English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 October 2001, 05:03   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Pal Booter

All Brazilian Amiga users had this little util called "Pal Booter". and what it did was changing the Amiga display frequency from 50 Hz to 60 Hz (or was the other way around? can't remember now), and then reset the Amiga, so you inserted your game disk and the game would run in the new frequency

Some games needed that, others would only WORK with that, and other won't look fine with it. Some cracktros also had the option to change the frquency.

This may seem like a silly question, but did the Europeans also used this util ?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 October 2001, 12:49   #2
Drake1009

Well I definately don't see such a util on my Amiga. It might be possible though. Take Fury of the furries. When you booted that you had the option to play in 50hz mode or 60 hz mode. The game would be faster in 60hz too.

I always thought NTSC was 60hz and pal was 50hz and that pal couldn't run 60hz. Gues sI was wrong.
Old 21 October 2001, 13:33   #3
Amigaboy

It's just a standard PAL/NTSC switcher

There are literally dozens of these programs floating around. Check out Aminet if you want them

PAL Amiga's can run in 60Hz. There's nothing stopping them. If I recall (it's been a while), there's a switch within the Amiga. Flick it to 60Hz and that's it. That's the hardware way.

Old 21 October 2001, 21:59   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post PAL/NTSC switch simply requires an ECS Amiga

Just a little note, all Amiga's with the ECS chipset or higher can switch modes. OCS machines cannot. It's actually one of the easiest pieces of code to write:

move.w #0,$dff1dc ;NTSC mode
move.w #$20,$dff1dc ;PAL mode

WB2.x+ have the early startup menu (both mouse buttons down while the Amiga checks it's config after a reset as stated) which allow you to control it simply by pressing a key.

If the game in question hardwires in the above code, it will of course switch to the other mode overriding your earlier selection.

A few games (off the top of my head) like Lemmings (Tab) and World Championship Boxing Manager (F9/F10) allow you to toggle the frequency ingame.

Other games which only run in one mode (generally only in PAL) usually have a main loop which waits for the screen beam to reach a certain position on the screen. In NTSC mode it never reaches that position so the game appears to freeze. These games (eg. Quest of Agravain and Dynamo) need to be slightly modified to run in the alternate mode

As for your original question Shatterhand, we "Euros" (Australia/NZ also uses PAL!) used this utility a lot for sluggish games designed for NTSC machines. 3D Pool, F/A-18 Interceptor and R-Type 2 all play a lot better in 60Hz (you do miss the panel at bottom of the screen in R-Type 2 though) and you avoid that annoying black strip at the bottom of the monitor!

Last edited by Codetapper; 21 October 2001 at 22:04.
Old 21 October 2001, 22:45   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Codetapper, you forgot OCS PAL 60Hz trick. (Using copper to clear line counter register at line 262)
Old 21 October 2001, 23:26   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Wink Whoops!

Toni - not forgot, never knew this one You learn something everyday...

I guess this is how the old Hacktrick.60Hz program worked and why it was about 5k when I can do it in 8 bytes on ECS - admitedly HackTrick has that cool picture of a beer bottle tho
Old 22 October 2001, 01:52   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Oopps, I forgot about Austrlia and NZ users

Well, I was thinking about send this disk to Akira so he can dump it too, but as you can find similar utils in aminet, I won't..

Unless someone is interested...
Old 22 October 2001, 20:03   #8
Akira

Yeah, I could do this with some cracktros, but some games switched back to 50Hz after that. I have to use Degrader or Galahad's rom image that comes with Relokick to change to 60Hz and lock it there.

Codetapper, my A600 cannot change modes in the startup menu, or at least I have no clue how... Any ideas?
Old 27 June 2007, 22:15   #9
NfernalNfluence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
Just a little note, all Amiga's with the ECS chipset or higher can switch modes. OCS machines cannot. It's actually one of the easiest pieces of code to write:

move.w #0,$dff1dc ;NTSC mode
move.w #$20,$dff1dc ;PAL mode
how and where do i inject this code?
Old 27 June 2007, 22:42   #10
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

That depends on the game in question I'm afraid. Sometimes you might get away with sticking it on the bootblock before a major JMP - other times it might be tweaked in the game somewhere.

Alas though if you're not into assembler then you're going to struggle
Old 28 June 2007, 10:17   #11
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
I guess this is how the old Hacktrick.60Hz program worked and why it was about 5k when I can do it in 8 bytes on ECS - admitedly HackTrick has that cool picture of a beer bottle tho
I always wondered about that too.. I used to have a Rev5 A500 with 512k Agnus and Hacktrick + Dynablaster were the only ones that ran in 60Hz. :-)
Old 28 June 2007, 15:22   #12
OddbOd

I'm still wondering about two related points. Do PAL Amigas really switch to NTSC or are they generating a PAL60 signal? And, what caused them to occassionally boot in 60Hz mode (the reason for the NoPALReset utility)?
Old 28 June 2007, 15:30   #13
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd
Do PAL Amigas really switch to NTSC or are they generating a PAL60 signal?
Wasn't PAL60 just "discovered" a few years back?
Quote:
what caused them to occassionally boot in 60Hz mode (the reason for the NoPALReset utility)?
?
Old 28 June 2007, 16:29   #14
OddbOd

That doesn't really make sense, the PAL standard covers colour encoding only (unlike NTSC) it does not explicitly specify things like resolution and sync frequencies that's why there are several sub-standards. The Brazilian PAL-M system which is almost identical to PAL60 (it only differs in so far as it's a broadcast system and uses a different colour sub-carrier) has been used since the early 1970s.
Old 28 June 2007, 17:34   #15
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Sorry, must've had old information, lol :/
Old 29 June 2007, 19:22   #16
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Quote:
I'm still wondering about two related points. Do PAL Amigas really switch to NTSC or are they generating a PAL60 signal?
The colour encoding never changes without hardware modifications, only the refresh rate.

So "PAL60" it is, if you use the composite output.

Naturally the RGB signal is never "PAL" or "NTSC" but merely analogue RGB at 50Hz or 60Hz vertical and 15kHz horisontal.
AdSense AdSense