English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 May 2006, 11:31   #61
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur OUXX
I haden't needed a walkthrough until there, but sometimes the puzzles in this game are weird.

As you read above, i wasn't blocked by a puzzle, nor by a monster, but... by an invisible passage. I consider this very weak to hide a passage just by drawing it black on black...
Yeah dont worry, each to their own just as long as you enjoy this game. I enjoyed it the first time round, so hopefully it will still be the same for you?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 May 2006, 11:33   #62
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur OUXX
By the way, i was quite surprised by the low-quality of "urban levels" graphics, compared to those of "cave levels"...

In the caves, graphics are beautiful, BUT...
Sometimes, in the base, it almost looks like there are only 16 colours, and everything is so flat!!! (if i wanted to be nasty i'd say "it reminds me of Commander Keen graphics").
When i played the Amiga version upon its release, i actually found the Urban levels looked far better than the Caves!!.. So im assuming that the PC version is crap compared to the Amiga version. I did download it myself last night too, and ive gotta say that there does seem to be far less colours than the Ami version.
Old 19 May 2006, 18:04   #63
z00mba

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx
Sorry, you are wrong here. OnEscapee is a very balanced arcade/adventure game.
I don't how the genre of a game make it good or bad... where's the logic behind this?

onEscapee have horrible controls, the caracter respond when he want (maybe it could be faster to send him a fax when you want to make it do something).

Try run, roll, run again... you can't because the caracter get stuck on rolling movement so you have to stop, presse up, the run again.

The fight sequence are very unprecise and completly boring. The better made a point and click adventure and don't bother with the crappy action part.

Movements are very limited, you can't for example grab a corner, etc. The game was even announced to be of the family of Flashback and AW... I can only laugh.

Try to jump or roll when you are near some obsctacle or just too near to the border of the screen: you can't the caracter stay fixed like nothing happened. Try that in any other game... what happens?

Try to move near a hole or some enemies, the game simply jump to a death scene, you don't even know what happened. And most of the time nothing happened really, you just had your toes approching too near of an hole or a monster 'magically' killed you without actually entering in contact with the main sprite... come'on!

As for the so called adventure part the hardest thing was to find how to pass throu some completly illogical puzzle (well sort of) like:

1. Get hit by a laser to jump over a fence because there is no other way to do it while on the next screen there is the exact same fence and you just have to roll under it. L A M E.

2. Press up to get into a super hidden secret passage, so well hidden that there is no passage on the screen! It's just plain black. Pathetic.

3. Shoot a barrel, nothing happens... go away: the barrel explode. Come'on... shoot the barrel a million time: nothing happened. That's great gameplay yeah.

4. and much much more...

The only good idea was the 3 logic games but they are very easy and all based on the same idea with minor change, the rest of the game is pure crap and never comes near to the hits this game was inspired by (Flashback, Another World, Prince of Persia...).
Old 19 May 2006, 20:39   #64
blade002
Zone Friend

I dont think he likes it
Old 19 May 2006, 21:56   #65
pTah
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
I dont think he likes it
yep, but anyway it's a great game...
every game has its disadvantages. generelly i really enjoyed to play onescapee even i also dont like some parts.
Old 19 May 2006, 23:55   #66
z00mba

Just a Flashback wanabee except they ripped all the bad parts and failed on what made the original so good. I only speaked about the gameplay and playability and they sucks a lot but the rest is not better. The only good points imo are how they tried to include some logic mini-games (but failed at giving them some interest) and the music. About the rest the only reasons why this game had some popularity are easy:

- It was announced (read: "lied") to be on the same path as Flashback and Another World
- There was nothing much left on the Amiga market at that time
- Peoples likes shit =)

Hehe
Old 20 May 2006, 03:32   #67
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00mba
Just a Flashback wanabee except they ripped all the bad parts and failed on what made the original so good. I only speaked about the gameplay and playability and they sucks a lot but the rest is not better. The only good points imo are how they tried to include some logic mini-games (but failed at giving them some interest) and the music. About the rest the only reasons why this game had some popularity are easy:

- It was announced (read: "lied") to be on the same path as Flashback and Another World
- Peoples likes shit =)

Hehe
I suppose given the current state of the market at the time, and the ratio of about 50 PD games to 1 commercial, i guess that even if it was bad, were we really going to expect much better in such a time when the Amiga market was in extreme decline game wise!?.. I did enjoy the game when it came out.

But then what shocked me were games like Genetic Species that came out even later ( i think ) and BLEW me away!!! ( im glad something has blown me in the last 8 years ). I never expected to see such quality in game when the Amiga game market was virtually dead. And damn it looked incredible on just my 030/50. A great technical acheivement.
Old 20 May 2006, 21:29   #68
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00mba

- Peoples likes shit =)

Hehe
You are a harsh harsh harsh man z00mba
Old 22 May 2006, 00:02   #69
Interceptor

i downloaded this game for the PC and played it today, and i'm with z00mba on this one, it's crap.

sure the graphics would have ben nice it's day (never played the amiga version, i was a PC guy by then) but everything he said is true.

imagine you're in that position:

"hmm, i'm stuck, cant get past this fence......perhaps if that laser gets me, it wont kill me.....yeah....just sting me so hard i jump right over this fence.....yeah...thats what i'll do......"

ZAP!

"oh yeah, i'm a genuis, shame i'm nearly dead......hmm, another fence......well, i'm feeling rather poorly...like if life was an energy bar i'd be nearly out by now....perhaps i'll roll under this next fence...."

*rolls under*

"oh yeah, double genius....wished i'd thought if that last time, i wouldnt have burnt my jeans..."

seriously, i played this game for like 10 mins, saw what i was in for and promptly deleted it. wasnt even worth what i paid for it..
Old 22 May 2006, 18:30   #70
pTah
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002

But then what shocked me were games like Genetic Species that came out even later ( i think ) and BLEW me away!!! ( im glad something has blown me in the last 8 years ). I never expected to see such quality in game when the Amiga game market was virtually dead. And damn it looked incredible on just my 030/50. A great technical acheivement.
yep, but for me it wasnt much fun to play genetic species. graphics are not everything that is needed for a good game.
Old 23 May 2006, 10:22   #71
manicx

@ z00mba and Interceptor

Basically, I don't see any differences to Another World and in many cases to Flashback. Another World was excatly the same as OnEscapee. The death scenes that z00mba describes, are a rip off from Another World. Remember when you are rolling in the tubes in Another World and you just end up falling off like a sack full of potatos only to find that you are dead? Remember the start of Another World too? Going to the right, then running to the left, running to the right, saved (?) by the bad guys.

I think that it all comes up to negative mind and being superstitious. When I played the game back in 1997, I enjoyed it very much. I play the PC version when my broadband connection is busy with P2P and can't play CS.

Both Another World and OnEscapee and up to a point Flashback, are very scripted. There is always a thin white line that you follow to finish the game. They all have a balance between arcade and adventure elements. To say that you don't like OnEscapee but you like Another World is beyond logic.
Old 27 May 2006, 16:06   #72
z00mba

Another World is pure genious, loaded with nice ideas, and nicely balanced between cinematics and storyline and interactive parts. The Amiga version certainly had the worst gameplay if you compare it with the ports on other systems but was still far far beyond onEscapee. In AW (and Flashback) you can really feel the experience of the developpers at all levels, in both games all elements are very well stitched together while in onEscapee it seams that everything it put there without any real purpose.

In onEscapee you can easyly feel the makers had no experience and tho they certainly did their best the game as a globality lacks a lot.

I also think the game was finished in a hurry, for example the speed is too slow and everything seams to move in slowmotion (by chance the Amiga version has this 'Turbo' mode that save it), the playability is awfull (like I explained before) and the gameplay is the same. The two last levels have no interest at all, just swim and run, there's no enemy, no puzzles... you just have to pass all those empty screens and wait for the final sequence, there is not even a last battle with the main enemy. And when you know the first screens are counted as a level you can make the total: 6 - 3, there is only 3 levels in the game.
Old 14 June 2006, 17:02   #73
HymnsomniaK
Onezay Riendfay

I guess in this game getting stuck is very frequent. I'm at the caves and I've got the gun from the spider but I can't get anywhere from here. I shot everything there is to shoot but the path remains hidden , just like the programmers wanted it to be.
Old 14 June 2006, 17:53   #74
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTah
yep, but for me it wasnt much fun to play genetic species. graphics are not everything that is needed for a good game.
No i agree that it was fun to play, but that wasnt my point, my point was sheer quality on all counts!. Graphics, Sound, Gameplay.. the whole lot!.. It was definately a time where the Amiga market had dried up almost completely and this game encompassed all that was great in the Amiga market during the early 90's. It was a rare sight in 1998 to see this, and it was certainly a sight to behold. and i just happened to enjoy Genetic Species alot!.

There were so many points about Amiga games that i enjoyed, the primary point being of course the Gameplay, but i was also almost just as focused on the Art, Technical Acheivements & Creativity.

You dont see that much anymore, either because of A: Its all been done and its hard to come up with new idea's or B: Technical & Creative Genius has been lost in the Sea of bigger and better hardware and an endless obsession with Speed.

The same can be said for the music industry. For every 1000 Beyonce copies there is 1 Bjork that occasionally stands out and makes us realise what is truly great and then sets a new standard.

Those pixels on that screen and that music that played while were playing those games was as every bit as important as gameplay, because that profoundly influenced how drawn into that world and feeling you became.

Ooooh im getting all deep now!. lol. Nurse!!!... 50 cc's of sedation!.

Last edited by blade002; 14 June 2006 at 18:10.
AdSense AdSense