English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 November 2005, 11:39   #41
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Brilliant idea. Now I can get to see more of all those games I was hopeless at. There were tonnes of them for the Amiga - ones which were highly rated, but ridiculously difficult. Project-X springs to mind in particular. I'd love to see a recording of that one.

I refuse to download anything in the awful WMV format so have only tried the Xvid ones. They tend to freeze in VLC if you expand the window, and crash the player completely for no apparent reason at other times.

Still a great project though, keep up the good work.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 November 2005, 12:08   #42
Ironclaw
Banned

The wmv format is as good as any other format, if not better as it offer great quality and low file sizes. Wmv has never ever crashed for me, and I have never used VLC. I only use Media Player Classic.

Thanks to the new H264 codec which is built for games, we no longer use wmv, otherwise we still would.

Last edited by Ironclaw; 05 November 2005 at 12:36.
Old 05 November 2005, 12:29   #43
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
we talk about no cheats like i did for Jim power ^^
Have not seen your Jim Power recording yet, but good luck with SOTB.
Did you know this game is ranked "the hardest game to complete" ever?
Old 05 November 2005, 12:54   #44
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
For beast i happened to go to the castle and die inside ^^
Old 05 November 2005, 12:57   #45
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

PS : if you want to see one of my video, check in the zone the mission 8 phase 2-4
of cannon fodder ^^, you'll see how to blast this very hard phase^^
Old 05 November 2005, 17:59   #46
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
BTW : i have fully recorded Jim power with no cheats, all 5 levels plus bosses with
some lifes loss, but really neat one with end sequence included, all weight 1,2 gb !!!

and i have put down the encoding rate (2,5mo / sec)

so, when will you submit the Jim Power recording? If it's 1.2gb, just compress and send..
Old 05 November 2005, 20:31   #47
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios
Have not seen your Jim Power recording yet, but good luck with SOTB.
Did you know this game is ranked "the hardest game to complete" ever?
I did finish it once... with cheats. SOTB2 on the other hand is even with cheats almost impossible...
Old 05 November 2005, 21:19   #48
Ironclaw
Banned

I have finished all 3 SOTB, but with cheats, I liked SOTB 3 the most.
Old 06 November 2005, 13:31   #49
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

well Ironclaw, i have 2 problems, the videos size, and my upload bandwith. This last
one is way too thin to upload so huge file without any problem, i'm just thinking about
a solution : you let me upload each movie level in cutted parts, and at the end you join them all together. Let me know if you agree ^^
Old 06 November 2005, 13:48   #50
Ironclaw
Banned

Agree .
Old 06 November 2005, 18:37   #51
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

ok then i will split them apart ^^
Old 08 November 2005, 21:38   #52
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
The wmv format is as good as any other format, if not better as it offer great quality and low file sizes. Wmv has never ever crashed for me, and I have never used VLC. I only use Media Player Classic.
Nooo, you've got the wrong end of the stick. It was the Xvid ones that were throwing a wobbler when I tried maximizing them.

I agree that the WMV format has small file sizes in its favour, but not a lot else. Quality is sacrificed and that's why WMV tends to only be used for short, funny movie clips that people throw away once they've watched them.

That aside, it's yet another of Microsoft's totally unnecessary proprietary formats. Because it's tied to Windows and Media Player it lacks cross-platform compatibility. You shouldn't have to install a separate movie player for a single format. This is why VLC is so great - it will play almost everything you throw at it out of the box. Compare that to Media Player where you have to faff about finding out which codec you need to install to play back each file type it hasn't encountered before. It attempts to do this automatically, but fails more often than not.
Old 08 November 2005, 22:17   #53
Ironclaw
Banned

I only use media player classic.. and i can play all kinds of formats.... have not used any other player ever, since i started using it... so dont know where you get "You shouldn't have to install a separate movie player for a single format." ??... i can play all formats with it... maybe not realplayer....

media player classic works for me and rules... dont need anything else... and wmv is always talked bad about....but it has good quality to my experience...

and im NOT talking about windows media player.. that comes with xp for ex..... i talk about the classic version... i can play everything, as long as i have the codec.. which i have.... if other people have problems with that player and trouble viewing certain formats and stuff... they are noobs.
Old 09 November 2005, 01:25   #54
Npl

Quote:
media player classic works for me and rules... dont need anything else... and wmv is always talked bad about....but it has good quality to my experience...
The Point is that is has nothing over alternatives, unlike WMV most of them comply to industry-standards (Mpeg4) and some are even are opensourced (XVid). So they are more compatible with other OSes and standalone Decoders, let alone the insane amount of Editing-Applications that can deal with AVI, but not WMV.
If WMV would have greatly improved quality it may be worth considering, but that aint the case - its comparable, but not better. http://www.doom9.org/codecs-104-1.htm shows one very indepth comparison
Old 10 November 2005, 02:57   #55
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Quote:
... i can play all formats with it... maybe not realplayer....
You sure can play realplayer files in it, quicktime too (google RealPlayer Alternative and Quicktime Alternative respectively, they should be the ones at the top of the list)

Basically I play ALL my video through Media Player Classic and all my audio through Winamp and I've never had a single crash/lockup (well that's possibly a lie, but its pretty stable all the same )
Old 10 November 2005, 03:16   #56
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete
You sure can play realplayer files in it, quicktime too (google RealPlayer Alternative and Quicktime Alternative respectively, they should be the ones at the top of the list)

Basically I play ALL my video through Media Player Classic and all my audio through Winamp and I've never had a single crash/lockup (well that's possibly a lie, but its pretty stable all the same )
I do the same, all audio with winamp and all video with MP classic.. and don't think it ever have crashed.
Old 10 November 2005, 21:41   #57
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

As Npl said, Windows is not the only fruit. I'm surprised by how hard it's proving to be to make this point on a niche Amiga forum.
Old 13 November 2005, 14:27   #58
Ironclaw
Banned

Back to topic

Come on guys!, please start recording some games . It's so easy, you can do partials if you like, that won't take long, just do one level of a game, doesn't even have to be fast, as long as no one else has posted a recording of the same level faster.

We need movies .

So.... start to record games!

edit
If you want to do a full recording, you can do a little now and a little later... just quicksave and then quickload when you feel like continuing the recoding. It's so easy. If you get several parts, then just join them together in Virtualdub or something so you'll send us one file, or... just send us all the files and we'll join them together (which is our job)

Last edited by Ironclaw; 13 November 2005 at 14:37.
Old 13 November 2005, 15:58   #59
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The recordings are well...erm crap. They are too big.

WinUAE needs the same recording mechanism as ZSnes and other emulators where the recordings are not video but compressed I/O information (with timing). The files are only a few hundred kilobytes and the game emulates live in front of you.

All of these MPEG/AVI/WMV files... pointless waste of bandwidth.
Old 13 November 2005, 17:03   #60
Ironclaw
Banned

Don't think Winuae will ever get that ability, but about the files being big and "All of these MPEG/AVI/WMV files... pointless waste of bandwidth.".. so what?. it's not your bandwidth and there are countless of sites out there with speedruns for snes, nes, xbox, pc, psx etc with files over 1gig.... it's a cool thing to be able to download recorded games.

This site has game recordings that takes over 2gig, I downloaded Contra for Ps2, it took 1.3gig.. wow, awesome game and that guy rules, not a second wasted.
http://speeddemosarchive.com/gamelist/FullList.html

Tons of Nes and other movies here, super known site with insane amount of recordings of every nes game: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/

etc.....

Too bad you don't have the passion for recorded games.
AdSense AdSense