English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 November 2005, 20:09   #21
well, if you go into PSX, be sure to try Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night, Castlevania: Legends, and Sony's TOMBA 1...
when I remember more, I'll post 'em!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 November 2005, 20:20   #22
Super Hang-On King
Castlevania and Tomba were class, Remember those, Loved the Oddworld games too, Bit off topic but if you're into shoot'em up's be sure to check out Einhander from Square if you've not heard of it - The best by far on the PSX IMHO
Old 16 November 2005, 14:15   #23
Zone Friend
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by weasel_ch
How about the Abe's Odessy series ? Not cutesy, but definitely good old 2D platform.

Give old Abe his due, even if the game owed a lot to the likes of Flashback, Prince of Persia etc. (& one of the rare 2D sucesses on PS1). Note that only the first two games in the series were 2D though.
Though I haven't played it personally the platform games talk bringing to mind some of Delphine's hits reminded me of the long-delayed "Heart of Darkness".
Though not mentioned in the article, I recall The One mentioning in its news items once of it possibly appearing on the Amiga-one for the GTW files methinks.
Got a mixed reception when it did eventually appear though

Not all platformers instantly translate into bad in 3D though-Maximo, a 3D remake of Ghost'n'Goblins by Capcom nicely captured the "spirit" of the original-no pun intended-on the PS2.
Old 16 November 2005, 14:26   #24
yep, both maximo's rule on ps2...
Old 16 November 2005, 23:04   #25
Originally Posted by wanderer
galu: Aaargh, handheld consoles, crappy controllers, tiny screen. Definitively not for the 'explory' type platformers... The PS2 / Gamecube games look great, and probably play great too, but I really don't want to risk entering the console area 'cause I'll get sucked into never-ending gaming again, and I don't have the time for that anymore...
I do not agree about crappy controllers and tiny screens. IMHO handhelds are the best hardware for 2D platform games. But if you're not going to buy one, you may try some excellent stuff on your PC using GBA emulator:
"Cute": Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (SNES conversion), Go! Go! Beckham!, Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament, Maya The Bee Great Adventure, Densetsu no Stafy (these are my favourites but there are hundereds of other nice 2D jump&run games for GBA)
Heavy exploration: Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

And you should know that nowadays PC is definitely not a platform for 2D platform games - and, in fact, it never was. But it is a great platform for emulation
And you still can find a lot of great, new 2D games on current handheld systems (Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable - http://www.playstation.jp/scej/title/locoroco/ - AWESOME!) and even some high quality stuff for mobile phones (http://tinyurl.com/74bap).
Old 17 November 2005, 14:15   #26
Zone Friend
Originally Posted by keropi
yep, both maximo's rule on ps2...
I thought the sequel was okay,but eventually grew weary of the "combo attack" system ala Tekken to build up attack bar-it was a nice game already & didn't need it,but suppose it would've been attacked for being too samey if they hadn't done it so catch 22 really,shame though.

Also owned Lomax for a time-a nice enough game at the time-reminded me a little of GNG probably due to the coffin rising baddie lemmings. The use of the lemming characters was a tad gimmicky but it was pitched at the younger gamer than the resident-evil crowd anyway.
Old 18 November 2005, 09:52   #27

Good freeware platformers:

Cadog Adventures

Doukutsu Monogatari (Cave story) - with rpg elements (statistic etc)

Glace (not great but nice)

Pekka Kanna 2 - also very good for me.

Akuji the Demon - good, in Castlevania style

You can try also: Neko, Modarchive Story, Mario clones (Mario Forever is good), Sonic clones, Turrican clones (T2002, T4 Funeral), Mr Stumps Dentures and many many more.

Seiklus is also a little gem. Arcade adventure - Mario meets Another World .

Fishead series looks fine but I didn't try this one.

There is a lot of good platformers on Snes. Sega Megadrive and PSX.

Greetings and sorry for my english.
Old 21 November 2005, 00:27   #28
I want an A1000

After my little venture into the modern platformer world, I see that adventure elements are added, lots of keys to press, etc. No way to find a simple, 'brainless' commercial platformer today I guess. Abe's Odyssey is great, Captain Claw seems good, still not tried it out, I'll try to locate Pitfall, The Mayan Adventure...
Old 26 November 2005, 01:57   #29
Zone Friend
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbo2Xs
Originally Posted by Muzkat
Cave Story ~ Doukutsu Monogatari

One of the best platformers I have ever played, all in a small file, and totally free. Pure class.

I had a lot of fun playing this little gem - twice (Still haven't got the secret "Hell" stage, so the third play is assured! In fact, I host the patched/translated file on my own site for simplicity.

As was said: Reminded me why I love games.

The PS Dual Shock pad is perfect for this game - keyboard only? Ugh!
Old 04 December 2005, 13:29   #30
Zone Friend
Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
andreas - are you talking about Tales From Heaven?
No, about a PC game!
Legal, as the original poster did not exclude PC games.

PC 3D adventure platform game. EIDOS or UBI Soft, maybe only issued in Germany? But I do not think so.
The character looks like a mix of the Ruff 'n Tumble character, Rick Dangerous and the little wizard in Sorceror's Apprentice.

Damn, someone must know what I was thinking about.
AdSense AdSense