English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 July 2005, 10:24   #61
manicx

PSP Neo Geo!

Runs most games at full speed with a few exceptions that you need to turn sound off. Impressive.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 July 2005, 14:52   #62
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

There seems to be an issue with SOUND on emulators on PSP... wonder why?
Old 11 July 2005, 15:12   #63
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The sound is always last to be implemented by most emulator writers. I am guessing it's the same with anyone porting emulators?

I notice that Team Xecutor have announced that they can re-flash any PSP to v1.0
Old 11 July 2005, 16:47   #64
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
I notice that Team Xecutor have announced that they can re-flash any PSP to v1.0
Where? I just won 110 on the F1 and I normally treat myself to a toy in the team colours... Any Silver PSPs???
Old 11 July 2005, 20:49   #65
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
The sound is always last to be implemented by most emulator writers. I am guessing it's the same with anyone porting emulators?

So it is only a matter of time before this can be redone at home
Old 12 July 2005, 10:45   #66
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I had a look on TeamXecuter.com and they deny such a statement if I read it right...
Old 12 July 2005, 10:56   #67
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It would appear so. Probably a good thing to say legally
Old 12 July 2005, 11:13   #68
Big-Byte
Long time member

From what I can make out, they found out how to do it without any hardware modification whatsoever!
Old 12 July 2005, 11:47   #69
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Obviously it was over my head.. then again I wasnt well at that time!
Old 13 July 2005, 21:42   #70
parabolee
Zone Friend

Currently the PSP UAE is at 3.1 and is running very nice. Great compatibility for such an early version.

I just hope the dev can get the speed up high enough to run full speed with a frameskip of 2 or less.

Right now I am seeing a frame skip of 8 while playing most games during graphical movment sections (ie not menu's).

It Came From the Desert (my all time favorite game) is pretty playable though.

I wish the guy had more help but so far it's just him. Any coders here who can help him out?

His website is here but it is often down (You can pull up the cached verion on google though) -

http://www.kaillera.com/pspuae/

Message Board is always up though -

http://uaex.sourceforge.net/forums/index.php?c=3
Old 13 July 2005, 21:44   #71
parabolee
Zone Friend

How do I subscribe to a thread without posting? I forgot when I posted last time.
Old 13 July 2005, 21:53   #72
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabolee
Currently the PSP UAE is at 3.1 and is running very nice. Great compatibility for such an early version.

I just hope the dev can get the speed up high enough to run full speed with a frameskip of 2 or less.

Right now I am seeing a frame skip of 8 while playing most games during graphical movment sections (ie not menu's).

It Came From the Desert (my all time favorite game) is pretty playable though.

I wish the guy had more help but so far it's just him. Any coders here who can help him out?

His website is here but it is often down (You can pull up the cached verion on google though) -

http://www.kaillera.com/pspuae/

Message Board is always up though -

http://uaex.sourceforge.net/forums/index.php?c=3
U mean v0.31 not v3.1!!!! And a frameskip of 8 sounds VERY slow.... and since the PSP is clocked up to 333mhz its not gonna get much faster. I think my original plan of a PDA/Phone with VGA etc and 520mhz CPU which clocks to 720Mhz will do a better job!
Old 13 July 2005, 21:57   #73
parabolee
Zone Friend

you are correct, 0.31. That was a typo.

It's very early code. I had Fellow and UAE runnign at full speed on a 100mhz PC back in the day, so I don't think it will be too difficult to get it running at a decent speed. As long as it's coded right a frameskip of 2 or 3 should produce full speed at the very least.

But like I say, I had full speed on Fellow and UAE on a 100mhz PC, I don't see why we can't get it from a 333mhz PSP.
Old 14 July 2005, 10:11   #74
manicx

Well, you had an Amiga 4000 with a 060/50 Accelerator that couldn't run 3D games as fast as a 486/33. Different architecture. Don't confuse CPU speeds.
Old 14 July 2005, 16:09   #75
parabolee
Zone Friend

No I understand, but the PSP is far more powerfull than my crappy old 100mhz PC that ran UAE at 100% speed. The PSP seems to emulate the good games for the 100mhz PC pretty well (Doom, Quake), hell Quake ran like crap on that PC but it runs really well on the PSP.

So if the PSP can emulate a PC that could run UAE at full speeds, I think a well writeen Amiga EMU could run at AT LEAST close to full speed, I mean a frame skip of 2/3 would be fine (or playable anyway).
Old 14 July 2005, 16:14   #76
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I wont get too excited until it can run fine with frameskip of 1 (not 2 or 3)
Old 14 July 2005, 16:56   #77
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
There seems to be an issue with SOUND on emulators on PSP... wonder why?
Probably because the slowdowns are a lot more noticeable with sound and skippy sound is worse than silence.

Old 14 July 2005, 17:03   #78
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabolee
but the PSP is far more powerfull than my crappy old 100mhz PC that ran UAE at 100% speed.
I dont believe that your crappy old PC ever ran UAE at 100% speed. WinFellow maybe. In addition there have been a lot of changes to the UAE core since then all of which have increased CPU overhead.

Quote:
The PSP seems to emulate the good games for the 100mhz PC pretty well (Doom, Quake), hell Quake ran like crap on that PC but it runs really well on the PSP.
Erm... that's cos the CPU was drawing the screen on your 100MHz PC. The PSP's hardware renderer is now drawing the screen. If you'd had a Voodoo1 + miniGL driver in that PC then those games would have flown.
Old 14 July 2005, 18:39   #79
parabolee
Zone Friend

Quote:
I dont believe that your crappy old PC ever ran UAE at 100% speed. WinFellow maybe. In addition there have been a lot of changes to the UAE core since then all of which have increased CPU overhead.
Yeah actually you are right, now I think about it, it was Fellow that I used. UAE ran OK but Fellow was a lot better.

Quote:
Erm... that's cos the CPU was drawing the screen on your 100MHz PC. The PSP's hardware renderer is now drawing the screen. If you'd had a Voodoo1 + miniGL driver in that PC then those games would have flown.
Yes thats true, but if Fellow ran (not using any graphic card for any help) at full speed (and it ran perfect for me) on my 100mhz PC then an Amiga emulator running at a decent speed is more than possible on the PSP.

I don't care if it is UAEpsp or a port of Fellow or new one from ground up.

I'm not arguing that there are no problems to overcome only that it can be done.

Not sure why you all wannabe so negative about it. It's not like I'm saying it will be easy or that they could do a perfect Sega Saturn emulator or anything. I'm just looking at it with a hopefull mind to getting a decent Amiga emu in the next year for PSP.

PSPuae 0.3 is an awesome start even just as an example of what can be done. The emu scene for PSP is 3 months old and we already have an Amiga emu running at about 60% (the author claims 80% but that is an exagerated estimate in my mind). Great work and a positive start.
Old 15 July 2005, 10:17   #80
bloom

i have no worrys.. we will see this emu running at decent speeds for ECS/68000 emulation! There is no doubt.Christophe just replaces the 68k core code with a faster one and porting the drawing core to R4000 MIPS asm.

Today a source was released how to use the media engine, that is a great thing ! Another 333mhz MIPS Processor.

Seeing the NeoGeoCD emu running Metal Slug at 60fps with sound - flawless, with the first (surly unoptimized) version of that emu ! just shows off the PSP powers.

Anyway "that isnt possible" has often prooven wrong, more than ever in amiga scene.
AdSense AdSense