English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Was your school equipped with an Amiga?
Hell yes! 14 9.52%
Wish it was... 108 73.47%
We didn't have computers back then 25 17.01%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03 September 2005, 00:40   #61
petza

they had bbc's
i used to be the fastest typer in the class
and i had the highest score on bat n ball
to get access to the games u had to enter a password i tried to guese it i tried ship then car and i got it right on my second try lol,it could have been anything my teacher never believed i guesed it

the bbc's probably cost more than amigas even the spectums were better than bbc's

Last edited by BippyM; 03 September 2005 at 01:47. Reason: posting two 2 posts when quoting in 1 is enough
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 September 2005, 02:13   #62
Parsec

The only time our school was equiped with Amiga's was on the "activities week" at the end of term, when I took mine in All the other poor suckers had to play on Beebs, while I showed off playing Dragons Lair, and blasting remixes of G'n'R out of one of those big wooden tellies they used to have.

Happy days, especially in the Alton Towers trip the same week - I distinctly remember playing APB and not going on any of the rides
Old 03 September 2005, 03:34   #63
andyr

We had a pretty decent IT dept which networked the whole school resulting in each classroom having at least 2 BBC model B's.

We had a business studies classroom full of Amstrad PCW's and the main I.T. studies room had 6 Acorn Archimedes computer's. I was always quite impressed with the Achimedes (more especially when using one after using a BBC!)

The Arch was pretty comparable to the Amiga software wise - Chuck Rock, Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Zool, James Pond etc.. were all released for it. (Some screenshots here.)

The basic model ran at 8MHz using a RISC processor, had a WIMP interface (RISC OS which is still being updated!) and was capable of a maximum screen resolution of 1152x896 with up to 256 colours. 8 Channels of digital audio, protected memory (upto 4MB initially) and a proper IDE implementation.

In theory this system could have whipped the Amiga's backside but dire marketing from the off, expensive hardware and the fact that both the system and Acorn themselves were always viewed as education tools only to be found in schools, meant that it didn't really stand a chance.

College had an Amiga 4000+genlock in the Media Studies dept but because I was doing HND Theatre Engineering (Sound+Lighting), we never got to play with it.

Last edited by andyr; 03 September 2005 at 03:50.
Old 03 September 2005, 11:49   #64
Fenrir

Nope :/ 8086 with 1 MB RAM and M$DOS 2.0 to run TurboPascal.
It was glorious 1990/91.
Old 03 September 2005, 13:11   #65
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr
The Arch was pretty comparable to the Amiga software wise - Chuck Rock, Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Zool, James Pond etc.. were all released for it.

The basic model ran at 8MHz using a RISC processor, had a WIMP interface (RISC OS which is still being updated!) and was capable of a maximum screen resolution of 1152x896 with up to 256 colours. 8 Channels of digital audio, protected memory (upto 4MB initially) and a proper IDE implementation.
The Archimedes was a very good machine indeed, last time I looked they fetched pretty much nil on eBay too

I don't think it was comparable to the Amiga software wise, it might have been for a short time but the Amiga had a much bigger software catalogue before and after that.
Old 03 September 2005, 23:55   #66
andyr

Quote:
I don't think it was comparable to the Amiga software wise, it might have been for a short time but the Amiga had a much bigger software catalogue before and after that.
I should have been clearer by saying that the small amount of 'mainstream' titles released were comparable to thier Amiga counterparts - you are perfectly correct in saying that the amount of software released didn't even come close to matching the immense software catalogue of the Amiga.

Which was a great shame...

But then again, the Amiga always had that something extra - dunno how to describe it though, it just always 'felt' better even though spec wise, it wasn't.

EDIT: Just had a quick scan on E-bay and the only Arch I can see is a 3000 model - currently at £4!
Old 04 September 2005, 00:23   #67
Parsec

Quote:
I should have been clearer by saying that the small amount of 'mainstream' titles released were comparable to thier Amiga counterparts - you are perfectly correct in saying that the amount of software released didn't even come close to matching the immense software catalogue of the Amiga.
Ah right you mean game for game the Archie versions were comparable. I'd go along with that. The Archie was probably a bit weaker at 2D games but better at 3D, certainly Zarch showed there was easily more CPU power available.

Quote:
EDIT: Just had a quick scan on E-bay and the only Arch I can see is a 3000 model - currently at £4!
Shocking isn't it! I always thought rarity was a guarantee of higher prices.
Old 04 September 2005, 20:35   #68
petza

speccy power

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy
Hmm we had ZX Speccy`s.. with microdrives for backup and thermal printers!!
Our computer teacher wore cloggs and his name was Mr Ecott!! hahah
we had this old thing in the corner.. no idea what it was though..

THE SPECTRUM IS A SUPER COMPUTER
ITS PURE RAW POWER

WITH VAAAAAAAAST MEMORY

BTW CLOGS SUCK
Old 04 September 2005, 20:51   #69
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by petza
THE SPECTRUM IS A SUPER COMPUTER
ITS PURE RAW POWER

WITH VAAAAAAAAST MEMORY

BTW CLOGS SUCK
Don't shout.. turn the damn caps lock off!!!
Old 08 September 2005, 21:14   #70
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Lightbulb Ja... Amiga... heres a BBC A m8, be happy

There was a fabled archemides in my High school... it had leser power than my Juiced (pimped up) A500 (1MB module) of the day.

you know i am not quite sure if they had cal-tic-ulators in primary school lol, but yes there was 1 BBC model B with all the trimmings 9600 Bps modem, Cart-slot and 8/5 Disk. it was amazing interacting with teletex via BBS (ahem yawn) my pimped Zx80 had all that and a bag of chips.. except maybe not the modem or the disk drive or the cart slot 'n only 1 chip but hey I HAD 16K RAM PACK AND THE CURRA-SPEAH UNIT!!!!!! the words (F~*k you) were heard repeatedly towards my younger brother in many bi-lingual languages including binary. *ahem* good days...

Computers in my day at school and including high school were a joke, they were still trying to force feed people BBC basic when i was 16 (would of been 1990) lucky me i got excemption from that (smart pupil me)

One thing that amused me though was the inch think lead based BNC EXPRESS carrier network. I tell yell them cables could easly put some one in hospital if ya managed to pick 'em up LOL

ahhh...

other schools had ACORN risc based computers... we had clockwork ones some schools even had intel PC computers but we had there empty boxes...

its okay though... what i needed i had at home..

Binatone, Database2, Atari 2600, Zx80, Spectrum 48k, Vic 20, Atari 600 & 800XL, A500, Atari ST 520, A600, A1200 and more...
Old 06 October 2005, 14:41   #71
BarrySWE
Zone Friend

One amiga 4000 for video management.
Old 06 October 2005, 22:52   #72
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrySWE
One amiga 4000 for video management.
Lucky bastardo , i kinda suspect the "video management" part, i bet you played Wings with some great frames-per-second there
Old 07 October 2005, 11:02   #73
com

We had this Multitech Popular 500 (PC manufactured by Acer) in the 80s.
bäh...
Old 27 July 2015, 00:49   #74
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Old thread but in my school they had the old style commodore 64's. This was in 1991 and 92. The c64's seemed outdated at the time particularly compared to my Amiga 500.
Frogger and several other simple game were loaded on. I believe the c64's were all connected on a network. As such load frogger on one c64 and you load it on all of them.
Old 27 July 2015, 00:53   #75
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

My primary school (1984-1990) had a BBC Micro in most classrooms. My secondary school (1990-1996) still had a few BBC Micro's lurking here and there, but most of the computers we had were Acorn Archemedes, with software such as Pro-Artisan.
Old 27 July 2015, 05:05   #76
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Amiga? We didn't even have Calculators. We used to write on slate until one kid fell off the roof.
Old 27 July 2015, 05:49   #77
XPD

Primary school, we had an Apple of some description arrive about 3 months before I left.
Intermediate, we had BBC's, loved playing around with those.
College, we had some Acorn Archidemes, and in computer studies we had a room full of PC's (286's if lucky), and a room full of Amstrad CPC464's - some with disk drives, most were tape. We were taught BASIC on them. (wooohooo)
Yet all us students had Amigas :-p
Old 27 July 2015, 12:48   #78
edd_jedi

My school had just one Amiga - an A4000 in the art department. I have no idea what it was for as we certainly never used it! I was at high school in the mid 90s so we had Acorns as our main computers (which we only got to use occasionally) and the electronics department also had some 386 PCs with some software to create circuit board schematics, and then as above just one Amiga.
Old 27 July 2015, 14:32   #79
Higgy

My secondary school had BBC Micros & Archimedes. We found a 'Doomsdays Project' BBC in the library. Powered it on and had a play. At some point it mentioned about swapping/flipping the disc. We pressed a button and this massive drawer opened with a huge shiny disc appearing - we ran off!

Although when I was younger and attended summer school there, they had a room of rubber key ZX Spectrums. A week of playing Commando & Manic Miner = bliss.

I was in the lower 'Band' at secondary school. So had to use the BBC Micros instead of Archimedes. Ever tried Desktop Publishing on a BBC? It was very frustrating using such primative computers at school when my AMIGA was at home.
Basically I did my GCSE project work at home on my AMIGA with a digitizer & colour dot matrix. It was great fun and no hardship in having to do this work at home after school. I loved scanning in pictures with Vidi-Amiga and tweeking the pics using Deluxe Paint. Can't remember what I used to combine the text and pics, Final Writer/Wordsworth?

Primary school had one BBC Micro and we had a Turtle. I remember playing with it when most of the other kids were outside doing their Cycling Proficiency. Good fun finding the 'hoot' command and driving the Turtle around. I also remember playing 'Castle Quest' and a 2-player plane game.

Simple times...
Old 27 July 2015, 16:59   #80
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

BBC Model B's when I was a kid, not long before I left junior school, they ditched the BBC's for a load of Research Machine Nimbuses, a rather basic PC, I remember it being quite slow.
AdSense AdSense