English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 August 2005, 00:25   #1
StarEye
Zone Friend

Amiga-games on Pocket PC?

I'm about to go shopping for a pocket pc (one that preferably has everything). As the amiga-fanatic that I am, I'm already looking into what kind of games I can get it to run. Is there an amiga emulator for these things?

Also, are there any other recommendations besides ScummVM (I'm DEFINATELY getting that one)?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 August 2005, 03:26   #2
OddbOd

Yes there is a version of UAE for PocketPC which is a build of an older UAE version. It works but performance even on the latest PPCs is not very good, frameskip is always needed to achieve full speed unless you just want to move Workbench icons around the screen . The other major problem is a lack of native Amiga keyboard support since there is usually no room for an on-screen keyboard (most PPCs feature 320x240 resolution) the only way practical way to use keys is via an external keyboard or by mapping keys to the hardware buttons.

Emulators for other systems are much better with MorphGear (Genesis,Gameboy,SNES,Master System,Game Gear,GBA,PC-Engine), Pocket C=64 and ScummVM being particular favourites of mine. Playstation emulation is a neat trick but does not perform well enough to be enjoyable, this situation should change soon though as 3D accelerators become more common.

Gaming in general has moved forward a lot in recent years with titles ranging from simple puzzle games to an excellent port of Tomb Raider 1 and games like GeoRally which are really quite impressive considering the technical limitations of most PDAs. There is no way a PPC can compete with the likes of a PSP (or even a Nintendo DS) for gaming but neither of them can match a PDA for sheer flexibility, cost (most games are very cheap or even free) or size.

Tip: One absolutely essential PDA application is The Core Pocket Media Player which despite its uninspiring name is by far the best media player for PocketPC and Palm, IMHO it's even better than most desktop players and it's open source.
Old 09 August 2005, 11:04   #3
StarEye
Zone Friend

Ah, nice. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll probably just skip the amiga emulation and concentrate on the others. And I'll keep the media player in mind too.

Old 09 August 2005, 20:12   #4
DopPie
Zone Friend

Rick Dangerous is ported to Pocket PC. I beleive prince of persia is aswell.
you will not see the difference. look for xrick.
Old 10 August 2005, 05:20   #5
OddbOd

Nice spotting DopPie, there are links to a few more conversions on Peter's UAE FAQ Page.
Old 12 August 2005, 22:15   #6
StarEye
Zone Friend

Okay, got some games now. I'm not sure if I want any "joypad" or "joystick" games. Feel free to tell me otherwise if it's worth it, or if it just feels like playing on a mobile. I have a whole physical keyboard on my iPAQ (hw6515). I got myself a 512mb memory card too, had to have at least that if I want to have some games and a few MP3s. Not too many though, I won't use it to listen to music to anyway. I still got a discman and md discman for that.

I found that I could use both SD cards and mini-SD cards. mini-SD cards were rather expensive though, so I figure I should get myself a 1gb SD-card before I start thinking about a mini-SD. Are there any huge differences between these two cards, except from the physical size? 'Cause I'm not really sure I see the point of making the cards smaller than the standard size SD cards. It's not like it takes up so much space.

Oh, another thing. I couldn't see it in the manual, but should I turn off my iPAQ before I put in or remove an SD card, or can I just switch whenever I need to, while it's on? Not while it's writing or reading from the card of course...
Old 13 August 2005, 10:37   #7
OddbOd

Oh shit, a 6515 you say, great phone/PIM but not good for games due to the 240x240 screen which will at best cause the display to be shrunk/cut-off and at worst make the game not work at all (Tomb Raider, for example, doesn't even start). The current OS and most existing applications were not designed with this size/aspect ratio in mind, Windows Mobile 5 will hopefully alleviate a lot of the problems when it's finally available for the 6515. Until then I strongly suggest you don't buy any applications without trying a trial version first or, if there isn't one available, ask around on somewhere like the IpaqHQ Forums.

Apparently the D-pad is quite good on these things but check that the diagonals are working properly as some faulty units have been shipped. The other alternative is a bluetooth controller like ENR Technologies gamepad, however these things are IMO too expensive at USD$80. Keep in mind that quite a few recent games can use a thumboard(thumbpad?) by redefining the keys in-game.

As for your queries regarding SD/miniSD cards I'll turn the questions over to the folks at the SD Card Association:
Quote:
Q: What is the difference between the SD Memory Card and the miniSD™ Card?
A: Logically and electrically, the miniSD™ Card and the SD Memory Card are identical. Only the form factor, size, and number of pins of the miniSD™ Card are different from the standard SD Memory Card. (Two additional pins are reserved for future use.)

Q: Will the miniSD™ Card replace the current SD Memory Card?
A: No, not at all. The miniSD™ Card was designed to meet a special requirement from some of the mobile phone companies in Japan for the smallest possible memory card size.
Source:http://www.sdcard.com/europe/TextPage.asp?Page=8
Note: miniSD cards should come with an adaptor so they can be used in standard SD card slots.

When inserting/removing SD cards, it really doesn't matter if the device is ON or not, when turned OFF via the power button they are actually in STANDBY mode just like a mobile phone. Your assumption about not removing cards during read/write is quite correct you will not damage the hardware but data loss can (and does) occur.

Last edited by OddbOd; 13 August 2005 at 10:45.
Old 13 August 2005, 13:17   #8
StarEye
Zone Friend

Ah, I guess that's why I didn't get FreeSCI to work. Still, I got ScummVM working perfectly, except from Broken Sword 1. I assume it's because of the screenmode, because it definately looks like that.

About the SD cards, it looks like it's pointless to buy a mini-SD card until I have taken full advantage of the ordinary SD card slot. I have two slots on mine, one takes the SD card while the other takes the mini-SD card. mini-SD cards seem rather expensive, so I will rather buy a 1gb SD card before spending money on the mini-SDs. For now, I'm quite satisfied with 512mb.
AdSense AdSense