English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 September 2005, 05:41   #1
Runey
Survivor

Should GameBaseAMY be pronounced dead?

As many of you know, GBA took a turn for the worse when I lost all my work due to a breakin and the senseless descruction of my backup DVDs. I decided to take a break and have just come back from a month in Thailand

So I though I better catch up on the latest and what do I see? Lemonade!?!? A frontend for WinUAE. I must admit it looks good, at least from the screenshots.

It does many of the things I wanted to do, but not all. Of course it's a first version so who knows where it will go.

Basically I'm now wondering whether it's worth continuing, or more to the point re-starting, GameBaseAMY? What do people think? Is there room for 2 frontends? GBA promises to be more flexible, thanks to the GameBase universal frontend, but Lemonade definately looks better and of coded especially for WinUAE. Lemonade also has the advantage of being linked directly to on online database (although it is only the LemonAmiga database). Would have been better if it was the HOL database.

Maybe I should scrap GBA for commercial games and do a frontend for PD games, demos, applications or something else.

Anyway all thoughts are welcome. Basically I don't wont to be putting time into a project that no-one will use. I'm seriously thinking of doing a Demo frontend instead.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 September 2005, 11:50   #2
Coder

I think there is Room for 3 or more Frontends. Itīs good to have the choice.

sorry my English is bad
Old 24 September 2005, 15:45   #3
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runey
Anyway all thoughts are welcome. Basically I don't wont to be putting time into a project that no-one will use. I'm seriously thinking of doing a Demo frontend instead.
Considering the lack of a demo db/frontend (at least I don't know of one ), that sounds like a very good idea. I think I've seen it requested somewhere else before too.

So I'd say go for it.
Old 24 September 2005, 17:45   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

Well I think there is plenty of room for a demo frontend and if you want to add WHDLoad support (Demos) then I can help there as I definately have a system that WORKS and is really good yet simple (maybe a couple of the guys who have seen it can give a more non-biased opinion..)

If you're interested then gimme a pm and we can arrange a time to chat on IRC

Last edited by BippyM; 24 September 2005 at 20:09.
Old 26 September 2005, 03:51   #5
Runey
Survivor

Well this is what I have decided to do.

1) Change GameBaseAMY from games to a Demo frontend. I'm keeping the name GameBaseAMY for this project. It probably maked more sense using this name for Demos rather than Games anyway. Since the 'mascot' is Amy the Squirrel from Eric Schwartz fame.
2) Create a new project, probably just called GameBaseAmiga for the games frontend. Suggestions for a new project name are welcome. Maybe one for commercial games and one for PD games?
3) New website called CAFE (Commodore Amiga Front Ends) to house all present and future projects.

Most of my effort will be going into the Demo frontend rather than the games, at least between now and Xmas. However I will keep a limited project running for games, both commercial and public domain. Depending on how the Demo fontend goes, and how 'Lemonade' turns out, I will then switch my attention back to games after Xmas.

I'm still fine tuning the rules but preference will most likely go to these file types in this order. WHDLoad files first, followed by ADF's (where WHDLoad files don't exist) and then executables where ADFs don't exist.
AdSense AdSense