English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 September 2005, 20:53   #1
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Question Hall of Games but what of Aps?

Hello there fellow Amigans,

Okay. it is quite obvious what HOL means to amiga gamers and the general amiga comunity.

Personally I believe it to be a bright star, although forever distant always the most noticed.

However, a lot of us used more than just games on our Amigas, and i have to admit i am at a lost to explain why there is a Huge well maintained gamming database but not an application one ?

any reasons any one know of ?

you know i wonder if companies were able to see people still using thier software 10 years on down the line perhaps they might learn somthing about todays general plflora of trash.

anyways

food for thought

l8rs

Z.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 September 2005, 22:25   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't know, what would you use such a HOL for? I like browsing the game screenshots/game maps just to see what I missed during the real golden age, but applications???
Old 09 September 2005, 01:28   #3
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I don't think many people would care about applications to be honest. My reasons:

1. Most apps are updated many times. Is there any point cataloguing Wordworth v1, v1.1, v1.2, v1.3 etc etc

2. No screenshots are worth looking at for 99% of apps. Seen one word processor, seen 'em all.

3. I don't know many people that would download and install an emulator to run an app! They will for an old game, but apps?

Still, nothing stopping you starting a project to catalogue them...
Old 10 September 2005, 12:50   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

well the point to catalouge them is the point to catalouge in genereal. anyone know how many appplications were released upon the amiga ? (see )

but yeah.... screen shots... see ya point there

as far as emu goes, well yeah another good point but not everyone has just EMU pc's, some lucky few of us (me me me me and me again) have several amiga's and it would be nice to know what kind of real productivity could be achived with a juiced up/ pimped out amiga compared to a factory standarded of various specifications..

but a project.... yesss....now theres a good idea code tapper...

hmmm temptin. may even open a pol for it. .....
Old 15 September 2005, 19:38   #5
cv643d

Screenshots of old apps are interesting to look at.
Old 15 September 2005, 20:42   #6
Insanus

I have a good number of amiga apps downloaded just for collecting them. I think such a database would be a good idea. A lot of work but a good idea.
Old 16 September 2005, 23:17   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Alas, when people say "a lot of work", it usually stays a good idea
Old 22 September 2005, 03:31   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

i am contemplating getting involved, and i mean in a serious way since i have some what of a few apps myself.... hmmm may need some HUGE help with manual and or box scans etc.
Old 22 September 2005, 04:21   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
I don't know many people that would download and install an emulator to run an app! They will for an old game, but apps?
Yes, if they are musicians and like to use Bars & Pipes on the Amiga.
Old 22 September 2005, 04:38   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

ahhhhhh..... bars and pipes.... long looooong time ago. ... that was the first thing that got me into sequencing... then i found Octa-med.... i have 1.7 now for my PC lol nuff said LOL....
Old 22 September 2005, 06:40   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas

Well, my actual point was that there is no need learning about Cubase & friends if you can blindly operate B & P
MIDI emulation is now close to perfection and you can still use your PC on WinUAE running B & P!
Old 23 September 2005, 04:07   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

well this does indeed proove that there is a thriving part of our amiga community emulating for productivity, I have in a large part lately with imagine (since it is soooo intuitive to use compared to lightwave 7 on my PC *mainly modling is easier in imagine)

but yeah.... deffinately food for thought..... be interesting to know if any one else emlulates for amiga productivity ?
Old 23 September 2005, 05:14   #13
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

One other thing you would have to consider if someone did an apps database - the current Amiga low-resolution 320x256 just wouldn't be up to it for most apps screenshots. I can't think of many that don't use at least 640x256 or 640x512. Apps just wouldn't fit easily into the current HOL even if we wanted to...
Old 23 September 2005, 05:30   #14
Galaxy

Screenshots in hol are not actually restricted to 320x256 - you can put larger screenshots in which are scaled for the thumbnail view to 320x256, but if you view the image popup you get the full size. Only exception is the DBS, and since the purpose of this is to give a quick summary image of the program I don't think it is really a problem (no different to games that run in hi-res or interlaced modes).

Quite a number of hol fields are a bit irrelevant for apps, but I think we could get apps in to current hol template. However there are certain issues that would need to be worked through eg how to treat different versions. Also we would want to keep the apps separated from games.
Old 23 September 2005, 06:12   #15
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I would be interested in an App database, just because it would be interesting to see how some applications started and evolved.
Old 24 September 2005, 18:14   #16
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'd like to see a HOL for Apps and also Demos
Old 25 September 2005, 18:45   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Agreed on the demos. Demos were just as big a part of the Amiga as the games, and frankly, I'd rather sit through Phenomenas Enigma or 3D Demo II than play Crackdown, and I think the two former examples sit in peoples memories better than the latter!
Old 04 October 2005, 02:05   #18
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

most cerainly on the DEMO's i am supprised there isn't one. i thought there was hmmm heey tel you what i got about 100 disks with old school demo's on 'em.... ahhh nine fingers... how did that go??? ahhh yes damn funky... and Melon Party 94.... Flash Mega Demo.... such awsome tunes.... and some really smarty spazil effects too...

But yes a HOL for demos and applications..... hmmm anything else?????
Old 04 October 2005, 02:06   #19
BippyM
Global Moderator

how about a HOL for amiga pics

joke
AdSense AdSense