English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 July 2007, 21:15   #101
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I had a Amstrad CPC 464 with colour monitor in 95 but i played on the commodore 64 more..

Oh Amstrad stands for "Alan Michael Sugar Trading"..
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 July 2007, 18:57   #102
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Long live the Amstrad CPC thread!!!
Old 18 July 2007, 13:04   #103
MrZammler
Zone Friend

Finally found some free time to install a wandler RGB->Svhs/Composite adaptor on the cpc to get it on the 1084S.

The site is in Greek, but you can see some pics of the mod here: http://www.amigahellas.gr/modules/ne...d=634&forum=11

Image is okaish for the composite, looking for a s-video->chroma/luma cable. Should be much better.
Old 14 September 2007, 11:24   #104
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Send a message via MSN to P-J
You MUST check out : Amstrad CPC

Hi all!

I thought it might be nice to start a series of threads on some of the 8 and 16 bit machines that aren't Amiga and let the former users of these machines share some stuff.
  • Games that really shone on the system (compared to the same on other systems)
  • Good games that were unique to the system
  • PD/scene demos that really showed what the hardware could do
It's Amstrad CPC this time, so anyone who is in the know, share the cool stuff!

(ps. None of this 'amstrad r0x0rs ur b0x0rs' crap. Show us some games and demos!)

Last edited by P-J; 14 September 2007 at 12:32.
Old 14 September 2007, 11:45   #105
Marcuz
Wurk???

i mean, like this one?
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=1972
or this one?
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=13182

edit: before you think of other 8/16 bit threads, look here:
Atari ST
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=6201
MSX
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=1473
C64
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=1880

Last edited by Marcuz; 14 September 2007 at 11:51.
Old 14 September 2007, 11:56   #106
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Thanks for the input. Those posts all go back up to six years so it would be nice to have some new contributions.

//edit : What has this got to do with this thread?

//double-edit : Having read the threads you posted, it's clear none of them are really related to what I asked at all, so scratch my earlier comment.
Old 14 September 2007, 12:14   #107
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Send a message via ICQ to girv Send a message via AIM to girv Send a message via MSN to girv Send a message via Yahoo to girv
Thumbs up memory &1986

I shall speak on behalf of the CPC

I was active on the Amstrad CPC between 1986 and 1991. It was a very capable games machine with various graphics modes, decent sound, memory and processor power. The hardware design was cool too with everything built into one unit and they usually came with their own monitor, a step up from the RF modulator -> TV displays used by its C64 and Spectrum peers. It's probably the best thing Amstrad ever made and definitely an upgrade from the VIC-20 I'd been using before then.

The CPC had many high quality games with the most (if not all) of the major releases of the day making it to the platform. My personal recommendations would be to check out the original Cybernoid (best title track ever), ATF, Get Dexter!, XOR, War Machine, Spindizzy, Solomon's Key, Laser Squad and Nebulus. Some of these crossed the 16 bit line and appeared on Amiga as well. I'd love to see an Amiga Get Dexter! though

I wrote many BASIC games on the CPC and eventually learned enough Z80 assembly language to start on a "proper" game, a vertically scrolling shmup that went by the unlikely title YSEL: wot's it to you, tentacle face?. But I spent most of my time making type-in POKEs (cheats, trainers) for existing games and cracking them to load from disq instead of tape. Sound familiar ?

I've recorded some of my CPC activities on my website http://www.girv.net/amstrad-cpc, where you can see more games I'd recommend and even play some in your browser, if you're Java enabled.

Other CPC sites worthy of mention would be CPC Zone, which would be the CPC equivalent of EAB & HOL combined

You should also look at Devilmarkus' site http://cpc.devilmarkus.de/ for over 300 CPC games to play online. He's been on here before and he's also made a Windows conversion of the Amstrad classic "Cauldron"

Amstrad CPC FTW !
Old 14 September 2007, 12:18   #108
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Thanks for the info mate. Do you also have any interest in scene-demos? If so any recommendations?
Old 14 September 2007, 12:25   #109
Marcuz
Wurk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Thanks for the input. Those posts all go back up to six years so it would be nice to have some new contributions.

//edit : What has this got to do with this thread?

//double-edit : Having read the threads you posted, it's clear none of them are really related to what I asked at all, so scratch my earlier comment.
meh... your thread your rules.
my point is that talking of systems dead already more than 10 years ago, hardly the threads about them started a couple of years back here get more retro than that: their content has the same exact value...
Old 14 September 2007, 15:58   #110
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Send a message via ICQ to girv Send a message via AIM to girv Send a message via MSN to girv Send a message via Yahoo to girv
Quote:
Thanks for the info mate. Do you also have any interest in scene-demos? If so any recommendations?
Sorry, I was never into the demo scene really. Same as Amiga I guess The CPC demo scene being mainly French didn't help though.

Theres some decent scene links on my links page. http://www.girv.net/amstrad-cpc/links.html
Old 14 September 2007, 16:21   #111
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

CPC is terrible in comparison to my psp, if I went back in time in my delorian with the flux capacitor and showed the kid I knew who had a CPC when the rest of us had c64s and amigas my psp he would vomit and then proceed to trash his CPC. They both have three letters but the PSP is so much better...

Sorry P-J couldnt resist....
Old 14 September 2007, 18:03   #112
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Nearly all CPC games lacked a smooth scrolling, terrible machine for gaming. The graphics were more colorful, compared to the C-64, but that's all. Not to mention the C-64 SID soundchip.
Old 14 September 2007, 21:26   #113
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Nearly all CPC games lacked a smooth scrolling, terrible machine for gaming. The graphics were more colorful, compared to the C-64, but that's all. Not to mention the C-64 SID soundchip.
I think this thread has gone off the beaten track already.
Old 14 September 2007, 21:39   #114
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I think this thread has gone off the beaten track already.
There were indeed good CPC games, no doubt. But imho the C-64 & Atari 800 XL were more suitable for playing 8-bit games.
Old 14 September 2007, 21:41   #115
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Ive only played cpc games in emualtors, but the extra colours didnt do much for the gfx as the pixels were bigger then even the c64s. no idea if it has hardware sprites or not but a vast majority of games were as jittery as the spectrum counterparts. that said, few games differed much from the spectrum versions. The c64 is deffinatly the deffinitive 8bit machine in my mind.
Old 14 September 2007, 21:46   #116
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
There were indeed good CPC games, no doubt. But imho the C-64 & Atari 800 XL were more suitable for playing 8-bit games.
No way! My 8-bit computer was better than yours!

C64 games were OK, if you liked brown and chunky. Atari 800 XL games were ... well, I'm sure there were some at any rate.

Old 14 September 2007, 21:47   #117
s2325
Zone Friend

In some emulators CPC games are incorrectly, too much stretched to fill screen, so you see big pixels. Try Caprice32.
Old 14 September 2007, 21:52   #118
girv
Reticulator of Splines

@mad-matt: the C64 and CPC could both do 160x200 in 16 colours, except that the CPC could have a colour per-pixel but the C64 had a colour per 4x8 pixels. I think. I was never really into the C64 and only know one person who ever had one!

CPC game speed (especially scrollers) suffered despite its faster processor as it had 16K of screen memory to move around, crappy hardware scrolling and no hardware sprites. It beat down the C64 on 3D games though
Old 14 September 2007, 21:57   #119
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv View Post
No way! My 8-bit computer was better than yours!

C64 games were OK, if you liked brown and chunky. Atari 800 XL games were ... well, I'm sure there were some at any rate.

Only a friend of mine had an Atari 800 XL, but this machine can do at least a proper scrolling with colorful graphics.
Old 14 September 2007, 22:00   #120
s2325
Zone Friend

That's true:
AdSense AdSense