English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 March 2005, 12:32   #1
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Send a message via ICQ to girv Send a message via AIM to girv Send a message via MSN to girv Send a message via Yahoo to girv
Amiga CD -> CloneCD

I've a couple or three Amiga CD-ROM games that I'd like to make backups of, using PC CloneCD. Are there any particular settings I should use or just do a general purpose "data cd" backup ?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 March 2005, 13:18   #2
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by girv
I've a couple or three Amiga CD-ROM games that I'd like to make backups of, using PC CloneCD. Are there any particular settings I should use or just do a general purpose "data cd" backup ?
I use the "Game cd" option when I do my backups.
What version of clone cd are you using?
Old 09 March 2005, 13:24   #3
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Send a message via ICQ to girv Send a message via AIM to girv Send a message via MSN to girv Send a message via Yahoo to girv
I've got 5.1.0.0.
Old 09 March 2005, 13:25   #4
keropi

Since there is no protections on the AmigaCD games AFAIK , you can use anything to make an image of the CD....
Old 09 March 2005, 13:43   #5
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
Since there is no protections on the AmigaCD games AFAIK , you can use anything to make an image of the CD....
True
Only Clone Cd feels secure and it's got a very simple interface...and let's not forget to lovely tune when the program is finished with it's task.
Old 09 March 2005, 13:56   #6
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Clone Cd is cool, but I like Blindwrite better, if you are looking for an alternative. It configures itself, and has a very simple interface too. It also isn't recognised as CD/DVD "emulation" software, which is good, because some apps and games these days force you to uninstall them before you can run them - Doom 3 is a good example. Not sure if it detects Clone Cd or not.

Potentially subversive message: highlight to read!
I have also found Blindwrite to be by far the best cd copier to get around Cd protections.
Old 09 March 2005, 20:51   #7
Npl

I case they also contain Audio-Tracks, the best Prog would be "ExactAudioCopy" since it rips Audio-Streams most accurately.
Old 10 March 2005, 06:35   #8
Medvind

What about Alcohol 120%? It surpasses CloneCD when it comes to newer protections and is equal when it comes to older (or none) CD protections. Not that it really matters when it comes to CD32 games, but still, it should be usable, right?

I'm planning to do a little "backuping" myself, so this is an interesting thread. The only way to go in my opinion is as close to the CAPS fashion as possible (well the spirit of it anyway.) But is such accuracy within reach when it comes to CD's?
Old 10 March 2005, 13:30   #9
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Folks - I just don't understand how anyone can even have the idea to use a file format which can only be used with commercial software for backups which are supposed to be 'timeless'. I can't imagine anything less practical for purposes of preservation.
Old 10 March 2005, 15:04   #10
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Mr Creosote, that is an incredibly obvious and incredibly good point! Why didn't I think of that

I guess ISO is the standard format for CD images and can be read by various freeware programs. Can it faithfully preserve Amiga games CDs ?
Old 10 March 2005, 15:26   #11
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke Send a message via Skype™ to Duke
Here's the TOSEC cd dumping guide: http://www.redump.de/guide.html. It needs a bit of updating, but it's basicly still the way we currently do it.
AdSense AdSense