English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 March 2005, 00:04   #1
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

Catweasel Mk4 & Questions

Hi guys.

Sorry to be a pain in the bum, I've tried to catch up with a load of threads since I've come back to this site but I'm undecided on something! I remember a few years back I wanted to try and get hold of a catweasel drive but they were very hard to get hold of. Since I've come back I've noticed that they are selling a mk 4 version, but I've read that there has been a few problems with it. So I'm kinda put off by it all. Have many people here bought a mk 4 and if so would they recommend it?!

Am I right in thinking its possible to put ADF's back onto Amiga Floppy's to actually play on the real thing?

Can you still buy Amiga floppies easily enough?

& finally are they easy to fit? (baring in mind I'm absolutely sh*t when it comes to anything technical! Give me a joystick anyday! )

Sorry again for the questions. (especially if they have been repeated!)

Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Old 25 March 2005, 00:31   #2
oldpx

Welcome back
The problem is SID related. Right now I and many others experienced extreme problems with the C64's SID chip on catweasel but I didn't buy CW for SID so this doesn't bug me.

Catweasel MK4 is a standard PCI board and fits like just any other card. The drive is not required to be an amiga one. With Catwease,l you can read/write amiga floppies using ANY PC drive. And yes, you can write floppies back to disk to be played on real amiga.

Another important point is the ability to connect real amiga mice and joysticks to PC. Joysticks work well with winuae although mouse support isn't complete as far as I know. Unfortunately, windows doesn't detect them directly.

Old 25 March 2005, 00:38   #3
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

Thanks Pxscroll! Like I said I'm totally useless when it comes to technical stuff! I'm a quick learner though.

Thanks again.

So then in reality if I was to buy one next week, I could be playing all the good old games again?! I'm loving this! I've still got a lot of old games on floppy but I have a load of ADF's I wouldn't mind playing with a good old joystick again!

You're a star! Thanks!
Old 25 March 2005, 10:58   #4
tin

I use mine primarily for getting C64 disk images and writing them onto 5 1/4 floppys to play on a real C64. Assumung you are going to do the same thing with amiga disks and a real amiga (?) then you should have no problems with it.

Unfortunately I think 90 GBP for a device that only writes ami/c64 disks (cos of the other bugs and lack of support for other formats) is a bit steep (but still I paid it ) I hope Jens can sort it out
Old 25 March 2005, 16:11   #5
Amiga1992

Yep tha's a bit steep for that thing, I use the XE1541 cable to transfer stuff to my C64 disks, it's a kickass system, and works mighty fast.
Old 29 April 2005, 14:08   #6
Dwyloc

I am sure I only paid £70 for mine from amigakit, £90 sounds a bit much to me.
Old 29 April 2005, 19:08   #7
terryhan

Is it the same as a regular Amiga - two ports, one of which can be used for the mouse?

Or does it have one joystick port and a Ps2 style mouse connector?
Old 29 April 2005, 22:02   #8
oldpx

It has two 9pin ports but I could get only one working and current winuae doesn't support mouse yet.

Old 29 April 2005, 22:21   #9
tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwyloc
I am sure I only paid £70 for mine from amigakit, £90 sounds a bit much to me.
HMmm just checked and £84.79 it was, from KDH. Price for early adoption I expect?
Old 30 April 2005, 03:13   #10
Dwyloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin
HMmm just checked and £84.79 it was, from KDH. Price for early adoption I expect?
I know the feeling my DVD 4x +-R writer cost me £200 and are now selling for about £50 (Pioneer 106) now for a faster drive and my Blizzard 060/50 603e/200 with SCSI cost me £580 on preorder but I have no regrets with either of my purchases being an early adopter tends to be more expensive, but the quality tends to be higher, which has about a months pay at the time.

My BPPC card is production board number 12 (going by the serial number on the box) and apart from needing a new fan it has been running 24/7 since I purchased it back in 1997 and my DVD writer is also still going strong even though my friends have had to replace their cheaper writers more than once after failure in the same time period.

For that reason I have just ordered a new Pioneer 109 writer even though I now I can get other makes cheaper, I am quite happy to pay more for reliability, good write quality and media reliability.

I feel the same about my Catweasel purchase, as it allows me to backup my Amiga software that I started purchasing in 1990, with the added advantage that I will be able to use my kemston joystick I got as a present for my spectrum when I was about 9 to play Amiga and spectrum (after we get windows drivers) games under emulation.
Old 30 April 2005, 03:22   #11
Dwyloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxscroll
It has two 9pin ports but I could get only one working and current winuae doesn't support mouse yet.
But if you are running under Linux both the PS/2 ports and the two joystick port are now fully supported for normal use and use under UAE and E-UAE so I expected the windows drivers wont be to far behind.
Old 30 April 2005, 03:33   #12
Dwyloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxscroll
Welcome back
The problem is SID related. Right now I and many others experienced extreme problems with the C64's SID chip on catweasel but I didn't buy CW for SID so this doesn't bug me.
If you have a faulty board give Jens a call or an e-mail as I am sure he will get your problem sorted out. In my exeriance they are first rate for support and I would recomend them as how thing should work in a small market such at the Amiga one.

But there web site could do with being updated with new drivers a bit more frequently.

Last edited by Dwyloc; 01 May 2005 at 14:47.
Old 30 April 2005, 20:35   #13
amigakit.com

As you have mentioned, AmigaKit.com sell the Catweasel MK IV at £69.99 + p&p. Jens Schoenfeld has stated that only the early models had problems with the SID chips. To date we have never had any customer issues with any of the boards we've sold, but we only started selling them recently.

All our boards are latest spec and have a 2 year manufacturer warranty. We had a big shipment delivered yesterday so we have plenty of stocks...
Old 12 October 2005, 20:27   #14
THX1138
Amiga Centurai

Can the Catweasel make a disk image of an original amiga disk with copy protection ?
Old 13 October 2005, 13:18   #15
dirkies
Zone Friend

hey THX

from the spec:

- Dual-ported memory
Contrary to it's predecessors, the new Catweasel MK4 can pass the data that it is currently reading from a disk to the computer while the read access is running. This allows realtime emulation, and error-free function of copy-protected software on emulators.
Old 13 October 2005, 13:58   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies
This allows realtime emulation, and error-free function of copy-protected software on emulators.
Yes but this is not yet (and it has been ages since last update..) implemented in Catweasel's firmware. Disk-controller part currently only emulates MK3's controller.
Old 18 October 2005, 23:10   #17
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Just a thought... if the mk IV is half height.. hows that fitting on a standard pc tower?
Either have to take the plate off or... something else?
Old 19 October 2005, 00:03   #18
InTheSand

The card fits fine in a standard PC tower - it comes with a full-height bracket as well as two half-height ones so you can just use the one you require with it.

- Ali
Old 19 October 2005, 09:25   #19
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
ahh... I thought it would have to have something... but it never mentioned it in everything i`ve read so far! thanks Inthesand
Old 19 October 2005, 13:15   #20
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Send a message via MSN to Phiber
AFAIR Catweasel's features can be used through emulators, not directly from Windows.. There should be support for Catweasel MK4 in WinUAE and WinVICE.. Just read the instructions how to set it up..

Edit:

Err.. Scratch WinVICE for now.. just looked at the manual and couldn't find CW info there.. My memory played tricks on me... or i'm just blind

Last edited by Phiber; 19 October 2005 at 13:36.