English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 September 2005, 21:24   #61
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Its not exaggerated! I used to work in the games industry, take it from someone who knows!

Teque, Kremlin, Tiertex, WJS Designs, and a few others wrote on Atari ST first, then ported across to Amiga. Sometimes the only difference being that they bothered to do different music using the Amiga slightly more. It's not exaggerated when its true. Look at the countless Tiertex 'conversions' that didn't EVER use the Amiga in any way whatsoever! 16colours is pure laziness because thats what the ST was capable of displaying in. Count up all the games written by these muppets, and you will find it stretches to more than just a 'few examples'.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 September 2005, 00:42   #62
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Teirtex games had crap graphics on the ST also even if it used the full colour capacity of it, why would 16 clours more mean it would become better.
About Teque they did as i see good enhanched Amiga version compared to the ST... ok some might still use 16 colours on Amiga also but it could be because adding more would slowdown the game too much?

W.J.S is a very good gamecompany i don't know why you would mention it as a bad one? Any particular game you think of? ORK certainly looks much better on Amiga
Old 05 September 2005, 03:07   #63
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lindberg
Teirtex games had crap graphics on the ST also even if it used the full colour capacity of it, why would 16 clours more mean it would become better.
About Teque they did as i see good enhanched Amiga version compared to the ST... ok some might still use 16 colours on Amiga also but it could be because adding more would slowdown the game too much?

W.J.S is a very good gamecompany i don't know why you would mention it as a bad one? Any particular game you think of? ORK certainly looks much better on Amiga
WJS good? Are you for real? Do a search in HOL for all of their 'gems'. Ork is a flat Reflections/Beast lame wannabe. An absolutely pitifully dull game. Wayne J Smithson knows as much about programming Amiga games as I do solving world peace!

Teque (Teque London as they changed to) got better in the later stages, coincidentally, when they no longer supported the Atari ST! Coincidence... I think not!

Early Teque, the only reason the music was any good is because Matt Furniss their musician was an ex demo musician from Magnetic Fields. This is the company that did the quite ok Continental Circus, then LATER produced a worse Chase HQ!!!! People are supposed to get better not worse at programming!!!!

Do your research! anyway, this thread is going off topic.
Old 06 September 2005, 10:40   #64
RCK
Administrator

Thread cleaned / Peanuk kicked for 24h
Old 08 September 2005, 17:57   #65
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

As per Galahad's postings, numerous Magazine reviews & WIP's often pointed to an Amiga game being a likely "ST port"-& did occur as much in original titles as conversions-for example Andy Braybrook's Paradroid '90 was designed primarily with the ST as the primary machine & Amiga secondary in consideration-hence the translation lacked the original C64's version's multi-direction scroll! (In favour of a vertical scroll with the ST's weakness for horizontal scrolling).
As I think Galahad was pointing out even in later years when the Megadrive & co. started to pull ground away from Amiga, the ECS conversions of said Megadrive titles eg: Desert Strike, Mortal Kombat etc.,were considerably improved when compared to the likes of Strider, Dynasty Wars, Shadow Warriors, Ghouls 'n'Ghosts etc.

As for WJS designs-I seem to recall an incredibly insipid "conversion" of C64 masterpiece Creatures being amongst their credits,wherein completely changing the sprite scale of the main game sprites was the first of many design flaws,'nuff said!
AdSense AdSense