English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 14 February 2005, 04:00   #21
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 55
Posts: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiath
BTW - Please don't buy one just for IPF support. These things are never 100% guaranteed, and I don't want people pissed at us later if we don't do it for any reason.
I get what you're saying here fiath, however if somebody does purchase one of these boards and IPF writes never do materialize, then that's their own fault for basing the purchase on such a non-existant feature/function

Besides, this board has so many other features to it that you could get lost for quite some time just messing about with it
jmmijo is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 February 2005, 01:24   #22
tin
eezeenow!

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: chester
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard66
Hi,

I have my Catweasel MK4 at home.
The drivers from cd are not working for windows XP PRO.
So I contacted Jens From Individual Computers last friday.
PANTS PANTS PANTS PANTS!!!!!!

3 hours fucking around with my PC and after all it's not its fault!!!!!

emailing now.....
tin is offline  
Old 18 February 2005, 02:53   #23
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 55
Posts: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin
PANTS PANTS PANTS PANTS!!!!!!

3 hours fucking around with my PC and after all it's not its fault!!!!!

emailing now.....
Can you say PANTS one more time
jmmijo is offline  
Old 18 February 2005, 03:38   #24
tin
eezeenow!

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: chester
Posts: 407
PANNNNTS!!!

Jens is obviously glued to his keyboard and sent me the new drivers straight away, but now the SID don't work
tin is offline  
Old 18 February 2005, 04:21   #25
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Thalion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 34
Posts: 643
Please post these drivers in the zone. That saves me writing an email too and save jens from sending this driver to some more peeps.

Thalion
Thalion is offline  
Old 18 February 2005, 04:37   #26
tin
eezeenow!

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: chester
Posts: 407
sorry too busy dicking around with mine to have done it. I have now uploaded into teh zone, hope jens don't mind

problems I have at the moment:-

disk access - will read, won't write with imagetool, don't appear in windows - even though there's 10 drives in device manager.

SID so very very quiet that you turn it up so far the system background noise (sounds like generated by the SID) is WAYY louder than the SID, and the sound that is there sounds a bit crap.

...and that's after about 6 hours and 40+ reboots trying to get windows to recognise the board!!! GRRRRRR
tin is offline  
Old 18 February 2005, 08:53   #27
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn
Adeptus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 285
hmmm... so the drivers need some work then....
Adeptus is offline  
Old 18 February 2005, 12:20   #28
tin
eezeenow!

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: chester
Posts: 407
OK, heres the current situation:-

Jens seems surprised by the number of reboots and hours. I'll put some of that down to e.g. not knowing where to put the SID, Changing the disk drive config, PC having problems with PCI devices moved around, changing where the audio plugs in etc. etc. and being careful and powering off every time even if it's just to move a cable.

The SID I tried is fucked I tried it in a working c64 and it became a non working c64. Putting a non-fucked SID in is much better but it still doesn't sound anywhere near like a real c64, which is odd, so it's back out until I get another c64 to bastardise (can't live without a real c64!!!) ACID64 seems a bit weird as well, with an option called filter that just seems to turn off SID channel 3? - also it only comes out of the left speaker, presuming because the manual says you need 2 sids for stereo and the CW doesn't support yet.

Oh yeah and if you remove anything from the CW (SID or Drive) without removing the driver first XP hangs with at STOP on boot! great!

The drives are supposed to not appear in windows - which to me makes it odd to need 10x devices in device manager, but still.... Basically it appears all you can do is read or write disk images to disks. Not exactly all I hoped it would do. Also it seems to write disks OK now with one of my 5 1/4" drives, but refuses to read any disk that it's written - any disk my c64 has written reads OK (more weird!)..

there you go. I hope things improve with drivers, but I am a bit puzzled why the drivers aren't stronger seeing as it's version 4......

oh yeah and i've lost my action replay which is making it a bastard to load things in on the real c64
tin is offline  
Old 18 February 2005, 12:23   #29
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop
Methanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Roman Verulamium
Age: 51
Posts: 1,609
The rest of us are waiting for it to all get sorted out in the wild.... and hoping for CAPS support!
Methanoid is offline  
Old 18 February 2005, 13:32   #30
tin
eezeenow!

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: chester
Posts: 407
Perhaps I was a bit too hasty with my purchase
tin is offline  
Old 19 February 2005, 15:30   #31
lensman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: liverpool
Age: 39
Posts: 14
yeah tin..same probs here...wasted hours and it still wont work with the 2 SID chips ive got....thing is im not sure if the chips are buggered or not...got both of them "new"..and both sound very faint and distorted in the left channel...with bags of CPU noise (i can hear when im scrolling on a web page )..i really hope its the card drivers/hardware thats fked and not the chips......and the sound should come out of both channels.....all in all im very disapointed with it...jens should shoot whoever wrote the drivers for this thing.......maybe weve both got faulty cards tin?...i cant belive a company would release a product with totally non working drivers.........anyway if i find a solution ill post it here
lensman is offline  
Old 20 February 2005, 21:43   #32
tin
eezeenow!

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: chester
Posts: 407
According to the manual (sort of) the SID only works in the slot alongside the metal plate on the back in this version of the drivers. I got my (one and only ) working SID to work sort of OK in there.

The non working SID sounded really really quiet, and there was a hell of a lot of CPU noise (mouse movements, scrolling etc exactly like you say) because I had the volume cranked full to hear the SID. The working one is better because it's louder, but there's still the 'CPU' noise quite clearly audiable. Not what I expect when the site says it has special features to prevent noise coming in on the 12v rail!

Neither SID worked at all in the upper port. The manual to my interpretation describes that one port doesn't work yet, but it's the wrong way around.

However, with working SID in the correct slot and drivers installed etc, it still sounded grottier than my real C64 through the RF connection. Manky sound and channels drowning out each other at times - all a bit weird. So the SID went back into the REAL c64, until such time as a suitable donor comes along . I am a bit worried that drivers as such aren't going to be able to sort that problem tho - Basically NOT soundling like a 64 at all IMHO.

However it sounds like your SIDs both sounded like my broken one which is a bit worrying! I've confimed mine is broken by trying it in a real C64 that I know works.

Also AFAIK you only get the sound out of the left side at the moment because the 2nd slot doesn't yet work, and it would come out of the right?

With all this, the disk drive problems, the unreliability of the disk image software and the fact that it only supports basically 2 foriegn disk formats (Amiga and C64) I'm not best pleased with it...... I expected much better considering the blurb and the fact that it's revision 4!!

I will cross fingers and wait for better drivers!
tin is offline  
Old 21 February 2005, 01:49   #33
lensman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: liverpool
Age: 39
Posts: 14
shit!! ive been using both the sids in the port on the top of the card my manual must be cocked up..ill try it tomorrow (cant be arsed now) as for it coming out of the left channel in mono mode hope that will be fixed by drivers...im only going by my mates quatro midi SID card and the piggyback SID method on a real 64 sound like...basicly it takes it from a 2 channel mono to a 4 channel stereo (imagine what mods sound like on headphones from an amiga and you get the idea )as for the shit non 64 sound sounds like its something to do with the mem access.....i remember the old playsid prog on the amiga improved massivly when they upgraded the mem emulating part of the prog.....anyway im going to give this card a month or two then its on ebay...ive got my eye on an old breadbox c64 in a local game shop for 20 quid..thinking about using that as a music replayer thru a x1541 cable....but its a lot of messing round and cable building tho ...im praying jens gets back to me and tells me ive got a fucked card
lensman is offline  
Old 22 February 2005, 20:33   #34
lensman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: liverpool
Age: 39
Posts: 14
just got a mail back from wilfred bos who wrote acid64..acording to him the sids on the mk4 shouldnt sound anything like what you and i heard tin...he recons the cards are knackered and to get onto jens/versalia (where i got it from) about it....would make sense as my card came in a box with no antistatic bag ...out the left channel is normal for acid64 for now....plus a new version of acid should be out soon acording to wilfred! nice one!
lensman is offline  
Old 23 February 2005, 13:07   #35
tin
eezeenow!

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: chester
Posts: 407
Hmmm nice one for the info. I've not heard from Jens since my last post, but I do think I will be sending my catweasel back. Mine came without static bag as well.... Did you try your sid in the slot alongside the metal plate?
tin is offline  
Old 23 February 2005, 17:25   #36
lensman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: liverpool
Age: 39
Posts: 14
yeah did do tin..works the same as in the other sid slot BTW tin do you know if you can use a 6581 in the newer c64c instead of the 8580?..i bought a c64c on ebay for 20 quid a few days ago..and it would be nice if i could test the 6581s in it...just in case...cheers
lensman is offline  
Old 24 February 2005, 17:23   #37
lensman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: liverpool
Age: 39
Posts: 14
this was interesting.......

---snip---
> recently bought a mk4 from vesalia..thing is the SID portion of the card
> doesnt appear to work...ive been in contact with another mk4 owner whos
> had the same problems,basicly the sid portion plays...but at a greatly
> reduced volume and has alot of cpu noise..so you can barely hear
> it....ive tested it with 2 different 6581 SID chips with the same
> result.....also ive been onto wilfred bos...author of ACID64 (sid
> replayer) and he says its *posssibly* the card...
..to be more precise: The DC-DC converter. If the volume is way too low,
then the 12V for the SID might not be generated properly. I have one other
customer from Denmark who reported the same problem, and I'll investigate
this issue.
---snap---

So your problem is currently being investigated, we'll keep you
updated if there is any news.

defo sounds like the cards knackered!!!
lensman is offline  
Old 24 February 2005, 19:32   #38
amigakit.com
Registered User

amigakit.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: www.amigakit.com
Posts: 1,709
We sell the Catweasel MK IV in the UK - we are an authorised reseller of the item

You can buy it here

It is in stock now.

AmigaKit.com
amigakit.com is offline  
Old 25 February 2005, 10:06   #39
tin
eezeenow!

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: chester
Posts: 407
@lensman, I dunno about the 6581 in the c64c sorry. I might give it a go if you're too scared! Unbeleivably I found the other night I've got another c64 i didn't know I had so i've got spares ;-)

BTW on the quietness thing. I found that with a working 6581 in the slot next to the metal plate it DID work. IMHO The sound was grotty/odd phasing and only in the left, and there was still CPU noise, but it did work and the audio was clearly louder than the CPU noise. The first SID I tried was as quiet as you describe on here, but I found that pin 14 on the SID (and on the slot on the c64) was corroded and didn't work in a real C64 either.

@amigakit - I'd watch it! this is clearly a very early peice of hardware that isn't yet ready for release. I am exceptionally disappointed with mine, especially considering the price. I would expect a high return rate if I was selling them!
tin is offline  
Old 27 February 2005, 13:49   #40
richd
 
Posts: n/a
Mine arrived yesterday and I got around to installing it today. Installation was quite painless, used the configuration where it sits between my on-board FDC and the floppy drive. Didn't install a SID chip yet though because I run Windows XP Pro and the damn drivers don't work at all Looked in the zone to see if the ones previously uploaded were still there, but they've expired (bugger it) so emailed Jens and pray to God he replies soon - I really wanted to get messing with this today! Ahhh well. Right now it's a useless slap of circuitry that causes a protection error when shutting down Windows because the shutdown process cannot access the floppy drive

If anyone reading this has the updated driver please do the world a favour and post it somewhere?

Rich
 
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catweasel Mk4 Plus **new** amigakit.com MarketPlace 45 26 June 2013 05:53
Wanted: Catweasel Mk4 or Mk4+ musashi5150 MarketPlace 9 18 July 2012 13:48
FS : Catweasel MK4 zimgr5 MarketPlace 6 19 February 2009 21:47
Pegasos Amiga clone running MorphOS started shipping today. Pyromania Amiga scene 18 25 September 2006 16:31
Catweasel MK4 boing_1000 support.Hardware 5 29 June 2006 09:07

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.49945 seconds with 11 queries