English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 January 2006, 00:41   #21
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
Well I still don't follow, there are a lot of crazy things with this release imho:

1. The readme implies Galahad did not make the slideshow, I don't understand why anyone would write a different name on it unless they were completely embarrassed by their work. Quoting Galahad at the bottom, or is that trying to be tricky and make out it wasn't him?

2. This bit in the readme: "since I've deleted all sources (Length of Main-Source without any includes: 159.277 Bytes) a few seconds ago, because Zoltrix told me a few days ago, that the slideshow project has been cancelled and I'm kinda angry about that."

Somebody says a project is cancelled so you go and delete all sources? How f*cking stupid can you get? That's like having a full unreleased game on your computer (and the only copy in existance) and deciding to just delete it! Rocks in the head material...

Overall a very strange release... The pics were very good at least!
1. Easy to explain, I used 2 different handles back in the day. One for illegal stuff and one for the legal things. And I didn't join Faction as a democoder actually so I simply had to use the sTYLe handle. Stupid? Of course!

2. As already said, I was totally fed up with the whole slideshow project back then that's why I deleted all sources. If you would've been in Faction at that time you would surely understand me better.
There weren't any great routines lost anyway since I didn't use any advanced stuff at all.
Old 08 January 2006, 00:49   #22
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
How different is the Galahad version to the Style one? Very odd that the Style version mentions problems with a particular effect and it sounds like it's an identical problem to an effect in Galahad's! How can that be? Are the pictures identical in both versions?
I did NOT mention any problems with any effect in my version! I only wrote that some parts are missing/imcomplete like the language selector screen at the beginning for example. So I really wonder which effect you are referring to here.
Old 08 January 2006, 01:16   #23
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
I didn't release the source code to anyone. Someone else in Faction did their attempts just to prove if they could do anything, but all they came up with was a couple of fades because they didn't know how to support AGA pictures without some sort of IFF viewer!!!
Errm, sorry but this just sounds a bit too arrogant to me... Obviously you never checked my version else you would not write such stuff... Actually, I started coding the slide from scratch after I saw YOUR version which was kinda buggy and only featured like 3 or 4 different wipes... Feel free to check my version BEFORE posting such crap (sorry!) again... I coded my first AGA wipe in January 1993, I don't think I need the help of some crappy iff viewer...
If I have misunderstood you then I am sorry, I don't wanna start a flamewar here.

Quote:
Quite simple really. Compare the code in mine to theirs, I don't think for one second it will be remotely similar.
I don't think so either...
Old 08 January 2006, 05:05   #24
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
I did NOT mention any problems with any effect in my version! I only wrote that some parts are missing/imcomplete like the language selector screen at the beginning for example. So I really wonder which effect you are referring to here.
There's one effect where the picture appears from the top of the screen going downwards, one vertical line at a time on some kind of sine wave. It takes ages and ages on WinUAE, at least 30 seconds or so!

Back when I assumed your version was Galahads and vice versa, I though that effect was the one Galahad mentioned that had problems in WinUAE. Note that I haven't seen Galahad's version, only your one.
Old 08 January 2006, 11:23   #25
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalai
I missed this, can someone please re-up it to the Zone?
It's zoned again...
Old 08 January 2006, 12:04   #26
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
Errm, sorry but this just sounds a bit too arrogant to me... Obviously you never checked my version else you would not write such stuff... Actually, I started coding the slide from scratch after I saw YOUR version which was kinda buggy and only featured like 3 or 4 different wipes... Feel free to check my version BEFORE posting such crap (sorry!) again... I coded my first AGA wipe in January 1993, I don't think I need the help of some crappy iff viewer...
If I have misunderstood you then I am sorry, I don't wanna start a flamewar here.

I don't think so either...
At no time did I see any of your work, by then I had quit Amiga as I had too much work. In fact I didn't come back to Amiga until 2000/2001 when I discovered WHDLoad.

And I wasn't refering to your work either. I cannot for the life of me remember what his name was but he was a british guy, and he did a couple of pictures but no more than that, only reason I remember is cos he did some ideas at the same time I started.
Old 08 January 2006, 12:30   #27
BippyM
Global Moderator

It seems to me that you both worked on a similar project..

Could you both have been asked to do the programming by the group and the better one released maybe??
Old 08 January 2006, 15:03   #28
Dalai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom
It's zoned again...
Thanks jrom.
Old 09 January 2006, 00:47   #29
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
At no time did I see any of your work, by then I had quit Amiga as I had too much work. In fact I didn't come back to Amiga until 2000/2001 when I discovered WHDLoad.

And I wasn't refering to your work either. I cannot for the life of me remember what his name was but he was a british guy, and he did a couple of pictures but no more than that, only reason I remember is cos he did some ideas at the same time I started.
Ok, then I misunderstood you! Sorry for that!
Old 09 January 2006, 00:57   #30
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
It seems to me that you both worked on a similar project..

Could you both have been asked to do the programming by the group and the better one released maybe??
Yes, we both worked on that project. When I joined Faction, Wade told me about the slideshow project and gave me one of Galahad's early previews to have a look at. Well, I didn't really like it that much (sorry Galahad ;D) and so I started to do my own version. Zoltrix and especially Wade were happy about that since they thought Galahad would not finish the slide anyway because he had some real life trouble back then (if I remember correctly).
Old 09 January 2006, 01:13   #31
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
There's one effect where the picture appears from the top of the screen going downwards, one vertical line at a time on some kind of sine wave. It takes ages and ages on WinUAE, at least 30 seconds or so!
Hmm, that's strange, I just checked it here (UAE v1.1.1) and that very
effect works without any problems. There are some glitches and stuff with some other effects (nothing serious though) but I don't have any
slowdowns here.
Anyway, kinda weird to see this thing again after more than 5 years.
Old 09 January 2006, 01:17   #32
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Update: I checked it again with 'Cycle exact CPU and Blitter' switched on and I got the same slowdown Codetapper already mentioned. Weird... So just disable cycle exact emulation to see the effect how it was supposed to look like. Some others will not work correctly w/o cycle exact emulation though. Conclusion: Watch it on a REAL Amiga.