English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 February 2005, 15:58   #1
MethodGit

eBay f*ckers piss me right off

Okay, I wanted to win two particular issues of Amiga CD≥≤ magazine here and here, and had them sniped for $10 each. What happens? Some wankers decide to bid/snipe just five or two seconds away from the end of the auction, closer to them than my snipe. I assumed a max of $10 would be all I needed to win a couple of magazines, but noooooooooooooo.

I so wanted to image the coverdiscs for idoru and co. as well.......
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 February 2005, 16:54   #2
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I know what you mean. I thought I had a nice safe secure bid on Cadaver The Payoff but nooOOOoo.

Thieving bast*rds!
Old 20 February 2005, 16:54   #3
[idoru]

How is their sniping any worse than your sniping ?

I was bidding on some of them...but didn't bid much as I only needed discs off 2 of them - the rest were to fill some magazine gaps. Quite surprised how much some of them went for.

There's always CD32 Gamers on ebay...just they never seem to be the ones I miss
Old 20 February 2005, 17:00   #4
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

As idoru], i don't see their sniping any worse than yours.
Old 20 February 2005, 18:50   #5
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Ive got loads of cd32 coverdisk's here, tell us what ones are missing and i could image them
Old 20 February 2005, 19:32   #6
Peanutuk

That's how ebay works, it's a bit much to call them 'thieves', it's just tough luck.
Old 20 February 2005, 20:03   #7
[idoru]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster
Ive got loads of cd32 coverdisk's here, tell us what ones are missing and i could image them
Sounds good

CD's we have, but contain audio - so need verifying before adding to the dats:
Amiga CD32 1, 2
Amiga CD32 Gamer 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 20
(although I think my 12 is probably damaged)

These are in the dat already but need a verifiying dump:
Amiga CD32 Gamer 13, 17, 18, 21

And Amiga CD32 Gamer 19, 22 I am missing the discs for atm.

We've also got all the Amiga Formats & CU Amiga's dumped, but a lot not added yet because of the need for verifying audio tracks - so if you or anyone else can help with that it'd be appreciated. I can post a breakdown of these if needed
Old 20 February 2005, 20:36   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit
Okay, I wanted to win two particular issues of Amiga CD≥≤ magazine here and here, and had them sniped for $10 each. What happens? Some wankers decide to bid/snipe just five or two seconds away from the end of the auction, closer to them than my snipe. I assumed a max of $10 would be all I needed to win a couple of magazines, but noooooooooooooo.

I so wanted to image the coverdiscs for idoru and co. as well.......
Shut up and quit whining.
Old 20 February 2005, 21:03   #9
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutuk
That's how ebay works, it's a bit much to call them 'thieves', it's just tough luck.
Indeed it is
Old 20 February 2005, 21:19   #10
tin
eezeenow!

The one rule of sniping is you must bid the absolute maximum you would pay for that item. If you do not win, then it went for more than you were willing to pay anyway so what's the problem?

Ebay has far more problems like dodgy sellers and buyers with hijacked accounts, fraudulent credit card details etc than just a couple of snipers... but then I can totally see why it might piss you off
Old 20 February 2005, 22:20   #11
keropi

yes, just put the maximum you wish to pay... I cannot understand why people complain that they lost an item for 1$ , when they are willing to pay 100$ more....
Old 20 February 2005, 22:40   #12
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Actually, their sniping isn't any worse than yours. Since they won, I'd say that their sniping is considerably better in fact. You just need to work on your sniping technique. Besides the suggestion that others have offered that you set your max bid to be as high as you'd be willing to go, I'd suggest that you also add an insignificant amount to that. I've won auctions before by bidding 10.01 or 10.03 when my top price I was willing to pay was 10.00. If someone else bids on the same item and they set their max at 10.00, your 10.01 can end up as the winning bid just because you didn't stop at 10.00 even.
Old 21 February 2005, 00:26   #13
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Oh dear, my tongue in cheek response seems to have been taken a bit too seriously.

I really didnt expect to have to point that out.
Old 21 February 2005, 00:44   #14
icewizard2k5

hmm... understandably annoying but the whole sniping thing never appealed to me.

i bid the maximum i would pay and then wait for the auction to finish.
also helps a little to bid uneven amounts and add cents.
Old 21 February 2005, 09:53   #15
manicx

If you can't win your game, play theirs. Decent eBay systems work with time extensions. Once you reach the last minute and somebody places a bid, the time is extended by 15 minutes. eBay doesn't work like this. At first, when I first registered eBay, I lost several auctions like this, but later on I got my revenge!
Old 21 February 2005, 15:24   #16
Akira

The 15 minutes extension is quite stupid. I don't mind sniping, I mean, I DO when someone snipes an object off me, but I learned to live with it
The thing is, in lots of cases, I engaged into bid wars, ending up with an emptier pocket. Just to win to that bastard who's sniping you, you know?
Old 21 February 2005, 16:16   #17
[idoru]

Can't say I get involved in all the sniping, I bid what I would be prepared to pay whenever I spot the auction - if it's got 5 days or 5 mins left. If I win, I win, if not there'll be another time

Recent case in point was a deleted book I'd been trying to buy for the last 2 years, I got outbid on ebay at least 20 times with it going for upto £95 and just a few weeks ago there was a Buy Now for £19 which I spotted first by pure luck. Deciding your price and sticking to it is your friend with ebay...otherwise you spend lots real quick.
Old 21 February 2005, 16:18   #18
keropi

I totally agree with [idoru]
Old 21 February 2005, 16:40   #19
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
why not contact the winner, ask him if he will copy the cds for you and offer him $10 for both, that way he has only paid $10 himself.

he was desperate to win the auction, so i bet he's an Amiga fan, tell him ur a big Amiga fan... he might help u out!

i've had this done to me, i contacted the winner, he actually copied the cds and didn't charge me much at all (just enough to cover P&P and blank cds)
Old 21 February 2005, 16:50   #20
Chuckles
The Ancient One

When I first started bidding on things on eBay, I did get my bids sniped a few times, even when I placed what at the time was the high bid with only a minute or so left to go. If I bid early and had told myself I'd be willing to pay 25, I'd often find that someone else would bid 25.25, in which case I'd have to struggle with whether or not I really wouldn't pay 25.50 for the item after all. Now if it is something I really want, I'll watch the bidding as the end of the auction approaches to see if the last minute bids drive the price too high. If they don't, then I'll put in my 25.01 bid with as little time left as possible. I don't always win, but I seem to do better than if I bid early, and I don't find myself getting sniped so often anymore.
AdSense AdSense