English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 March 2005, 11:24   #21
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly
Robocop 2 - Great arcadey side scrolling shooter
Yeah,I also think is underrated. It has lot of quality and is very funny. An enjoy to massacre some ppl. unfortunately it has some flaws in design and gameplay.

my lists:

Overrated

Speedball2 - Itsnt an simulator,.. its frame rate is from an ST game. No variety in graphics. Always the same players graphics.

Banshee - Its quality is very high, but its playability is very bad. Just you feel nothing when play this one.

Project X - Not very attracting shoot´mup. Sometimes RicoHolmes graphics doesnt suit very good. Meanwhile AlienBreed graphics and title screen are perfect, in ProjectX do not works.

Myth - I prefer it on C64 or the different speccy version.

ChuckRock2 - Its nice, but seems an unfinished product.

Underrated

Z-Out - is smooth, is funny, is R-Type alike. The musics are terrific. The only negative points are weirdness of graphics and some weapons at some points.

ShadowDancer - Cool multidirectional scroll. very big sprites, just one disk. This game is the one of best of amiga.

Wolfchild - Very good platformer, with nice animations and cool tunes. sometimes lacks of more colour but..

Volfied - didnt got good reviews. But I think is a faithful conversion and very addictive.

Whizz - I think this is underrated because it got really low ratings (10 or 30 %) well, itsnt the better of the games but do not deserve so low score.
Maybe that review was about the ECS version, which Ive never played.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 March 2005, 12:23   #22
ST Dragon

Overrated

Assassin - Trys to beat Strider but fails.
Body Blows - Again Trying to beat SF, with one button control system? Don't think so...
Banshee - Nice graphics but boring gameplay & no music
Elfmania - Nice graphics but only six fighters to choose from... hhhm I'll try something else
Project X - Awesome graphics, but it's cheap difficulty level make it very unplayable
Overdrive - I just didn't like this. Very boring
Zool - This was no Sonic beater!
Uridium 2 - This game simply sucks

Underrated

Alien Breed SE '92 - This was the best AB imho. Best level layout & gameplay.
Apidya
Lionheart
Myth - I loved the multiple locations & puzzles of this game. Graphics & animation are also great.
Street Fighter 2 (ECS) - I actually liked this.

The only think I liked in Turrican 1 better than 2, was the 360 degrees Electricity-Lazer beam. Looked & sounded a lot more sinister than the 360 riple thing in Turrican 2.

Any links to alien bash 2?
Old 22 March 2005, 13:06   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

the laser in turrican 1 made the hero look like a dork. I didn't think T1 was al that great, but that's most likely because I played T2 first.

As for Assassin, you must mean Strider 2 I hope? (even then Assassin was better) Strider was a horrible conversion from the Sega. It played and sounded like it was only half finished (pah-pah-pah-pah etc.). Something which Strider 2 fixed for a large part.

I totally agree with the other games though.
Old 22 March 2005, 14:34   #24
ST Dragon

No I mean Strider 1 on the Genesis. A very good conversion from the arcades.

I think I tried Strider 2 on the AMIGA some time ago, but it wasn't that great. About as bad as part 1 & much worse than Assassin.

Last edited by ST Dragon; 22 March 2005 at 15:40.
Old 22 March 2005, 17:33   #25
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dragon
Zool - This was no Sonic beater!
Uridium 2 - This game simply sucks
Zool surely was not a Sonic beater, but a fine platform game anyway. So you judge all Amiga games as "sonic beaters" or not? Then all Amiga gplatform games are shite, because NONE is a Sonic beater.

Now your remark about Uridium surely comes out of ignorance. Uridium is one of, if not only, the finest Amiga shmups to hit the machine, and an exclusiive one at that! The gameplay is super TIGHT and the random attack waves is something superb, and definitely very different from the same old "memorize everything" shit I am used to in shmups all over the history.

Quote:
Alien Breed SE '92
Apidya
Lionheart
UNDERRTED? THESE? Are you nuts? These are some of the most popular Amiga games.
Old 23 March 2005, 01:50   #26
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dragon
Any links to alien bash 2?
You can find it at Back 2 the Roots or Planet Emulation, probably.
Old 23 March 2005, 04:06   #27
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Zool was regarded as a "Sonic Beater" on reviews back at time. Which surely wasn't , that's why it's overrated. Zool 2, in the other side, is nearly the same quality of Sonic IMO (At least on gameplay side), though it doesn't play all that much like Sonic.

I don't think Apidya was SO popular. I think it didn't sell all that well, and it was shadowed by Project X that was released just a little bit after. Apidya got good reviews, but not as good as Project X, and never got half of the praise that Apidya had. Project X was a benchmark to compare amiga shmups, while Apidya was just forgotten with time.
Apidya was 3253247635789856 times better than Project X.

Now it's funny how I put Uridium 2 as UNDERRATED and someone else put it as OVERRATED.

It reminds me of a poll that Amiga Action had once... Zool was considered the best game of year, the 3rd worst game of year, and the 2nd most overrated game of year..WEIRD or what? .
Old 23 March 2005, 06:02   #28
BlaCkAdDa
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to BlaCkAdDa
hmmm overrated...

Zool & Superfrog - Good yes, sonic/mario beater they aint
Mortal Kombat - I have to swap the disk again!
Micro Machines - Ok it's fun but why a classic?
Agony - nice gfx, now what about the game?
Project X (actually I could substitute most team 17 games here like body blows)
Tower of Babel - was supposed to be successor to the Sentinel but I couldn't get into it

Underrated

Obliterator - A great game if people could get used to the controls
TV Sports Basketball - The NBA Live before there was NBA Live!
Hostages - Counterstrike before Half Life came along
Lure of the Temptress - Probably most involving point & click game I ever played
Dune - the first one, great gfx, music, and a blend of RTS and Adventure!
Yo Joe - I know it got good reviews, but no one talks about it like zool & superfrog etc, yet I think it was the superior platformer
Utopia - The grand daddy of the modern RTS (while most ppl think it was Dune2)
Old 23 March 2005, 11:35   #29
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Speaking of Psygnosis games, I wonder how Theatre of Death did. I had the Amiga Action demo which I thought was a lot of fun, but I never heard this game being mentioned anywhere else.

Underrated?

Why Micro Machines is a classic? I've never seen another game where you'd cram four people behind the same computer to play
Old 23 March 2005, 17:14   #30
Akira

Micro Machines is a superb game, and no mistake. If you never played it 4-player then you missed 3/4 of the action!

Yo!Joe is a mighty fine game and no mistake, it's got that REAL console/arcadey feel!
Old 23 March 2005, 17:28   #31
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Overrated

Agony - It was pretty bad to be fair
The great gina Sisters - It was crude mario clone
Gloom - Bollocks
Moonstone- Very poor imho

Underrated

Fury of the Furries - It was truly hypnotic
Wizkid - Can you say pure genius??
Quak - Was this underrated?? Well it was darn good fun.

Last edited by Smiley; 26 February 2006 at 13:12.
Old 23 March 2005, 18:01   #32
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

Agony is the most overrated game ever. The graphics, and the intro music are great but where's the gameplay??

Your totally right Akira,the 4-player mod in Micromachines rocks!! Anyone that haven't tested it yet should do it, NOW!

Last edited by Mr_Modem; 24 March 2005 at 17:13.
Old 23 March 2005, 22:07   #33
BlaCkAdDa
Zone Friend

Ok I'll lay off the micro machines... wasn't bashing it but didn't think it was worthy of 'classic' ...obviously it is ... I'll replace it with 'Crazy Cars' which I thought was crap .. but I'm just not sure anyone ever rated it

Also 'Epic' was a great game, was well rated at the time, but I've never heard of it since. Amiga never needed 'Wing Commander' when we had a better game in 'Epic'

I'll add 'Arabian Nights' as an underrated platformer too thx., and 'Fire and Ice' as overrated to maintain the balance.
Old 24 March 2005, 00:35   #34
JudasEZT

Epic was disapointing. I think thats what the majority of ppl felt when was released. Too many slowdowns,.. I had understood in AtariST doesnt slows, and in Pc sure it doesnt and moreover have decent explosion bitmap graphics.

Respect Fire&Ice, I think is the best platformer of Amiga, and one of the best of every system. You have it ECS, you have it AGA.. in other threads we were talking about Sonic-beater. This is, defnitively much more cute, much more funny, and with brill programming.
Old 24 March 2005, 06:38   #35
BlaCkAdDa
Zone Friend

I dunno I didn't mind fire and ice, but don't think it's as good as arabian nights, yo joe and woodys world.
Old 24 March 2005, 15:43   #36
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Do not compare Hostages to Counter Strike.

Hostages is a billion times better game. Hostages is awesome, and truly underrated.

Yay! Someone else likes Woody's World! This, Yo! Joe, Arabian Nights and Soccer Kid are better than Zool or Super Frog for sure!
Old 24 March 2005, 16:28   #37
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasEZT
Respect Fire&Ice, I think is the best platformer of Amiga, and one of the best of every system. You have it ECS, you have it AGA.. in other threads we were talking about Sonic-beater. This is, defnitively much more cute, much more funny, and with brill programming.
Yeah, it have great graphics but no gameplay. I think McDonalds Land is a very good underrated platformer.
Old 24 March 2005, 16:53   #38
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

My most overrated would have to be:-

1. Speedball 2
2. Rainbow Islands
3. Turrican 2
4. Settlers
5. Zool

Most underrated would be:-

1. Might & Magic 2
2. Supercars 2
3. Addams Family
4. Future Basketball
5. Player Manager
Old 24 March 2005, 17:13   #39
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeewolf
My most overrated would have to be:-

1. Speedball 2
2. Rainbow Islands
3. Turrican 2
4. Settlers
5. Zool

Most underrated would be:-

1. Might & Magic 2
2. Supercars 2
3. Addams Family
4. Future Basketball
5. Player Manager
What!? Turrican 2 and Settlers is overrated!? Settlers is one the best strategy games ever made (although the PC version was better).
Old 24 March 2005, 17:59   #40
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Modem
What!? Turrican 2 and Settlers is overrated!? Settlers is one the best strategy games ever made (although the PC version was better).
They're only my personal opinions. I'm 99% sure you probably think my most underrated are dodgy, but I liked these games and played them for hours. With regards to my overrated games, I never really could get into settlers, it bored me senseless to be honest with you and thats why thats there. I cant put my finger on why I never really liked Turrican 2. Maybe I just didn't give it the time of day. Once I'm back up and running again, I'll relive all these games.
AdSense AdSense