger, when your one or more real Amigas all have HDs and all of em are full of adfs just to mount them virtually or write back to good ol disks ....
Old 31 October 2001, 11:53   #6
Paul
RIP Friends

I'm coming down with the sickness

So far I have 213 ADF files which takes up 186 MB and 265 MB of other Emulator files.
Old 31 October 2001, 12:24   #7
CHiEF
Captain

Eek

heh... my solution is to burn all the adf's on to a cd or other removable storage media.
Old 31 October 2001, 14:10   #8
Big-Byte
Long time member

Im terminally ill!!

Every day I bring my zip drive into work along with 8 zip disks..
I feel terrible when I dont fill them up completely...

Its even got to the stage where I visit more and more obscure (usually chinsese) websites clicking on links that say $%^&**((* etc.. in the hope that they will take me to a roms/adf oasis! (sometimes if I stare at the links long enough Im sure I can make out the work "ROM" amongst all the squiggles..

I admit I download everything anywhere.. If I add a link to gozilla and it says 'add as mirror' or 'save as different name' rename I always save as different name in the hope that the golden nugget in the zip file *may* be different!

Tonight I shall drink my self silly in a sea of adfs as I have received 15!! cds from Methanoid..

there is no cure.....
Old 31 October 2001, 14:23   #9
CHiEF
Captain

Wink

get that man a wheelchair!
Old 31 October 2001, 14:31   #10
oldpx

hmm since I have about 7500 adfs, and some are zipped, and some are not, and some work, and some do not, and some are duplicates, and some are not, I may be considered quite sickly.

Did I mention the Amiga archive of Pe2000.net fits on 5cds?
Well, it does

Old 31 October 2001, 15:15   #11
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Did I mention the Amiga archive of Pe2000.net fits on 5cds?
Well, it does
I know

Dreamzone fits on 4

Old 31 October 2001, 15:51   #12
Big-Byte
Long time member

Dreamzone?

Are the files there different to the ones at pe2000?
Link please?

May I also be the first to wish everyone a Merry
(I saw the first proper xmas advert complete with xmas music on tv last night)

I also know what one of my presents is.. It looks like a N64 joypad but plugs straight into your telly and has 108 games built in (Graphics look better than NES but worse than megadrive..) and has such games as Donkey Kong, Contra, Gradius and Duckshoot on it

Anyone else seen it?
Old 31 October 2001, 16:00   #13
Amigaboy

Re: Dreamzone?

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-Byte
Are the files there different to the ones at pe2000?
Link please?

May I also be the first to wish everyone a Merry
(I saw the first proper xmas advert complete with xmas music on tv last night)

I also know what one of my presents is.. It looks like a N64 joypad but plugs straight into your telly and has 108 games built in (Graphics look better than NES but worse than megadrive..) and has such games as Donkey Kong, Contra, Gradius and Duckshoot on it

Anyone else seen it?
yes. The Dreamzone does have different files than PE2000 but I have no idea if it's still up. The mirrors that I know of have been taken down. Anyone know a working link?

I know that N64 looking thingy. They sell it at the markets for $60AUS (about 20pounds). I always looked at it and wondered what it's specs were. I always thought it was just like an Atari, but a week ago I actually picked one up and looked to see a cartridge that looks strikingly like a Famicom cartridge. So, I think it can *POSSIBLY* use them

Old 31 October 2001, 16:11   #14
Big-Byte
Long time member

The one I saw...

Didnt have anywhere for a cartridge to plug in.. The thing is one moulded lump of plastic.. You do get a light gun with it though (which was basically a smaller looking n64 controller)

and they were 30.

I overheard the woman saying that they were on the internet so Im gonna start hunting!!
Old 31 October 2001, 16:24   #15
Amigaboy

Re: The one I saw...

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-Byte
Didnt have anywhere for a cartridge to plug in.. The thing is one moulded lump of plastic.. You do get a light gun with it though (which was basically a smaller looking n64 controller)

and they were 30.

I overheard the woman saying that they were on the internet so Im gonna start hunting!!
Looks like you have one that's similar, but not the same as the one I saw

Old 31 October 2001, 18:29   #16
Akira

Yep, dreamzone fits in 4 cDs :P I am not quite sick anymore, not with this sickness. Now I suffer a greater sickness: buying the actual games from eBay, and other old computer nonsense. Lemme tell you my pocket preffers the previous disease

The N64 pad thing... It's a Famicom clone, pal. The ones I saw do have a cartridge slot in case you get bored of the 20 games in them (yeah yeah, 180 my bollocks. they copy the same game many times and give it different names )

If it has a cartridge slot I'd say it's worth a buy. I just found another strange Famicom clone. Check it out:

B&W TV + AM/FM Tuner + Famicom :P Isn't it strange??

Last edited by Akira; 01 November 2001 at 19:52.
Old 01 November 2001, 01:43   #17
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

I have the sickness

I did do a detailed list, but deleted it when I realised it would be dwarfed by some of those who are really afflicted with this disease

Anyway my emu collection is currently 3.44 gb in size, but it's getting bigger almost everyday
Old 01 November 2001, 02:05   #18
birdy-scc
Banned

I've managed to gather in about 10Gb of emulator zips. Most have been sorted and any others I get now only if the whole set is available.

It's not quite the same sickness as I once had, but it's still there - kind of like malaria!

edit: I realised I answered two threads here. confusion. excellent.
Old 01 November 2001, 19:50   #19
Akira

Exclamation Somebody stop me!

I think it's the thrill of having now what I didn't have back then (call it trauma ), but I've been buying quite a few Amiga games off eBay lately. They are quite cheap, so that's better, but it seems I am not able to stop!

There's nothing like having them gaems boxed, with instructions, and all their cute paraphernalia. It's time to buy shelves to store them in :P Back then they were just a copied floppy disk, nothing else. This is much better

Careful: this evolutioned stage of The Sickness will create a financial hole in your budget
Old 01 November 2001, 20:03   #20
Drake1009

Yes there's something fulfilling about owning the game in a box. I haven't bought many Amiga games since I can't really shop online (Don't have a credit card and not really sure how Ebay works). But I have quite a collection of PC games, most of them being games I've had as a copy first and then decided to buy afterwards when I found it was a good game. (Still in shock that Megaman X4 actually showed up on shelves here, whoo hoo a good game)
AdSense AdSense